TTC After a Loss

Anyone else with allergies?

Typically, I take Zyrtec daily year-round to control allergies (to dust, pollens, etc.). It's rated a B on safefetus.com, which means there are no known risks in studies done on animals, but that no conclusive studies have been done on pregnant women. I'm sure I'm not alone in feeling overly-cautious this time around, so once we started TTC again, I started weaning myself off using it daily and now try to just use it when my allergies get really bad, like when I clean the house (stirring up dust) or if I go over to a friend's house with a cat.

I must have blown my nose a million times this morning, just sitting at my desk at work. It's soooo annoying, but I really don't want to need to take any meds! I know I haven't O'd yet, so technically I could and it wouldn't do anything, but I just don't want to need them!

I also have asthma, and my inhaler is rated a B also. Unfortunately, I don't really have a choice as to whether to use that when I have an asthma attack, but thankfully I don't get those very often anymore.

I don't know what the point is to this post, except to complain, and hope that others can commiserate. Pity party for one?

BFP #1 10/6/11 | EDD 6/15/12 | MMC 11/7/11 @ 8w3d | D&C 11/14/11

BFP #2 8/22/12 | EDD 5/5/13 | DS1 born 5/9/13

BFP #3 4/25/15 | EDD 1/7/16 | MMC 7/2/15 @ 13w1d | D&E 7/8/15

BFP #4 12/9/15 | EDD 8/22/16 | DS2 born 5/18/16 at 26w2d

Just keep swimming.

Re: Anyone else with allergies?

• imagePetraStonegirl:

Everything not shown to have an adverse effect on pregnancies are rated class B. That's because no one would ever run a double blind study on a population of pregnant women. It's unethical.

Take your Zyrtec and for God's sake, if you need your inhaler, USE IT.

If you end up in the ER, they are just going to give it to you anyhow. 

Oh yeah - I use my inhaler when needed, and I've never had an attack so bad I ended up in the ER. The Zyrtec issue is just more of an annoyance than anything. I know I'm probably being overly cautious, but I just can't help it. I'd rather deal with the nose blowing... I just wanted to complain about it. Huh?

BFP #1 10/6/11 | EDD 6/15/12 | MMC 11/7/11 @ 8w3d | D&C 11/14/11

BFP #2 8/22/12 | EDD 5/5/13 | DS1 born 5/9/13

BFP #3 4/25/15 | EDD 1/7/16 | MMC 7/2/15 @ 13w1d | D&E 7/8/15

BFP #4 12/9/15 | EDD 8/22/16 | DS2 born 5/18/16 at 26w2d

Just keep swimming.
  • I have pretty bad allergies.  I get allergy shots each month for cat and dust.  I have been getting the shots for years because my allergies were starting to cause asthma and breathing difficulties.  I rarely have to take OTC allergy meds anymore and hardly ever use my Rx nasal spray.  I have checked with my allergy doc and allergy shots are perfectly safe during pg (it's just an exposure to the allergen).  I took them all through pg #1 and had a perfectly healthy DS.  You may want to look into allergy shots, rather than OTC meds to deal with your allergies.

Before getting the shots, I didn't think they worked, but I am a believer now.  I used to get shots for Dog, Ragweed, Cat and Dust.  I took shots for 3 years and was cured of my dog and ragweed allergies.  I was super allergic to cats pre-shots, like wheezing, sneezing, watery eyes and hives if licked by them.  Now I have a cat and only have a tough time if I get cat hair in my eyes or up my nose.  I go for retesting in May to see if I can get off the shots for dust and cat.

Just something you might want to look into if your symptoms are so bad you are taking OTC stuff daily.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I have allergies as well and try to avoid taking any meds if I can.  My preference is Allegra and AllegraD, which are rated C (and my doc say defn no Allegra-D), so I don't use them unless I have to.  It can also dry up CM which may make it harder to ttc, so I just don't risk it.  You're defn not alone!

PGAL/PAL welcome
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Trying to start our family since 2010
    BFP #1 11.4.10, EDD 7.12.11, HB 12/9/10, MMC 12/27/10; 11w6d
    BFP #2 9.12.12, EDD 5.24.13, Baby Boy Born 5.15.13!!
    My Ovulation Chart
    3 Clomid (100mg) cycles + TI + Trigger = BFN's, Femara + Trigger + IUI#1 = BFN
    Femara + Trigger + IUI#2 = BFP!
    "Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." ~Gandhi
  • I've been taking Zyrtec for 2 years. It's the only medicine that helps me. When I was pregnant, the Dr. told me it was fine to take.
  • I have terrible allergies and asthma. I was taking Allegra and have taken plain claritin for the past year or so. I also take plain sudefed as a decongestant as needed. Both of these were suggested by my allergist. They were also on the safe list from the OB. Definitely take the meds if you need to. It is much better than feeling miserable.
    Wedding 08/08/08

BFP #1 12/29/10 EDD 08/29/11 Blighted Ovum 02/09/11 D&C 02/11/11

Clomid 50mg BFP #2 09/21/11 EDD 05/29/11 Chemical Pregnancy 10/4/11

BFP #3 4/19/13 Beta1- 106 Beta2- 524 Beta3- 3500 EDD 12/22/13 LO born 12/31/13

• I was worried about this when PG, but I was told to keep taking them.  It's better to take than not to. 

Also, this was a thread on PgAL and all the posters I saw responded that they took it their entire pregnancy and were fine.

BFP #1: 8/2011 ** EDD:  5/9/2012 **  Missed m/c discovered at 13 weeks

BFP #2: 4/4/2012 ** EDD:  12/24/12 ** Born: Charlotte "Charlie" Olivia   12/18/2013, 8 lbs 1 oz, 21 inches!!!  

• I also have awful allergies and asthma and my allergist said that the inhalers were fine, I was on Allegra but I stopped it to get my body free of it.   If i do get my bfp i will more than likely try to suffer through it w/out any meds because I am so paranoid/convinced that before I found out I was pg prior to the loss I had so many drugs in my body for allergies it caused me to MC (stupid i know).  I am also doing acupuncture and chinese herbs and they have seemed to help me a lot with my breathing and allergies. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have both allergies & asthma, i've had both for 25 years.  I take Zyrtec daily, Advair daily & ventolin only as needed.  At my first OB appointment, that was one of my major concerns.  He told me to keep taking both because it was important for me to be able to breathe!  If we get a BFP this cycle, I may look into the allergy shots PPs talked about since they have always wanted me to get them any how.  I hate getting shots more than anything.  Good luck & breathe easy Smile

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    BFP#1 10/21/11 EDD 06/22/12 natural m/c 11/03/11 6w6d

BFP#2 03/08/12 EDD 11/19/12 met our sweet boy @ 36w5d! 10/25/12!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"