Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

RP from 12-24: paci weaning...(recommendations? kids books?)

DS still takes a paci for sleeping. It's not allowed outside of his crib, but since we have a new baby coming and he's 2, we think it's time to wean him of the paci completely. We're soooo nervous though!! He sleeps and naps great, and we just don't want to mess him up!! I notice that he usually spits out the paci once he's asleep, it's not like he sucks on it all night long. So I'm hoping that means it won't be too hard?!

Please share with me your paci-weaning stories. What worked? What didn't work? Did you buy any books to read to your LO to prepare? DS LOVES books...so a cute children's book about saying bye to the paci would be good for him I think. I'm looking on amazon for something.

TIA
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: RP from 12-24: paci weaning...(recommendations? kids books?)

• Options
    We liked the book Pacfiers Are Not Forever.  We read it for a few weeks leading up to the big day.  Then the binky fairy called and told the girls to leave their pacifiers in a special box and that the box would be full of presents in the morning.  There were some tears, but nothing too awful.  Then we had organic lollipops for the girls to suck on for a few days since they were used to binkies during awake time.  Good luck!
  • Options

I was right where you are but I was amazed by how easy it was.  We did the "broken" thing where you snip off the ends so they don't work anymore.  What I did was snip them all, then left one out during the morning where she'd find it.  When she discovered it and tried it out, I told her it was broken and we'd have to throw it away - and she did.  Did the same thing at naptime - gave her one, she discovered it was broken, and we threw it away.  She asked for them for several days, but no tears or fits at all (frankly I was shocked), when I told her they were broken and we'd thrown them away.

So anyhow, there's an idea.  I feel a little guilty about "breaking" them but it totally worked for us! 

She already understood "broken" very well and throwing things away, which helped. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We went cold turkey around 18 months. I did it over a 3 day weekend. It was a lil rough him falling asleep in the beginning but it's been fine ever since. We never looked back! GL
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We just went cold turkey and took them away one morning. They had some minor breakdowns the first couple of days but nothing big. They all did really well with it and slept a lot better in general. They were also huge paci fans and had to have them all the time before I did this. Good luck on whatever route you choose.
  • Options

We started talking up "pacis are for baby's and you're growing to be a toddler now" and "we'll be all done with paci soon, no more paci", then after a few days of that we went cold turkey with it.

It felt a bit extreme, but she'd gotten into the habit of chewing them until they were all cracked (chewed through one a night three days in a row and that was when I said "this must end!") and dangerous. In the face of such danger I thought, "we need to be done, and fast".  

It took her a good week to get back to normal, but really, that's not long. She still has her comfort bear, so I really think she got over it. Now she sees them on babies and she's all "pacis for babies!" Never had a threat or thought of relapse. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    imagesarahsteve:

I was right where you are but I was amazed by how easy it was.  We did the "broken" thing where you snip off the ends so they don't work anymore.  What I did was snip them all, then left one out during the morning where she'd find it.  When she discovered it and tried it out, I told her it was broken and we'd have to throw it away - and she did.  Did the same thing at naptime - gave her one, she discovered it was broken, and we threw it away.  She asked for them for several days, but no tears or fits at all (frankly I was shocked), when I told her they were broken and we'd thrown them away.

So anyhow, there's an idea.  I feel a little guilty about "breaking" them but it totally worked for us! 

She already understood "broken" very well and throwing things away, which helped. 

This. Except he was chewing little holes in them, so I didn't have to break them for him. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"