Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Solids ? Repost from Breastfeeding

Hey Mammas! I'm hoping to get some advice from you.

For those of you who EBF:

1. When will/did you start solids?

2. What did you start with?

3. Are you giving your LO any vitamin supplements?

Background: DS is 4mon and pedi said I could start rice cereal, but I don't think he's ready. Also, I don't see a point to rice cereal. I'd prefer to start him with yams or applesauce. She also gave me a scolding look for not giving him vit D supplements b/c I take him for walks in the sunshine almost every day. I just want what's best for  DS, and I'm following my gut more than the pedi's advice.

TIA!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Solids ? Repost from Breastfeeding

• Options
    imageLenaput:

Hey Mammas! I'm hoping to get some advice from you.

For those of you who EBF:

1. When will/did you start solids? 6 months

2. What did you start with? Avacado

3. Are you giving your LO any vitamin supplements? No. I'm taking a prenatal vitamin, and extra vitamin D

Background: DS is 4mon and pedi said I could start rice cereal, but I don't think he's ready. Also, I don't see a point to rice cereal. I'd prefer to start him with yams or applesauce. She also gave me a scolding look for not giving him vit D supplements b/c I take him for walks in the sunshine almost every day. I just want what's best for  DS, and I'm following my gut more than the pedi's advice.

TIA!

If you're really that concerned about his vitamin D levels, have them checked. Or check your own. If your lacking, he's lacking. 

• Options

We started food at 6 months, first food was baked sweet potato, and we have never given Vitamin D supplements.

We're doing Baby Led Weaning, and it's one of the best decisions we've made so far as parents. We are LOVING helping her learn about foods and textures with no mush! Our pedi said we could start cereal at 4 months if we wanted, but seemed relieved when I said I didn't want to. She always assures us that food before 1 is mostly about motor skill practice. They're still getting their nutrition from breastmilk!

photo image_zps90e45ea2.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

1) We started just before 6 months because DD stole food from my plate and proceeded to eat it.

2) Her first food was Zopf but then we ant to carrots and anything we had on our plate (within reason)

3) No, nothing here, we go on daily walks with the pup. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 8.25.16 AM
  • Options

1. They started solids about 6.5 months

2. Butternut squash

3. Probiotics and Vit D (I also take a prenatal and DHA) - We live in a colder climate which is why I give vit D. Sunshine is great if you're in a warmer climate. 

There is absolutely no point to rice cereal. I'm a nutritionist and would much rather give my twins real food as opposed to something that is processed with additives. I would also wait until the 6 month mark, especially since you're breastfeeding. There is no need to give babies food/rice cereal early because they're getting everything they need from BM.  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageCarlaAndJames:

We started food at 6 months, first food was baked sweet potato, and we have never given Vitamin D supplements.

We're doing Baby Led Weaning, and it's one of the best decisions we've made so far as parents. We are LOVING helping her learn about foods and textures with no mush! Our pedi said we could start cereal at 4 months if we wanted, but seemed relieved when I said I didn't want to. She always assures us that food before 1 is mostly about motor skill practice. They're still getting their nutrition from breastmilk!

A friend of my mine did it with her 3 kids, and after reading the website, this is really how I'd like to approach solids. I'm glad to hear someone else is doing it and loves it.

• Options

1. When will/did you start solids? I waited until after DD turned 6 months. My pediatrician gave us the OK at 4 months, but I told him I was going to follow the WHO guidelines for breastfed babies and would wait until 6 months. I'm not a huge fan of my pedi, but we're moving this year and I don't want to have to switch twice.

2. What did you start with? I tried rice cereal first at the recommendation of her pedi (family history of some food allergies) and she wouldn't eat it at all. I tried oatmeal next and she wouldn't eat that either. She's over 7 months old and she's just now starting to show interest in solids. She really likes squash and squash mixed with turkey. That's about it, but I keep trying to give her everything else.

3. Are you giving your LO any vitamin supplements? no. We live in FL and go on daily walks and I am not deficient in vitamin D. I told my pedi if he was concerned about her hemoglobin/hematocrit that he could do a simple finger prick and check it himself.

BabyFruit Ticker

DH: 34/Me: 35
    Married: Feb 2008
    DD: June 2011
    TTC# 2: April 2014
    BFP!! 8/29/16 --> EDD: 5/11/17....it's a GIRL!!! :)
  • Options
    imageLenaput:

1. When will/did you start solids? We started just shy of 5 months, when DS was clearly ready and needed more than just milk (he's a big boy and a bottomless pit! ;)

2. What did you start with? Rice cereal for a week, just because it's mild in taste and I mixed it with a lot of BM to start, then onto oatmeal, then barley, and have just started veggies, will be doing a new one every 3-4 days.

3. Are you giving your LO any vitamin supplements? I do not give DS iron, so that's why the cereal is important. They will use up their natural bodily stores by around 6 months, so they will need some form of iron. I give Vitamin D, this is a really important vitamin even for adults. We live in Canada so especially in the winter he is not getting any vitamin D from the sun.

• Options

We're still working on solids and LO is 8 months old. He just hasn't had any desire! We've tried multiple foods and he just gags and spits them out. Since 6 months we've tried avocado, sweet potato, carrots, squash, and banana. I think it's important to take cues from your LO and wait until he's ready.. but that's coming from someone who's DS may be EBF forever! GL!

oh and I take a prenatal but otherwise we don't do any supplements.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"