Trying to Get Pregnant

Folic Acid v. Folate

I had my annual GYN check-up today and talked to her about TTC. She asked if I was taking prenatals with folic acid and I said yes. When I got home, I realized that they had folate instead.

I've googled my concerns and it seems that they are a different form of the same vitamin and one is more synthetic while the other is a bit more natural and found in foods.

Have any of you come across this or heard opinions on which may be better while TTC? I would have asked the Dr., but by the time I noticed, the office was closed. Thanks, everyone!

imageimage imageimage
Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Folic Acid v. Folate

• Someone correct me if I am wrong....But I was under the impression folic acid and folate are the same. In chemistry they use the -ate ending to denote an acid so folate would be folic acid. Like I said I am going off of what I learned in all the chemistry classes I had.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagelarhun3:
    Someone correct me if I am wrong....But I was under the impression folic acid and folate are the same. In chemistry they use the -ate ending to denote an acid so folate would be folic acid. Like I said I am going off of what I learned in all the chemistry classes I had.

You might be right. Some of the info I read when I googled suggested otherwise...but that's google sometimes. Thanks for responding. :)

imageimage imageimage
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I was pretty sure they were the same thing. If anyone knows otherwise, please say something! My PNV just has folate listed in the ingredients, but in parentheses it has "folic acid" next to the folate, so I assumed they were the same. I haven't mentioned TTC to my doctor yet, but I'm going to at my appointment on Thursday.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"