March 2012 Moms
Options

Someone please calm me down...long...

So I've been looking at daycares for our little guy for months now and found one that I liked. Well DH saw one of our neighbors outside today and she asked about all the remodeling we are doing and DH mentioned we were getting ready for the baby by redoing carpeting and a few other things. She asked if we had a daycare or babysitter lined up yet and DH said I had one that I liked but we weren't sure yet. She mentioned that she had been watching kids for 35 years and was actually looking for more kids to watch because all of her kids are grown up and going to school! Perfect! She is two doors down and will work with DH's schedule since he has some months where he is on second shift and some where he works Saturday's or Sunday's and we would only have to send Mason to her 4 days a week. She charges $100 a week which would be about half as much a month as we'd spend on daycare!

So what's the problem? I don't want him to go anywhere. I would LOVE to be able to stay home with him all the time but we just can't afford to be down to just one income. I just cried during my 20 minute shower because I can't let my son go already and I still have ~5 weeks until he is here and then 12 weeks of maternity leave.

Someone please tell me he'll be ok because I have all sorts of situations running through my head of what could happen! It's just upsetting to think about and DH just keeps saying "you have a long way to go before he has to go to her!" So he is zero help. Thanks for any input ladies and sorry this got so long Embarrassed.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Someone please calm me down...long...

• Options

I don't have kids yet other than the one baking, but my sister has 2.  They have both been in daycare from 6 weeks on and they are now 6 and 1 1/2.  She cherishes the time she spends with them so much more than I could ever imagine.

She said when you go pick them up from daycare and they get bug eyed and run up to you screaming "Mommy!!!!"  It's worth it all :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We had to start sending DS1 to a babysitter when I got put on bed rest.  I am not going to lie, it was really hard for me, but we found someone really great to keep him.  I know that he as a good time there and that he is well taken care of.  I miss him a lot, but it is what is best for our family as a whole right now.  You are fortunate to have found someone close by who is willing to be flexible with your schedule.  Just make the most of the time you do get to spend with him and know that he is in good hands during the day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I so feel you on this.  I've been so upset at the thought of putting our baby in daycare or leaving him with someone that it brings me to tears.  I'll probably only get 6 weeks off for maternity leave and that just seems like way too early to leave him.  And I feel so guilty.  

But I remind myself of these things:

- We can't afford to live on just one income.  We could do it for a little while, but not long term.  So there's not a lot we can do about it...we just have to make the best of it. 

- The stress of being broke all the time wouldn't be any better for our child than if I worked.  We've been there and I know how stressful it is.  I want to be able to buy the things he needs without worrying if we have money to pay our bills.  I also want to be able to save money so that we can be financially stable in the future.  

- I think the quality of time you spend with your children is just as or more important than the quantity you spend with them.  DH and I have already made changes to be able to spend as much time outside of work as a family.  We will make sure LO knows that he has a mother and father that love spending time with him.

- I'm going to do everything I can to find the best care for him during the day.  If I trust the person keeping him, I know I'll feel so much better about my decision.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! It just really hit me when we went to talk with her that this was actually going to happen and I will have to let him go! I know we can't afford to be down to one income, I was laid off for a few months in 2010 and that was stressful enough! I guess these won't be the only tears I shed for him but it just hit me all at once when we got home from talking to her!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I am so so sorry you are sad today.  But you are doing what is best for your baby and family by working.  You will be much less stressful and be a better mother for it.  I am sure my first days back to work with be very very hard I am sure I will cry but the extra security and less stress will lead to a happier healthier home life.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"