Working Moms

Daycare $/food question

I was sending DS's lunch daily to d/c since that was the only meal he ate there, and was paying $180 weekly...well, I kept hearing that he was scavenging whatever they cooked anyway, so a few weeks ago we made the switch to him eating there. Finally last week I asked if they want some more money to cover lunch (I figured a little more was fair) and they are now charging $200/week.

Overall I know this is still reasonable, but $20 extra just for one meal a day seems a little excessive...I already spend about $10 a week bringing 2 'required' snacks for all to share plus DS's milk (they only give 2% and I want DS to have WCM until he's 2), AND I still prepare a side of veggies (per their request) for his lunch daily.

Should I just suck it up or say something? I was thinking of not bringing all the extra food starting next week or asking them to go back to the old price and I continue bringing his lunches. I kind of feel like this is their way of giving themselves a raise.

He's growing up, but he'll always be my baby!

Nathan--11/4/10

...big brother to...???? Due March 2014!

Re: Daycare $/food question

• That does seem like a lot of money for one meal and you are still having to send the vegetables.  What exactly do they provide?

If it were me, I would go back to sending your own lunch and maybe sending some of what they offer since your son likes it so much.

• I think $4/day for lunch is reasonable.
  • Loading the player...
  • Our school charges $3/day for lunches for toddlers. For 18m-33m it was included in our weekly $170.
  • imagetosababy:
    I think $4/day for lunch is reasonable.

Really? I think that's pretty expensive. School lunch here is something like $2.35. We recently toured a daycare center that had a lunch catering service come in with all organic food, and those lunches were $3.20. I think $4/day is expensive considering you're still sending extra sides for lunch. Why don't they provide WCM for kids under 2? I've never been to a center that didn't. I would go back to sending his lunch. Since you're already sending a veggie, that's just adding a fruit and a sandwich, right? It doesn't sound like him having lunch there is any more convenient.

Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • $4 wouldn't be bad if they included the veggies and snacks, but without those things I think it's a bit much
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Teterboro 5K 7/16/11 23:22 Tenafly 5K 6/5/11 26:48 1st in age group and stroller division Teterboro 5K 7/17/10 24:42 Lincoln Tunnel 5K 4/25/10 28:18 4 1/2 weeks pp Teterboro Airport 5K 7/18/09 22:35 3rd place age group 4 1/2 weeks pregnant Long Branch 1/2 5/3/09 1:51:07 Lincoln Tunnel 5K 4/26/09 22:22 NJEA 5K 11/7/08 22:30 2nd place age group Westchester 1/2 10/12/08 1:50:16 Teterboro Airport 5K 7/19/08 23:43 Long Branch 1/2 5/4/08 1:54:18 Giant Stadium 5K 4/26/08 error in timing Hackensack 5K 10/14/07 23:55 1st place in age group
  • I don't get a discount for the meals I provide (my son has an egg allergy so I need to send in substitute foods)... He eats maybe one of their breakfasts a week and typically 2 or 3 lunches but does get the sides and snacks.... I never questioned being able to get a discount though.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lost our first angel, 10/24/08 7w6d
    Proud mama to Cameron
    Lost our second angel, 2/16/11 8w
    Proud mama to Melanie
  • I think this is reasonable. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagetosababy:
    I think $4/day for lunch is reasonable.

Me too.  You have to consider the prep work too. 

• One more thing...

I teach Pre-K and our school lunch is 3.85 for Pre-K through 5th grade.  This is all you can eat and drink.  It includes fruits, veggies, salad bar, main entree, pasta, and sandwiches.

This is why $4 a day, not including drink and veggies, seems high to me.  

• if they are already preparing meals for other children and he is just eating the same food, I do think $4 per head is high . 

But how much are you spending on his food?  If you are spending $10 a week and then also consider the time you spend preparing it, then spending $10 more may be worth it.

Either I would just tell them that you will prepare his lunch, or spend the extra  money.  I would not comment on whether or not I think they are charging too much.  they set the price and it's up to you to decide if you think it's worth it.

• Our DC charges around $3/day for lunch, and this is in a HCOL area. Toddlers don't eat that much. Since they are now providing his lunch, I'd ask them to also provide a vegetable. I don't see why they can't do that. If they insist you bring the veggies, I'd ask them to drop the rate down to $190. BTW public school lunches are subsidized by the government, so you can't really compare their cost with a private school or daycare.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • It sounds like you're still stuck with a HELLUVALOT of work for the $4/ meal and they don't feed Veggies...Huhm...Go back to making his lunches...

It's a PITA but if you do most of the work anyways and all they do is pop Chicken Nuggets in the oven I'd say it's worth it!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageWinesNotWhines:
    BTW public school lunches are subsidized by the government, so you can't really compare their cost with a private school or daycare.

I should have clarified that I do teach at a private school so I can compare the price of my school lunches with what the OP is paying.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"