Natural Birth

Induction on Thursday . . . Can I still go natural?

Hello ladies,

I've lurked on this board for a while. I'm scheduled to be induced on Thursday because my OB is not comfortable with me going over 41 weeks. I have dreamt of and planned for a natural birth since I found out I was pregnant and have done lots of reading and research into the process.

I'm terrified about being induced because I've read and heard time and time again that receiving one intervention/induction method can create a domino effect that leads to a c-section, which I REALLY don't want. I guess I'm wondering if any of you ladies have been induced and still been able to have a natural, non-epi birth. I'm looking for some encouragement because everyone around me seems to assume that since I'll be induced, a natural birth is off the table. =(

Together - 11/9/08
     Married - 7/10/10
     Nt/Np - 1/14/11
    BFP! - 5/20/11 EDD - 1/25/12
    It's a girl! - 9/7/11
    A family of 3 - 2/2/12
    Nt/Np - 4/15/12
     BFP! - 5/16/13  EDD - 1/22/14
     Discovered baby's not growing w/ no heartbeat - 6/7/13      
    Natural M/C @ 6.5w - 6/15/13
    Nt/Np - 6/25/13
    BFP! - 10/25/13  EDD - 7/1/14
    Missed M/C (natural) - 11/5/13 @ 6w
    Nt/Np - 11/17/13
     BFP! - 5/29/14  EDD - 2/7/15
     It's a girl! - 9/19/14
    A family of 4 - 2/13/15
    Nt/Np - 4/9/15
    BFP! - 4/1/16  EDD - 12/05/16
It's a boy! - 7/19/16
A family of 5 - 12/10/16
DH vasectomy - 3/30/17

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers  

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: Induction on Thursday . . . Can I still go natural?

• Yes you can!  Just know that your contractions will be harder, longer, and less time inbetween.  If I could do it, you can too.  I'm not going to lie....it was hard not to cave in, and at one part (right before pushing) I actually asked for an epi, but was denied.  They do ask and push for an epi, mainly because of the intensity of the contractions, so if you really want to do natural make sure you ask for them not to ask you about pain control and let you be the one to ask for it if you choose to have pain meds.  I was stuck to the bed too which is hard to do, I wasn't able to get into the tub or walk or change positions.  Prepare yourself with alternative ways to cope with pain while stuck in a bed.  Don't give up before you even get there.  Do it if you feel like you can handle it....I've also had an epi birth after my second induction and enjoyed that experience too.  Listen to your body and do what you feel is right.  Good luck!  Don't give up just becuase of induction....don't let it intimidate you!  You can do this!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I guess by natural birth you mean vaginal with no pain meds which is not out of the question just b/c you are induced.  With pitocin it causes contractions that are painful just like contractions that occur naturally, but without the added hormone oxytocin (I think) that is a relaxant and causes drowsiness and feelings of emotional well being.  That seems to make the contractions harder to deal with.  I've had induced and natural (med free) and induction was definitely more painful, but it's painful either way and you'll get through it.  The main thing is to have a healthy, happy baby & mommy:)  Best wishes!
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes you can!  There are some good responses in the FAQ

https://naturalbirthfaq.wordpress.com/

• Long-time lurker here:

Yes, you absolutely can! But I'm warning you now it's difficult - I was stuck laying in bed because of the monitors and IV, couldn't even roll around to try to find a more comfortable position. For me at least, the contractions came suddenly, as in at 3:00 I was perfectly fine and at 3:08 I was in full-blown labor with contractions every minute and a half.

I'd definitely recommend having someone there for encouragement, or put on music, or something of that sort - you need to get into a "zone" and figure out a mental path and breathing pattern etc. that works for you. Go through all your reasons for wanting to go natural. Think about meeting your LO! Remember that your body is doing exactly what it needs to be doing to prepare for birth.

Don't give up if you're set on natural! The first few hours are hard, but then you get a rhythm. But also remember that if you do end up getting an epidural, it isn't the end of the world.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thank you all SO much! Your words of encouragement have really calmed me. I'll post an update after Thursday unless my LO comes before then. =)

Together - 11/9/08
         Married - 7/10/10
         Nt/Np - 1/14/11
        BFP! - 5/20/11 EDD - 1/25/12
        It's a girl! - 9/7/11
        A family of 3 - 2/2/12
        Nt/Np - 4/15/12
         BFP! - 5/16/13  EDD - 1/22/14
         Discovered baby's not growing w/ no heartbeat - 6/7/13      
        Natural M/C @ 6.5w - 6/15/13
        Nt/Np - 6/25/13
        BFP! - 10/25/13  EDD - 7/1/14