Toddlers: 24 Months+

Hysterically crying in the middle of the night

Every once in a while DS will wake up screaming and crying hysterically in the middle of the night and it literally takes about 10 minutes for him to calm down.  He won't let me touch him while he is going through these fits and I really have no idea if he's even awake, even though he will push me away and say no over and over.  I've learned to just stroke his hair or not even touch him.  Anyone else experience this?  I don't know if he's in pain or having a nightmare.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Hysterically crying in the middle of the night

• It sounds like a night terror.  Ds has them occasionally, and there's really nothing you can do but ride them out.  I don't pick him up because that tends to prolong them.  I think they're pretty common in toddlers.
  • Just last night I heard DS cry out twice.  Once was a little more pronounced than the other.  But I didn't go up and just waited - it's happened before and I figure that unless he keeps crying, I'm going to let it work itslef out.  I really do think it's all in his sleep.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Loading the player...
  • sounds like DD night terror... I'm the only one who can calm her, if hubs goes in there then she gets more upset.
  • I was wondering if they are night terrors.  That breaks my heart.  Luckily he doesn't seem to remember them the next day.
  • DS has had night terrors on and off for quite a while (and he's only 2 1/2!) and that sounds like the same thing. The only things that have calmed him down for us are to either pick him up and carry him out of the room into light and show him things that are "normal" eg - "here's the couch where we watch your show, here's your toys, here's mommy and daddy's room" etc.  Or, once or twice I've had to gently direct his face to look right at my face and say his name and that mommy is here and that snapped him out of it. If we don't intervene he cries for quite a long time (45 minutes once!) and we're worried he'll really give himself a sore throat :-( Poor little guy

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"