June 2012 Moms

How much is too much for a crib?

So my brother-in-law's wife is expecting end of April.  At a recent family get together they shared with the family a picture of the crib they ordered.  They said that by the time they buy the crib, mattress, and conversion kit the crib will cost more than $1000.00!  The crib alone costs $650.00.  I think that's a little steep.  My DH said to them that we were looking at a crib around the $250 or less price range at Babies R Us and the wife made a snotty totty face like well that's not good. 

Discuss:  How much is too much for a crib?

Baby #1: BFP on 10/12/2011, EDD 6/24/2012 Born: 6/16/2012 Boy!

Baby #2: BFP on 11/11/2016, EDD 7/25/2017 - MC 1/2/2017

Re: How much is too much for a crib?

• Our crib was $250. I think that I probably would have gone as high as $300, but I also took into account how much the changing table and/or dresser were. At BRU, almost all of the dressers we saw were twice as much as the crib! That was way too steep for me..

For the crib, dresser, changing table with nice storage (can be used when baby is older) and mattress we were in about $950. And that's for a whole room! 

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I paid $130 for our crib not including the mattress. Over $1000 is way too much IMO, but I am cheap!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I JUST bought our crib.

It, along with a changing table & a dresser (which I was not planning on getting EITHER), were $250. Since I was planning on spending $300 on JUST the crib that I REALLY wanted, I thought this was a better deal for the lot.

But, yeah, I would NEVER spend that much money on a crib. I can't even fathom spending 1,000$ on a sectional, let alone on a crib! (but maybe that's just me...)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Elonah [3], Bentley [1]

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I wouldn't spend more than $300 on a crib. I probably wouldn't even spend that much, but $300 I can wrap my head around.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I really don't want to spend over $300 for the crib and mattress.  That's way too much IMO for a crib - I can think of a lot of other things for the baby I'd rather spend that money on!
  • I wouldn't spend more than about 300$ on crib + mattress. 1000$ sounds insane to me- all cribs meet the same safety standards, so to me paying that much is just a waste of money. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • You are all making me soooooo jealous!!!!  The "going rate" for a crib in canada seems to be $200 - $900 (without conversion kits, and mattresses, etc)....... with dressers in the range  $300 - $1800... It's the conversion kits that seem to be the worst as they hover around the $200 mark

I wish things were as cheap as they are down there, not to mention the selection!

• No amount is too much. It is a personal choice, and if a couple wants to buy a $200, $1,000 or $10,000 crib - I figure that money they earned and they can spend however they like. 

Our crib is $399 , plus the mattress .. were going to be spending about $650.  

• imagestylistgypsy:

No amount is too much. It is a personal choice, and if a couple wants to buy a $200, $1,000 or $10,000 crib - I figure that money they earned and they can spend however they like. 

Our crib is $399 , plus the mattress .. were going to be spending about $650.  

I agree. However, with our budget we needed to be more economical. We just bought a 4-in-1 crib, dresser/changing table, and infant/toddler mattress for $1000. The set was real wood, and we figured this amount was okay for us to spend since this is going to get our LO all the way to her first apartment.

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • We spent a little more than we had planned on the crib (but got a generous gift from my parents to put towards the furniture, which helped).  The crib we got was $750, but it's made in the USA, and it was the only crib both DH and I really liked.  However, we did not spend the extra money on the toddler rail or conversion kit, but we do plan on using the crib as a headboard when he's older (and just attach it to a metal frame).  Again, I totally don't feel bad about spening a little more than we had planned since it helps the American economy.  Also, it has Greenguard certification (not really sure how much weight it holds, but after the Good Morning America segment I feel good about having that), and we got a high quality foam mattress for free with it. 
    Visit The Nest!
  • My take on the crib thing is that the safety standards change every 5 seconds and I'd rather not invest a ton on something that's going to be "unsafe" in 2 years, but I'm in the minority among my friends who have all bought very pricey sets for their nurseries. But, I also am frugal and think you can get a good quality crib without spending your life savings - we bought a crib at JCP identical to a Pottery Barn Kids crib for $500 less - and when I compared them, they were made of the exact same materials. And really, no crib's going to become a family heirloom because your grandchildren will be sleeping in very different cribs - for safety standards, aesthetics, etc.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Our crib was $380, my in-laws bought it for us.. the one I was looking at getting was $250, but his dad sent me 3 cribs they wanted to get us based off of what I had previously showed them and they were all right around the $400 mark. We still need to order the conversion kit though.
  • We spent about $650 for our crib. But then again, it was a special order shipped to Hawaii. I don't regret the decision on spending that much on our crib because its a quality piece of furniture and has held up really well. We used it for our first, our second is in it now and our 3rd will be using it too. Plus it's been put together and taken apart at least 5 times and moved with us twice! 

Baby cribs can cost as much as you want it to cost. You can go cheaper and get one off of craigslist or you can be like a celebrity and pay thousands on one. The cost has no bearing on whether or not you're getting a good/better crib. 

Photobucket Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Pregnancy%20ticker
  • I think you can spend however much you want on a crib. If you have the money, buy a fancy expensive one. If not, buy one from Target/BRU. Reall...what's the difference?

I really like the Skylar crib from Pottery Barn Kids but it was $700. I found it on Craigslist for sale in "like new" condition. Paid $650 for the crib, converstion and mattress. Very happy with the purchase because if I would have paid for it online it would have been over $1000.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker small
  • imagehdaley:

So my brother-in-law's wife is expecting end of April.  At a recent family get together they shared with the family a picture of the crib they ordered.  They said that by the time they buy the crib, mattress, and conversion kit the crib will cost more than $1000.00!  The crib alone costs $650.00.  I think that's a little steep.  My DH said to them that we were looking at a crib around the $250 or less price range at Babies R Us and the wife made a snotty totty face like well that's not good. 

How much is too much for a house?  Or for a car?

Judging other people's spending habits doesn't really make sense.  If they can afford it and aren't asking to borrow the money, then who cares? 

• We paid about $600 for DSs crib and mattress (at BRU), and that was too much. It was a convertible, so we considered it an 'investment', but it didn't even hold up well enough. We spent probably under $200 for DDs crib and mattress (at Ikea) and it's held up much more nicely. 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Our Nursery Set for DD was $1200 plus a $75 matress.  That includes The crib (toddler and full size converison kits), dresser and changing table.
  • imagestarb4long:
    imagehdaley:

Judging other people's spending habits doesn't really make sense.  If they can afford it and aren't asking to borrow the money, then who cares? 

Totally agree.  As long as they don't ask me for money to help pay for it, then it really doesn't concern me.  I'm sure some friends and family don't agree with the way that DH and I spend our money, but we have never asked anyone for money and our bills are paid.  So really, what they think doesn't matter.  

FWIW, I would spend $1000 on a crib if it was the crib that I wanted, but I'm also perfectly happy only spending $200-300 or whatever.  I love a good deal!

• imagestarb4long:
    imagehdaley:

Then perhaps she shouldn't be stuck up and opinionated about us spending less than 300 dollars on our crib...

Baby #1: BFP on 10/12/2011, EDD 6/24/2012 Born: 6/16/2012 Boy!

Baby #2: BFP on 11/11/2016, EDD 7/25/2017 - MC 1/2/2017

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"