August 2012 Moms
Options

Bacteria In Urine

Hi Ladies,

After violent vomiting, abdominal cramping and severe constipation my Dr suggested I head to the ER... and after they ran tests the ER doc told me they found some bacteria in my urine.  She freaked me out and told me if they dont treat it I could miscarry! Treatment is an antibiotic Keflex... I was really hesitant to take it without talking to my OB and once I did she told me to hold off until I came in to see her.

Anyone else have/had bacteria in urine??

Re: Bacteria In Urine

• Options

Bacteria in urine is commonly referred to as a urinary tract infection. It's pretty common in, and out of pregnancy, in women. However it is frequently asymptomatic in pregnant women. The fact that you got that sick means it got pretty bad before you got treated. An untreated UTI can cause sepsis and death in the person who has it. This is frequently not the outcome as we live in a modern society with access to antibiotics.

The ER doc decided to scare you. While yes untreated UTI's can cause preterm labor and miscarriage, they are generally treated without complication and the patient does fine.

Are you aware of the ways to avoid getting UTIs? For women that includes wiping front to back so as to not introduce fecal bacteria near the vagina. Peeing before and after sex, even if you don't have to afterwards, just attempting to pee can move bacteria out of your urethra. Also increased water comsumption.

GL and hope you feel better.

TTC #3 since Feb 2014 DS 1: 2010 DS 2: 2012
  • Options
    I found out that I had a UTI the day after I found out I was pregnant.  I went to urgent care and they prescribed antibiotics that were baby safe.  The only thing they couldn't give me was the pain meds.  If left untreated it could potentially cause some complications but I've also read that they are pretty common in pregnant women.  I think in order for you to miscarry, it would have to be pretty bad and untreated for some time.  I was in a lot of pain when I had the UTI before I got meds and so far my pregnancy hasn't had a single complication.  That doctor probably could have worded that better. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I did.  I'm on antibiotics now.  Hasn't been bad.  Just made sure I wouldn't have an allergic reaction since I'm allergic to multiple antibiotics.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image image
  • Options

The general rule of thumb is to always treat a pregnant woman with bacteria in her urine, even if she has no symptoms.  Harm to the baby (low birth weight, preterm labor) is a possibility, but the real risk is pyelonephritis (a kidney infection that can quickly turn serious), which develops in about 30% of pregnant women with untreated bacteria in their urine.

If your OB wants you to wait to take the Keflex, I hope he or she is planning to see you asap!

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I had group b strep in my urine so they gave me antibiotics and said I needed antibiotics during labor :(
  • Options
    I tested positive for a UTI twice and then my OB did a catheter to get a pure sample and it came back negative today.  I wouldn't worry just yet.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"