Parenting

Car Seat and traveling

We are going to Arizona at the end of March.  My little guy is 3 right now and will turn 4 on the trip.  We need to take him a car seat and I would like to take him a booster seat, however currently he is 38 pounds and won't turn 4 till the 29th.  Our trip is from March 23rd to 30.  Suggestions or just take the big 5 point harness carseat?  He will not need to use the carseat on the airplane.

Re: Car Seat and traveling

• I would take the harnessed seat, but I also wouldn't feel comfortable putting my just turned 4yo in a booster.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • I would so not take both seats.  Do you feel that your child is ready for a booster seat?  Not talking by height/weight but by actions - can he sit still and not be all over the place?  If the answer is no, just take the 5 point harness.  Just because he is turning 4 does not mean that you have to switch him to the booster.  If you do feel that he is really ready for a booster seat, I would just take that with you.  The police are not going to stop you because of the seat your son is sitting in and they are not going to know when his birthday is and you are talking about a few days not months or years.  Again, you need to know your child and just because they say 4 years/40pounds, many 4 years olds are just not ready for a booster seat.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Loading the player...
  • Honestly, my DD is 4 and is in a 5 point harness. Mt oldest is 6 and is in a high back booster. We are going to hawaii in a few weeks and I am bringing backless boosters for each of them. So you just need to decide if the extra safety is worth the hassle (for us, it isn't).
  • He's not quite 40 lbs and not quite 4, and as a car seat tech, I can't in good faith recommend a booster for a child who isnt BOTH 4 and 40. Plus, a booster will be brand new for him and trying it out on a trip isnt ideal. 

I would absolutely take the harnessed seat. And bringing the seat on the plane is the safest option for him, not to mention the safest for the seat (even gate checking can wreak havoc on seats and can damage them beyond safe use).  

• I would just take the 5 point harness carseat. My 4 year old is still in hers. If you make the big switch, how sure are you that he'll actually sit properly in his new booster seat? My neighbor just made the big switch and the first week or so involved her turning around and basically scolding her daughter to sit up properly and not mess with the seatbelt.
    Photobucket Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Pregnancy%20ticker
  • I would use the carseat he is comfortable using, trying something new while you're somewhere new is a recipe for disaster.  carseats travel for free, you can either check it with your bags, or carry it on the plane and have LO sit in it on the plane (best option IMHO)

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"