October 2011 Moms
Options

Flat head (pip)

So I'm pretty concerned about E's flat head. Its only flat on one side (her right) but it appears to be pretty severe to me. I go back and forth with "Oh, its getting better" to "Oh my gosh, this is terrible." She is able to turn her head both ways and I've done everything I could to make sure she doesn't always lay on that side (switch sides on the changing table, crib, and bath tub). I hold her a good portion of the day or she is doing tummy time. I limit her playmat time to only 15 minutes per day (spread out) adns he is only in her carseat when she would be napping otherwise.  She even sleeps on the non-flat side overnight for the most part.

She has her 4-month appointment in 2 weeks but I don't know if I should go sooner. Obviously MH isn't here to talk me down from this craziness so I wanted to see what you ladies thought. I'm kind of embarrassed of this pip because its so terrible and I feel horrible every time I look at it. The picture is taken from the side that is not flat so you can see the discrepancy. TIA.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
BFP February 2011; DD born October 15, 2011
CP: December 2012
Miscarriage: February 2013
Blighted Ovum: July 2013

Re: Flat head (pip)

• Options

To ease your concern, it wouldn't hurt to bring her in.  I have no idea if her head is more flat than the average baby, but you seem pretty upset, so I'd say just make an appt. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagemrs.lizzieb:

To ease your concern, it wouldn't hurt to bring her in.  I have no idea if her head is more flat than the average baby, but you seem pretty upset, so I'd say just make an appt. 

This.  Babies head arent perfectly round to begin with, but if you are really concerned, just call.  I thought I read that it would change the way their ears are aligned?  That that is one of the ways to tell if it is severe?  Im sorry, I dont know much about it.  I really think you should just call them and ask...the worst that will happen is that you go in and they arent concerned, and then if there is a concern, then at least you addressed it as soon as possible.  

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagemattandbekah:
    imagemrs.lizzieb:

This.  Babies head arent perfectly round to begin with, but if you are really concerned, just call.  I thought I read that it would change the way their ears are aligned?  That that is one of the ways to tell if it is severe?  Im sorry, I dont know much about it.  I really think you should just call them and ask...the worst that will happen is that you go in and they arent concerned, and then if there is a concern, then at least you addressed it as soon as possible.  

I agree with the above posters. DS's flat spot is similar to your DD's. Both the pedi and his physical therapist have said it is mild.  They do see if their ears are aligned, that is one of the ways they determine how bad it is. She just sat him in front of her and had him look forward and put one finger right above each of his ears to see if they were level.

My son is being treated for torticollis. He is able to move his head to both sides and he does sleep on both sides of his head he just favors the right side. He has a very mild case of torticollis, but his doctors want to be proactive. We go to physical therapy once a week and they've given me exercises that we do daily.  It's only been a couple weeks since we started, but I do think it's getting better. We are giving it a month and if it hasn't improved we will get his head measured and start discussing a helmet.

• Options
    This sounds bad but I was hoping someone would post a pic so I could compare.  As far as I can tell by touch alone, my LO's head is about the same as E's.  The left side is round but the right-rear is flat, and this is the side she favors.  Like yours she can turn her head both ways and I feel like I'm being as proactive as possible to keep her off that side, so I'm not overly concerned.  If it's worrying you though you should go see your doc just for peace of mind.
  • Options

imagecanterbearytails:
    This sounds bad but I was hoping someone would post a pic so I could compare.  As far as I can tell by touch alone, my LO's head is about the same as E's.  The left side is round but the right-rear is flat, and this is the side she favors.  Like yours she can turn her head both ways and I feel like I'm being as proactive as possible to keep her off that side, so I'm not overly concerned.  If it's worrying you though you should go see your doc just for peace of mind.

Me too! I just kind of want to see the difference. None of my nieces had this issue so to me its kind of nerve-wracking. 

Thanks for all the advice, ladies, and I'm sorry its taken me to long to reply back! Its just been one of those days....I called my pedi to make an appointment and the soonest they had was the day before her 4 month so I figure I'll just have to wait until then, no point in going twice in 2 days. I'm still pretty worried about it but her ears seem to be aligned (I had never heard this so thank you!). I hope my pedi will be proactive about it but I know I'll have to fight for it because they are kind of sticklers when it comes to military healthcare. So thank you for all your advice, I really appreciate it!

BFP February 2011; DD born October 15, 2011
    CP: December 2012
    Miscarriage: February 2013
    Blighted Ovum: July 2013
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"