Working Moms
Options

step backwards in career for more time with LO? (long)

Currently DH and I both work 9 hours a day with a 45 minute commute each way. Our 4 month old LO is in a daycare center from 7:15-5:45. This means she is there for over 50 hours a week. We love the daycare center and have had no issues so far, but I can't help feeling like this is an excessive amount of time for her to be there, especially when she's so young.

I've been offered a job that is across the street from her daycare center, two minutes from my house. It would eliminate my commute, give me more time with her and the ability to see her at lunch. She would also only be in DC 4 days a week. However... it's a step back for me professionally and it would be about $10K-$15K less per year. Financially we can swing it, but money would be tight and we wouldn't be able to save. The job is not my ideal job (although neither is my current job) and is not really in my field, but it would be fine for the time being.

I'm loving the idea of no commute and less DC time for LO, but I'm feeling like it's selfish and irresponsible to take a paycut and the step back could hurt my career in the long run.

My question is: has anyone ever taken a step backwards in their career for the sake of LO? Were you able to easily move back into a position that was in line with where you were?  If you were in my situation, would you take the new job?

Thanks so much ladies!

I'm in sales

Re: step backwards in career for more time with LO? (long)

• Options
    I would take it in a second!  They're so young for only a heartbeat.  Before you know it, they're teenagers.  Like the pp said, go with your instinct.  

• Options

Not really a step backwards, but I'm currently struggling with a similar decision.  I'm a historian, there aren't a lot of history jobs, where I am now is a great position at a respected university, I don't work long hours or take work home, my schedule is flexible and no one really cares when I come and go so long as things get done.  Plus the U is a great place to work, very casual, nice people, good benefits etc.  BUT we're experiencing funding issues.  I took a 10% pay cut last year and it's really hurting us, we're making do, but it's not easy and it's not fun.   I could probably make more $ in a generic admin position in the business world, but I'm sure I'd have to work harder/longer and give up my flexibility.  Not to mention give up my career (as a historian) for a job that's "just a paycheck."  Just contemplating that makes me cry but on the other hand I want to have a second baby and we just can't afford it with my current income.

I don't really have any advice for you, I just wanted to say you're not alone.   Good luck with your decision. 

My big boy is bounding towards 4! Baby brother coming in October!
    Hipster dog is not impressed.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'd take the job!!
  • Options
    I would do it. My DD is in DC 10 hours a day and I absolutely hate it. I plan to look for a new job much closer to home once this new baby is 6 months old. We know it will probably mean a cut in pay but I've had enough of being away from home nearly 11 a day. I miss my kiddo and it's exhausting trying to fit in everything else in the limited time we have as a family each night.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I would only do it if it was in my field because I love what I do.  I work in communications/PR and once you leave it is hard to return.  As far as money take into account all of the gas money you will be saving. I know with my commute I spend on average 75 a week in gas. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

45 minute commute each way!  That takes a toll on you physically and mentally.  I'd say take it since I actually SAH for 3 years when DS was born.  I agree with pps, they are only young once and the time flies by.

As far as not having money for savings, could you cut some "frill" expenses like cable or eating out often so that you could maintain a savings account?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• Options
    Do it! I'd give anything to be in your shoes right now. LO is at daycare 50 hours a week and it is killing me. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I would do it.

Just think how long you have a career. In the long run, one step backwards for a few years to spend more time with your child, if its the right thing for you and your family, is not going to make or break your career.

GL with the decision. I know it can be a tough one.

**** TW - kids and loss mentioned ****
    ~~ married 8.11.07
    ~~ DD1 1.16.11 ~~ DD2 1.3.14 ~~
    ~~ BFP3 12.22.15 MMC 2.29.16 @ 13 weeks ~~
    ~~ 2 D&Cs (3.1.16 and 3.10.16) for MMC
    ~~ BFP4 10.27.16  MMC 1.23.17 @ 16 weeks ~~ D&E 1.26.17 ~~
  • Options
    I'd probably do it.  I had planned to go PT after #2 and my boss talked me into to just teleworking 2 days a week instead.  I have questioned myself every single day and I'm getting VERY close to requesting PT again.  DH and I have basically agreed to pay off all debts except the house as quickly as possible so that it won't be quite such a financial burden for us. But I feel like if I don't do this, I will have this in my "REGRET" column for life and I'm not cool with that.

• Options
    I would take it. I've asked for a demotion at work, so that I can work less hours (and have less stress). 
  • Options

Thank you guys so much...I am pretty sure I'm going to take it. It will mean cutting out all frills like cable and eating out, etc, just to get by, but, like you all said, more time with her is the most important thing! And I have to remind myself that I do have years to advance my career, I don't have to be where I ultimately want to be right now. That is something I forget :)

• Options

I did this a few years ago but my commute was only 20 minutes.  I took a demotion at my work.  I totally 100% regret it.  Literally,for the past 4 years I have asked myself WTF was I thinking??!?  BUT- the opportunity to work PT would be awesome. What does your DH do?  Coudl he find a job that pays more?  Cutting out all thethings you're mentioning doesn't sound fun , plus not having savings is a little worrisome.  Could you find an in-home place?  I know you love your daycare but i promise good in-home places are out there too (& they're usually a LOT less $$).

Good luck.

• Options

If you took this job, would you be able to get back into your ideal field in a couple years when LO is older?  Are there any alternatives with your current job, like working from home 1 day/week? 

I would personally take the new job, but I also have been rethinking my career path since getting pg.  Last year I passed up a couple new positions that would have been promotions with more money and in a higher job grade, but it would have been more travel and more responsibility, and my priorities just changed with baby.  I'm happy to go back to a job that I know well and my focus is on being a good working mom and not climbing the ladder right now.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    I took a 15% salary cut/hour reduction when DS was 9 months old. I don't regret it at all. I'd like to cut back a little further - but I don't think my employer will let me. I love the time off I have with the kids!
  • Options
    Every person and situation is different so only you know the answer.  I'm wonderig if you want more kids?  If so, what happens when they come along...and then you wake up and 7 years later you're still in a job that isn't really what you want to do and you haven't progressed professionally?  I'm not saying that is what would happen I would just be careful to be very thoughtful about your next move.  It sounds like this job is a better situation in the short-term.  I would consider taking it and using some of that "extra" time to continue to look for something closer to home that is a better fit career-wise.  Good luck!
  • Options
    I would probably do it as well. When our twins came I went to a flex schedule and my job has been great about that. But I know that there is a certain limit to how much more they are going to promote me or allow me to take own (that I might want to) because I'm not here 5 days a week. I was even offered another more senior role that would have required me to be in the office 5 days. I turned it down because right now I just want the flexibility. I am hoping that when they're older and in school if I want to come back 5 days I can. We'll see...but I think that's a pretty good tradeoff to eliminate the time your LO is in daycare. Good luck deciding@
  • Options

I did it.  Same thing, kids were in daycare about 50 hours a week.  My job was demanding, so was DH's.  Plus, I knew that when our older DS started school (he started this past fall) we'd see him even less.  I hated that!  So I went from top of the ladder, down to the bottom.  Less pay and less hours.  It was a financial stretch for awhile, but things have worked out and I'm making a nice chunk now (comparable or better than what I was originally bringing in minus the extra expenses)

Adrian 7.6.07 - ADHD, Disruptive Behavior Disorder, Learning Disability-NOS
    Cam 6.6.10 - Autism, Global Developmental Delay, Mixed Receptive/Expressive Communication Disorder
  • Options

I went back part-time after DD was born and I could not be happier. I have about an hour - hour and 15 minute commute each way with DCP drop off and there was no way I could continue doing FT. I have gone down to 24 hours a week (flexible) and I go into the office 2x a week and work from home the rest of the time. I have been so fortunate, and I really can't think of many drawbacks except the cut in pay. I love having both adult interaction, time with my kid, and time to do some things around the house.

At first I tried to do PT daycare, but it just wasn't working, the way I have made PT work was to be flexible and available so we switched to an inhome (that we love) and FT is the same as PT at a center. Some weeks I wind up working close to FT (but I'm non-exempt now and get paid for the extra time), but the majority of the time I work 24 hours. I was concerned about this impacting my career, but since being PT, I have received a promotion with a 15.5% increase.

There are many women that leave the workforce and become SAHM. While it likely impacts their career path, it is well known and easily explainable when trying to reenter the workforce. I think you can easily explain stepping back in the future and you are still maintaing your skills and connections.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I would do it in a second.  I've been mulling over reducing my hours, but haven't talked to DH or my boss about it yet. 
  • Options
    I reduced my hours after having DD and did essentially take a step back in my career. I haven't regretted it for a second. The extra out of work time has given me a pretty good balance in my life and I absolutely have loved having more time with DD during the week.
  • Options

If I were in your shoes, it would come down to what I feel is really best for me and for my family. If you love your job, maybe that's best for your family because it means you are happy. If what you most want is a better balance and more time with your LO, then it may be best to take the new position. The way I look at career is that it will always, always be there for us to return to. One day, when your child/children is/are older, you'll be albe to get back into the swing of things. But your children will never be little again. This isn't meant to be a guilt trip because I too have contemplated this many times and am still on the fast-track at work and gone from home 12 hour days. It's just something I've been thinking about a lot as I'm trying to make my own decision: which option would I regret less?

BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"