November 2011 Moms

IL's annoying nicknames for LO

DD's name is Colette. MIL has taken to calling her Colettie. It grates on my nerves b/c her name is not conducive to adding an -ie on the end, which is part of why I love her name. Ugh; every time I hear it I cringe inside. MIL also calls her Chubette; but thankfully not in front of me! I didn't know this until SIL told me.

Other SIL has picked up on it too, and has called her Colettie Betty. Really??? Our nickname for her is Coco, but they haven't used it at all. I just want to say, Please stop.

Anyone else's LOs been horribly nicknamed by family already?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: IL's annoying nicknames for LO

• For some reason my dad calls LO "cricket" but it doesn't bother me. I call my baby chubs but I wouldn't like it if anyone else did. MIL refers to my husband as "papa".. THAT gets on my nerves. But so does everything else that woman says.
  • MIL calls Enzo "Enzito" sometimes. I'm not a fan.
  • Loading the player...
  • omgosh so glad you posted this!! :P 

Its not my in law, its my own father! My dad keeps calling William "billy bob" and I want to kill him for it!!! Every time he does it,  I say "dad, I HATE THAT stop calling him that please."  But he still does it and chuckles like its some big joke. AHHK!  I actually didn't want to use an nickname at all (yet) but I gave him two other alternatives just so that he wouldn't keep saying billy bob.  That didn't work :(  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageCrimsonStar:
     Our nickname for her is Coco, but they haven't used it at all. I just want to say, Please stop.

Coco is the cutest nickname ever.  They are crazy for not using it!  You should have DH say something to them! 

• imageACAsomeday:

imageCrimsonStar:
     Our nickname for her is Coco, but they haven't used it at all. I just want to say, Please stop.

Coco is the cutest nickname ever.  They are crazy for not using it!  You should have DH say something to them! 

Thanks! I should have DH say something. Hoping he will, otherwise I might get snippy and explode at some point... I expressed my disgust after SIL's bday dinner Sun night, when I actually heard "Colettie Betty" used. He knows, he doesn't like the names either.

I just really loathe adding -ie onto names; it sounds wussy!
  • My daughter's name is Charlotte but her chosen nickname by me is Charlie.  My FI's sister and mother call her "Char" I hate that name!  They even went ahead and bought her clothes that say "Char's First Christmas!"  My FI thankfully said "Ashley doesn't like you calling her Char."  Hope that gets the point across!
  • FMIL calls him her little man and my mom and sisters call him their baby. Last time I checked he was MY child. It really grinds my gears. My mom calls me momma sometimes and it's weird to me. I always tell her to stop because I am not her mom.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Our son's name is Owen Robert, but we kept the first name a secret until he was born. About halfway through, my MIL decided that we should name him Richard Robert and call him Dickie Bob. I think (hope) she was joking at the time, but DH's whole family thought it was awesome, and even now, after he has a "real" name, they still call him Dickie Bob. It makes me want to scream.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagesap05e:
    For some reason my dad calls LO "cricket" but it doesn't bother me. I call my baby chubs but I wouldn't like it if anyone else did. MIL refers to my husband as "papa".. THAT gets on my nerves. But so does everything else that woman says.

I knew a girl who was called Cricket as a baby...it stuck and that is now what everyone in her adult life knows her as.  I think it's cute.

It's not a nickname, but MIL always asks LO if he wants a "hot juicy bot-tee" when it's time to give him a bottle.  For some reason this imagery just grosses me out. We don't even warm his bottles :)

• My Grandma wanted to call DD Lexi (Alexis is her MN) but I told that she was calling her Selene, end of story.  My Brother also calls her Sappy sincer he initials are SAP, but that one doesn't bother me as much because he just calls her that on the phone to me, never to her face.

I just call her Shorty.

Mc 6/2/08 at 6w2d * CP 11/22/08 * CP 1/21/09 - Dx compound heterozygous MTHFR 3/23/09 - BFP 3/24/09
  • DS is named Clayton, but I'm not crazy about the nn Clay. I know its kind of a natural nn and if DS himself someday likes it that's fine. But now it really bugs me when other people call him that. Especially when you TELL them Clayton and they say "hi Clay", ugh....

Otherwise my Mom calls him Little Chaddie (DH is names Chad) - I don't mind that. I don't really have a nn for him yet, but I'm sure I will as he gets older.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My IL haven't come up with any nick names for DD yet, but they call my nephew raft.  Yeah. . . his name is Jackson.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • my mom calls my 6 month old nephew Grunt-Boy lol really and mom.. thats terrible. so because of that ive warned her about nicknames lol. they tend to call her peanut (mom and sister) which my FI hates lol.
  • So far the only crazy nicknames for Addy have come from me. My FIL was actually nice enough to ask whether we were using Adelle or a nickname for her. We told him Adelle or Addy is fine, and he's sticking with it! I'm in shock, honestly. It's the first time that man has ever really listened to what DH and I have wanted.
  • imageCatkel1202:

imagesap05e:
    For some reason my dad calls LO "cricket" but it doesn't bother me. I call my baby chubs but I wouldn't like it if anyone else did. MIL refers to my husband as "papa".. THAT gets on my nerves. But so does everything else that woman says.

I knew a girl who was called Cricket as a baby...it stuck and that is now what everyone in her adult life knows her as.  I think it's cute.

It's not a nickname, but MIL always asks LO if he wants a "hot juicy bot-tee" when it's time to give him a bottle.  For some reason this imagery just grosses me out. We don't even warm his bottles :)

Yeah, I think that imagery would gross me out too! But then again, DH will say DD is "looking for tittie" sometimes when she's acting hungry, and asks me if I'm ready to whip one out. He's a comedian!
  • IL's call LO "little bit." It makes me cringe, partly because that's what they call DH's nephew and that kid is such a brat.
  • My baby was born with a blocked and infected tear duct, that we think caused her a lot of pain because she was a MUCH happier baby as soon as it all cleared up. Well, she was sort of difficult to care for and cried a lot, so my ILs called her "The Judge" because they said she was always deciding whether or not what you were doing was acceptable.

I mean, c'mon! It's a baby in pain constantly, I think we can cut her some slack! 

• imagemaggielovesjoe:
    Our son's name is Owen Robert, but we kept the first name a secret until he was born. About halfway through, my MIL decided that we should name him Richard Robert and call him Dickie Bob. I think (hope) she was joking at the time, but DH's whole family thought it was awesome, and even now, after he has a "real" name, they still call him Dickie Bob. It makes me want to scream.

That would drive me nuts! 

• Ugh. My nicknames for LO include "fussy bunbuns" and just "bunbuns" and for some reason my mom bastardized the name into "bon bon" and that's what she calls him now. I don't know why I find it so annoying but I do. I'm clearly a bit possessive of my nicknames! If you're going to use one of my nicknames, do it right!
  • imagebeedawn:
    FMIL calls him her little man and my mom and sisters call him their baby. Last time I checked he was MY child. It really grinds my gears. My mom calls me momma sometimes and it's weird to me. I always tell her to stop because I am not her mom.

My mom calls my LO her little angel and her baby too. I thought I was the only one that found that weird. Tongue Tied

• imageCatkel1202:

Ewww that IS gross! My MIL called the paci a "dingy" - that was pretty gross too. 

• I just remembered that my mom has referred to DD (over email) as MAS - her initials! I don't like really like that.. she only does it because my cousin refers to her daughter (Brooklyn Kennedy) as BK. Not the same kid, mom.
  • Griffin has become "Griff" and "Griff Griff"

We respond back using him name correctly....Griffin

#2-BO 6/6/13 D/C     #3 natural m/c 8/6/13 

#4 EDD 5/19/14 It's a boy! 

• imageashleylach:
    My daughter's name is Charlotte but her chosen nickname by me is Charlie.  My FI's sister and mother call her "Char" I hate that name!  They even went ahead and bought her clothes that say "Char's First Christmas!"  My FI thankfully said "Ashley doesn't like you calling her Char."  Hope that gets the point across!

This would bother me too, sounds like a pokemon. My MIL calls Arianna Peanut which is cute. SIL calls her lizard because she is always sticking her tongue out. Not sure how I feel about that one. I call her Ari and baby girl and little miss. DH calls her Poot. Everyone says something different. I HATE when my mom says " my baby" No, she mine!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFetus Ticker
  • Oh. My. Goodness. 

My Mom was calling LO "Squirt" for the longest time. It made me upset because he was pre-term and was pretty small (5 lbs 12 oz). I didn't feel like she needed to point it out even more. My Dad said something to her about it and now she calls him "Punkin." Which is still annoying, but not as bad as "Squirt."

My parents also refer to him as "our baby" or "our boy." I have tried multiple times to jokingly say, "He's OUR baby." but they just respond with, "He can be Grandma/Grandad's boy right NOW." My thoughts? You weren't there when he was made or born, he doesn't belong to you. 

DH calls him "Buddy" and I call him "Lovebug" every once in a while. I also call him "Landry Love."  

Because you're mine, I walk the line....
    Landry Mark: 11/5/11
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • DD's name is Violet. Somehow I started calling her Violetta which led to Violetta Spaghetta...and last night I called her Sketti. That last one is pretty bad. It's weird how kids get their nicknames. With DS, his name is Ethan and middle name is Thomas so we call him Turkey Tom. It's since been shortened to Turk, which I think is alright. 
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • People (including me) have all kinds of nicknames for DD but they don't bother me. If they keep it up when she is older it would probably bug me but for a baby almost any nickname sounds cute.

The only thing that bothers me is when FI's grandma makes a big deal about being the great-grandma but that only bothers me because my grandma who was my favorite person in the world passed away a week before I got my BFP.

• My IL's joked about calling LO Josaphat (his feast day was Nov. 12) if he came on that day or close to it.  That was never going to happen-LO's name is Elijah and his nn is Eli.  I thought that since he was born that they had stopped...but apparently not.  To the point where FIL had to ask MIL what his name was!  At least they don't do it in front of me.

Also, LO's initials are ET so that was a nn for a while and I actually didn't mind it but I think the rest of the family stopped the one or two people who were calling him that.

And EVERYBODY calls LO 'their' baby.  My IL's, my actual family-even my sister.  I think the only person who doesn't is my dad.  Like pp poster said, I've jokingly mentioned that if they weren't there for the conception or for the delivery then he's not their baby...but it hasn't made any difference.  It annoys me so much but I put up with it (for now) because I know it just means that they're excited. 

• Some family members have already thrown around "Chuck"...which doesn't bother me as much as "Chucky". I correct them real fast so they know it's Charles or Charlie. I tell them the other C-words are offensive! ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"