December 2010 Moms
Options

HTT? Daycare driving your LO's around (Clicky Poll)

I didn't think this would be a hot topic, but I guess it might be?

Daycare is taking DS on some errands today - to my school for an orchestra assembly (yay! I get to see my little guy at work! Her kids go to my school) and to do some errands since she's going to be out anyways. It doesn't really bother me - in fact, I bought her a car seat for her car for days like this. She doesn't take DS out often - maybe 1-2 times a month?

I was dropping DS off at daycare this morning and ran into another mom and she looked really upset. We said hi, she mentioned how she hates days like today...I asked why and she said b/c our DCP is taking them out in the car. She went on to say that this is why she picked this day care, b/c she usually doesn't drive around and she doesn't think it's right to drive around other people's kids.

Your thoughts?

[Poll]

My little man at 0-1-2
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin me baby!
BabyFruit Ticker http://mamasaywhat.com/

Re: HTT? Daycare driving your LO's around (Clicky Poll)

• Options

I think it's good for the kids to get out and about sometimes! I picked "all of the time" because my DCP (in-home daycare) puts Elliott in the car 3x per day. She takes the school kids to the bus stop, and takes the 4-5 year olds to pre-school down the street (and picks them up).

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My mom used to do home daycare and she had to do preschool drop-off/pick-up and would come to activities at school so she'd bring the little kids with her. But that was also back in the day when kids didn't have to be RFing or in a carseat until they were 8. ;)  I can see why the mother is nervous - honestly, sometimes I get nervous when DH takes DS out without me - but I wouldn't expect a home DCP to stay home all the time and like KelCaryn said, I think it's good to take the kids out sometimes!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I think it's ok once in awhile.  At first, it made me uneasy just at the thought of my DCP taking C anywhere (to the park, to the pool, etc.), so I totally understand the uneasiness.  But honestly?  We trust these DCP with our children's lives every day we take them to daycare.  So I feel like you should also trust them to drive in the car with them occasionally.  But my DCP is an in-home one, not a center.  I could see myself feeling differently with a center.

My DCP occasionally takes the kids on field trips to museums, which is about the only time she drives them anywhere.

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    This is yet another reason why I'm happy I went with a center.  If they want to take LO anywhere there are always a lot of hoops to jump through so they usually don't go anywhere that's not in walking distance.  I think that I could deal with a once a month field trip with the DC but I don't think I'd be comfortable more than that.
    image  image
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Options
    Wow, this post just made me realize that no one has ever driven my child other than DH or I!  If I used an in-home, I would be okay with occasional because I'd expect there might be some times when the DCP might need to go somewhere (the assembly for example).  But, I'm still glad I'm at a center and don't really have to worry about it though.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagemands629:
    I say SS.  I don't think I would feel comfortable if my in-home DC provider took my kids anywhere.  (And by in-home DC provider I mean someone who runs a DC out of their house and there are other kids there besides my own.)  However, if I had a nanny that was specifically for my kids and my kids only and came over to my house, I would want her to take them out - just like what I did when I was a nanny.

ITA. If I had a nanny, I would LOVE for them to take the kids to the zoo, children's museum, story hours. The stuff I miss out on doing more often b/c I work. Our current DCP doesn't take them anywhere, but I wouldn't mind if she did! She has too many to take in her car anyway!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

I had to SS because J only goes to "day care" 2 afternoons per week when my H has class and that's with my mom.  She takes him quite a few places and sometimes picks him up from our house.  Before she had him the first time I went through how to work the carseat properly with her since they are so different than when we were kids.

I think I'd be more worried about a DCP taking them to a public place while trying to watch a bunch of kids at the same time than the car ride there.  I can't imagine taking 4 toddlers to the zoo by myself!

image   image

• Options

imageEVM1216:
    This is yet another reason why I'm happy I went with a center.  If they want to take LO anywhere there are always a lot of hoops to jump through so they usually don't go anywhere that's not in walking distance.  I think that I could deal with a once a month field trip with the DC but I don't think I'd be comfortable more than that.

This exactly. 

DD1: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 36 weeks

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

DD2: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 37 weeks
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I put all the time because our babysitter/nanny drives DD often.
  • Options

I don't like the idea at all. When we interviewed our potential DCP (a SAHM), I asked about her kids' schools. The eldest goes to a school across the street from their house, so even if the girl had to come home from school, the mom would walk with L to pick her up. The other one goes to a Head Start program and gets picked up on a school bus. It would only be if there was an emergency that she would have to leave, and I don't think I'm comfortable with ANYONE driving him in case of emergency, when emotions are high and driving becomes unsafe. But DH works close enough that he'd be able to get there by the time she would have him ready to go anyway.

ETA: Our potential DCP has a nice yard for L to play in, so doesn't need to take him anywhere for "fun." And since we're paying her, it's like a job. I don't get to leave from my work to go shopping, run errands, etc, so she doesn't really need to, either.

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options

Maybe it's because of my day care situation, but I have a regular baby sitter come to our house.  And I really like her and fully trust her.  I actually want her to take Kamikaze out to places once he gets a little bit older.  I'd love for him to go to the zoo or to the children's science museum, etc.  She even wants to take him this summer to the amusement part.  If I or H can't get Kamikaze out to experience these things, I want someone who can. Obviously she'll be driving my car since it has his car seat in it and I'm not about transferring that back and forth.

I  would probably feel differently if there were 3 or 4 other kids she'd have to be watching.  I like the 1:1 model which is why we went the route we did.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    One of our requirements for a daycare was that they don't take our DS anywhere off their property, ever. DH and I just don't feel comfortable with it. We found quite a few who never transported the children, including the one where DS attends. They are 2 women caring for 6 children, with a large backyard. There's no need for field trips or trips to the grocery store or park.
    Mom to J (10), L (4), and baby #3 arriving in July of 2015
  • Options

I don't know how to vote on this one. I am a SAHM and so far no one has driven the kids except me or DH. Which is how I like it.

However, I am possibly going to be a juror on a 7 week long case. If that happens MIL will be watching the kids and doing the 2 day a week pre-K run. I am NOT happy about it, but DH doesn't want to take them out for the 7 weeks so that is what would happen.

I am going to be a nervous wreck...so in any other situation I would have to so No, it would not be OK with me for DCP to drive my kids around.

photo 203b9128-895f-464c-a378-ff73eaf8c1ce_zps4de57ab1.jpg
    Xander, Hayden & Lily 5 1/2 and Jericho 3 My Blog!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"