Preemies
Options

Poly-vi-sol question

When did you start your LO's on the vitamin poly-vi-sol? The NICU sent us home having them on it once a day, but i've noticed it adds to my girls gassiness. My mom and Grandma were both in shock that they're already on it being so young...i was wondering if you ladies waited a few months before you started your LO's on vitamins? My girls are only 5 weeks old.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Poly-vi-sol question

• Options
    We started while DS was in the NICU.  He gets vitamin A, C, and D, and Iron.  We were told that the reason why they started them so young is that they didn't get all of the vitamin stores that a term baby would have gotten since they missed out on so many weeks of receiving their nutrition from the placenta.

BPF May 12, 2013 :: EDD Janaury 22, 2013 :: MC Began On July 14, 2013 at 12W4D

Born at 34w2d:

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options
    We started in the NICU also, and we've continued since she's been home.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We also started in the NICU and continue still.

• Options
    we started in the NICU and are still giving it...
  • Options
    Yup....same as all the ladies above.  (Well, we've dropped the iron now that he is older, but he still gets poly-vi-sol (with flouride - we have a well).
  • Options

imagejenmikw:
    We started while DS was in the NICU.  He gets vitamin A, C, and D, and Iron.  We were told that the reason why they started them so young is that they didn't get all of the vitamin stores that a term baby would have gotten since they missed out on so many weeks of receiving their nutrition from the placenta.

Yep this.  My boys had  CBC at their 6 month check up and their hemaglobin was better than most full term babies!  My pedi wants them to continue on it until at least 9 months old.

• Options
    we were on it in the NICU also and stopped when she went to straight formula no BM.
    image image imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    We also started in the NICU and stopped after about 2 months, once her blood work showed she was no longer anemic. 
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• Options
    Same as all the PP, started in the NICU and still going

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

• Options
    We started when DS was in NICU and he is still taking it. He is on poly-vi-sol with iron.
    Jenn Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    We started in the NICU also, he started on the polyvisol with iron but then his stool was black so I stopped the vitamin altogether and his stool was back to normal. I mentioned this to his pedi and he suggested I cut the iron, so he has been on the regular polyvisol since about 5 mths until now - he is almost 21 mths. At his 18 mth checkup I asked the pedi if I should switch to something else he said no it is a vitamin for infants and toddlers (it actually says so on the packaging).
  • Options
    Started in the NICU, and need to continue as the Caffeine he is on affects his iron count. He has been home for 4 days and on an apena monitor. We will be on it until told otherwise.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"