Pregnant after a Loss
Options

Need ideas please! (nursery furniture)

So I posted the other day about getting a changing table for free from a friend's friend.  The table is in surprisingly good shape.  It looks basically like this...

but it's in natural wood which I'm not a fan of.  

The cribs we are planning on getting are these in this dark espresso color...

I want them to match somewhat and I am wondering if I should paint the changing table... or sand and restain it?  What do you think I should do to make it match a little more? I tried searching pinterest to see if there were any ideas on there but apparently I'm pinterest illiterate because I couldn't find anything. If you have any sites or PIPs I'd be interested in seeing them!  Thanks!

BFP 6/20/10 1st M/C- 7/3/10~ 6 w 1 d
BFP 9/13/10- Chemical Pregnancy discovered 9/16/10
BFP 2/23/11 EDD 2nd M/C 3/20/10~ 7 w 6 d
BFP 9/17/11- Twins! Alice Nichole 5/15/12 Colette Parker 5/15/12
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Need ideas please! (nursery furniture)

• Options

Couple of things (from experience)...

If you do plan on sanding and staining it, you'll want to know what type of wood you're dealing with and then go to a place like Sherwin-Williams to look at stains.  They'll have a ton of samples that demonstrate how the same stain can look different depending on the type of wood.

I sanded and stained some old coffee tables I inherited two summers ago and it was quite the project.  I did most of it by hand until I got my father's sander.  The problem with doing a changing table is the surface area is a lot smaller, so you may have to do some sanding by hand.  So just be forewarned that it's a LOT of work.

Another idea is to talk to Sherwin-Williams about an oil-based paint to use on the table and pick a darker color to complement the crib.  This is the type of paint I used on the legs of my coffee table.  It's a very durable type of paint (easy to clean) and it's pretty forgiving when it comes to hiding brush marks.  This would cut down the amount of time you need to spend on the project.  

I've never spray painted a piece of wood, but I see it done on HGTV all the time.  This might be another option, but one that I'd do as a last resort just because spray paint can run and so you may not like the end result.

Just remember, all of these options are too dangerous for you to do yourself so hopefully DH will be up for the challenge! 

• Options

The oil based paint option- do I have to sand it before I paint?  Or would painting be easier?  And yes DH would be doing it! I just want to be able to tell him what I want! 

Thanks for your input 

BFP 6/20/10 1st M/C- 7/3/10~ 6 w 1 d
    BFP 9/13/10- Chemical Pregnancy discovered 9/16/10
    BFP 2/23/11 EDD 2nd M/C 3/20/10~ 7 w 6 d
    BFP 9/17/11- Twins! Alice Nichole 5/15/12 Colette Parker 5/15/12
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

You wouldn't need to sand anything to add a coat of oil based paint.  When I did my coffee table the legs were already painted and I was just changing the color from a hunter green to black.  Oil based paint will give off a higher gloss (just so you're aware).  That said, you get to pick the color like you would a regular can of paint.

I'd talk to the experts at Sherwin-Williams and make sure what I'm recommending will work for sure (I'm pretty sure it will work).  They'll also have tips on ways to prep the surface.  For example, I used this product called TSP to clean my coffee table prior to painting.   

• Options
    I'm thinking painting would be easier than trying to sand and re-stain...I actually painted a piece of furniture with an acrylic paint recently and it came out great.  The fumes were terrible though as they also are with oil based paints so definitely get DH or someone else to do it for you if you decide to go that route!  I think a color to coordinate with the rest of the room would be very cute vs. trying to get a stain to match!  I have also spray painted furniture and that usually works fine too.  With either one you just have to watch out for running, as long as you don't apply too much paint at once it shouldn't run though.  If you spray paint you don't even really need to sand or anything.  GL!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"