Cloth Diapering

Diaper cover question - conflicting opinions

So, it seems the general consensus on the board is that 3-4 covers is enough, but I have a friend who CDs and she said she has 15 covers and needs that many just to get through a day and have a few to spare, laundering basically everyday.  For reference's sake, she diapers primarily with prefolds, occasionally using an AIO or pocket, and has a 5 month old who is still EBF.  She's telling me that inevitably something, either pee or poop, gets from the prefold to the cover and she has to change the whole shabang 9 out of 10 times.

Is she just doing it wrong or am I misunderstanding something about covers? 

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Diaper cover question - conflicting opinions

• I have a 1 month old and primarily use prefolds + covers.  I've got 6 covers and 2 dozen prefolds.  I do laundry every other day.  The only time I put a cover in the to-wash pail is when it gets poop on it.  If it gets pee on it (which, with a prefold it will since the whole prefold gets wet) I just set it aside to dry and use another cover for the next diaper.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagesayruh:
    I have a 1 month old and primarily use prefolds + covers.  I've got 6 covers and 2 dozen prefolds.  I do laundry every other day.  The only time I put a cover in the to-wash pail is when it gets poop on it.  If it gets pee on it (which, with a prefold it will since the whole prefold gets wet) I just set it aside to dry and use another cover for the next diaper.

I was planning on using washable liners, at least for the first few weeks while I get the hang of folding and fitting to my baby, so hopefully that will stretch my cover use.. but if you leave the cover with pee on it doesn't it get the ammonia smell?

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagenerdbaby:

imagesayruh:
    I have a 1 month old and primarily use prefolds + covers.  I've got 6 covers and 2 dozen prefolds.  I do laundry every other day.  The only time I put a cover in the to-wash pail is when it gets poop on it.  If it gets pee on it (which, with a prefold it will since the whole prefold gets wet) I just set it aside to dry and use another cover for the next diaper.

I was planning on using washable liners, at least for the first few weeks while I get the hang of folding and fitting to my baby, so hopefully that will stretch my cover use.. but if you leave the cover with pee on it doesn't it get the ammonia smell?

I wipe it off after each use, and I've haven't had an issue with ammonia smell yet. 

• When you change the diaper, wipe out the cover and let air out. It shouldn't smell after a few hours. When it does smell, then it is time to through it in the wash. Poo covers go straight into the pail usually. If you snappi the PF you will need fewer covers, if you just lay the PF in you will need more.
    Baby boy H is here! Born 2/1/2014 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Mysterious_wife: "And for the love of all things that sparkle, remove your last name" on BOTB.
  • Ahhh... ok then.  See, all my stash stuff is still in whatever packaging it came in - not planning to open anything until baby's actually here and then we'll be test running each brand/type as we go.  So maybe had I actually inspected one of my covers I would have seen that you can wipe the covers out, I was assuming they were some sort of fuzzy cloth on the inside.

Still makes me wonder why my friend's not doing that... maybe she's paranoid? I dunno, I'll be all about the wipe out/use again method. 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imagenerdbaby:

Ahhh... ok then.  See, all my stash stuff is still in whatever packaging it came in - not planning to open anything until baby's actually here and then we'll be test running each brand/type as we go.  So maybe had I actually inspected one of my covers I would have seen that you can wipe the covers out, I was assuming they were some sort of fuzzy cloth on the inside.

Still makes me wonder why my friend's not doing that... maybe she's paranoid? I dunno, I'll be all about the wipe out/use again method. 

You need to prep stuff. Do it before the baby gets here

There is no fuzzy cloth on the inside of covers. It's just more PUL. Easy to wipe, and like the pps said, you just air it out and reuse it. We had *maybe* 6 covers

Either she's unsure of how covers work, or she's using PF folds that are allowing poo to leak out every.single.time.

• imageDr.Loretta:
    imagenerdbaby:

Ahhh... ok then.  See, all my stash stuff is still in whatever packaging it came in - not planning to open anything until baby's actually here and then we'll be test running each brand/type as we go.  So maybe had I actually inspected one of my covers I would have seen that you can wipe the covers out, I was assuming they were some sort of fuzzy cloth on the inside.

You need to prep stuff. Do it before the baby gets here

There is no fuzzy cloth on the inside of covers. It's just more PUL. Easy to wipe, and like the pps said, you just air it out and reuse it. We had *maybe* 6 covers

Either she's unsure of how covers work, or she's using PF folds that are allowing poo to leak out every.single.time.

Yes I agree you will need to prep some stuff so I suggest getting it out before baby gets here to prep and also to get familiar with what you are doing or else you may get overwhelmed if you are trying to do it once baby gets here

• Good point.. I guess I thought I could prep a few at a time to try and see what's what, but yeah.. who wants to do that when you're home day one with a newborn?
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • imagenerdbaby:
    Good point.. I guess I thought I could prep a few at a time to try and see what's what, but yeah.. who wants to do that when you're home day one with a newborn?

Having a newborn is like having more free time and less sleep than ever before. I learned how to crochet when DS was itty!

My covers usually dried by the time I needed to change him next, so I just left one out on the changing table to dry. If it smelled like ammonia I was doing something wrong, NB pee doesn't stink that much until after it sits for a while.

• Your friend might just be trifolding (no snappi). That's a recipe for poop covers.

We'd reuse a couple covers for the day until they got pooped on or it was laundry time.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"