June 2012 Moms

taking down wallpaper - help

I have DIF & a hole puncher type deal to get the wallpaper off the walls of the nursery so we can start painting, but I really have no experience with this. So, I was wondering if anyone else has ever done this.

& if so, what is your advice? Thanks!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Elonah [3], Bentley [1]

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: taking down wallpaper - help

• Score the wall first.  Then spray the stuff and let it sit for awhile.  Then it should peel off easily.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageamy5162:
    Score the wall first.  Then spray the stuff and let it sit for awhile.  Then it should peel off easily.

Thanks, I know that - but how closely would you say to make the score marks?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Elonah [3], Bentley [1]

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • The kind that we had was a circular shape and we just ran overlaping circles over the entire area.  The more score marks the better.  You want to be able to get the solution behind the wallpaper as much as possible.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We rented a wallpaper steamer for $50 from home depot after the dif took hours and it was a big mess. I still scored the walls so that way it went faster. But the steamer was worth the money and if my next house has all wallpaper like this one that is what we will do.
  • My DH and I used fabric softener to remove all of the wallpaper in our house. It was easy and fast. You just add cheap liquid fabric softener to a bucket of water, then use a sponge to wipe it on the wallpaper. It peels right off.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Use a wet sponge to soak the wallpaper and let it set and then peel off.  We had tons of wallpaper to peel once and this worked so much better than the spray stuff.  I can't remember if we used liquid fabric softener for sure, but it seems like we might have.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageamy5162:
    The kind that we had was a circular shape and we just ran overlaping circles over the entire area.  The more score marks the better.  You want to be able to get the solution behind the wallpaper as much as possible.

Do this and make sure the water you spray the wall with is hot.  Either buy a spray bottle or use a large sponge.  After you get all the wall paper off make sure to wash the walls with TSP (you can buy it at any hardware store) or your paint job will look like crap. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"