Babies on the Brain

IUD Pregnancy???

I'm not quiet sure where to post this question, it's been awhile since I've been on thebump. (DS is almost 9 months old, therefore, it's been about 9 months). I have an IUD (Mirena) and I've been getting alot of pregnancy-like symptoms (Nausea, tender breasts, frequent urination, etc), but I've been having some cramping and some red/pinkish/brownish spotting. I haven't had a period since before DS was concieved, and I bled from the Mirena for about 9 weeks. I've taken a pregnancy test, which was negative. I guess my actual question is, Has anyone gotten pregnant on Mirena? If so, how were you able to tell? (Same symptoms as a "normal" pregnancy?). Am I just testing too early? I never had any noticable symptom with DS or DD....Any advice would be wonderful!!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: IUD Pregnancy???

• I've never heard of such a thing.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Someone else asked this same thing last week on another board. I think that you should be able to get a positive test if you in fact are pregnant. If it would make you feel better you can always get a blood test. Hope that helps!
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • It can happen, but it's supposed to be pretty rare. Can you feel your strings? I have Paragard (and my doctor never mentioned this) but apparently it can be expelled by your body or it can shift, making it not/less effective. It might be worth a trip in to see your doc to know for sure.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • If you are pregnant enough for symptoms, you are pregnant enough to get an accurate test result.  My month board just had a discussion about IUD pregnancies and I was a little horrified to see the number of people who knew someone whose IUD failed, so yes, it can happen.  If you are worried about the positioning, call your OB and get it checked.

imageimage
    2 years, 2 surgeries, 2 clomid fails, 2 IUIs, 1 loss, IVF #1 - 10/25/10 = BFP!, DS is now 3.5yrs!
    TTC #2 - 6/12 surgery #3, FET #1 & 1.2 = BFN, 12/2012 FET #2 = BFP! DD is 1.5 yrs!
    Surprise! 12/16/14 BFP, loss #2 12/31/14

I can't wait for the "im getting a divorce" post in 5 years or so because your husbands were fed up with your disgusting chair asses from playing on the knot all day and getting fired 4-5 times for not doing any work. you guys are all winners!! ~ Laur929

• imageL&R70707:
    If you are pregnant enough for symptoms, you are pregnant enough to get an accurate test result.  My month board just had a discussion about IUD pregnancies and I was a little horrified to see the number of people who knew someone whose IUD failed, so yes, it can happen.  If you are worried about the positioning, call your OB and get it checked.

This^

~Those who do not believe in love at first sight have obviously never given birth~ <a href="http://s1082.photobucket.com/albums/j380/Caitlyn_Blake/?action=view
  • You are probably not pregnant. But definitely POAS to make sure. And call your OB if you are worried about your IUD not being in the right place. The $15 copay (or whatever yours might be) for reassurance is totally worth it IMO.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Mmmm...cake! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • While I do vaguely remember a rash of IUDBFP running around in these parts about a year or so ago, previous posters are correct, it's rare.  FWIW "pregnancy symptoms" can also be "pms symptoms" and even though you have the IUD doesn't mean you won't get the symptoms of an oncoming period. 

Also, if you're pg enough for symptoms, you're pg enough for a positive test.

• I worked in labor and delivery, and in the 4 years I've been there, I've seen it twice.  Both times we were waiting to see if the baby would come out with the IUD in their hand! :)  (it didn't, btw!)
    1/2012 Dx PCOS - 3/2012 Dx Hyperthyroidism Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Yeah, I had an iud ... until last Thursday when my ob took it out because I'm pregnant. 

I had a Nova T (copper) and while my ob said it's pretty rare, it does happen. He did say that in his 11 years of practice he has never had anyone get pregnant with a Mirena, just the copper one. Gl! 

• Yes, it happens. Even with Mirena. 

My close friend is an OB. I had a long talk with her about IUDs one night. She assured me they were wonderful, very effective, etc. The next day she calls laughing because that morning she had two IUD pregnancies. One where the girl was 18 weeks!  She found it ironic that after spending an evening professing her love for them she had a bunch of issues the next day. Murphy's law I guess.

I still went ahead and got a Mirena. So far so good! 

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

• FWIW, I've had Mirena for over a year and a half and several times I have experienced pregnancy-like symptoms (sore boobs, nausea, tired) but a hpt always turned up negative (and I only get light spotting every couple of months, no real periods though). I have several friends on Mirena and they occasionally complain of the same thing. Keep in mind Mirena contains a low dose of hormones, which may contribute to these so-called "symptoms." It's most likely PMS especially since you took a test and it was negative. Check your strings to be sure you can still feel them. Pregnancy can occur while on Mirena, but it's rare and occurs if it wasn't placed correctly or was displaced.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had the copper one, and about every other month, I swore up and down I was pg. I got it out because of this....

I hate to say it, but they really don't know how they work (ie do they actually prevent implantation).....that was enough for me to get it out. 

BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"