June 2012 Moms

Received call from Doc today

He was calling to tell me, my proteins in my blood sample were high and that it is effecting the placenta. I forgot what he called it, as I am horrible with medical terms. He said it could increase the change for an early delivery and a smaller than average baby. Starting at 24 weeks, I will be seeing him every two weeks until delivery. He said is wasn't super serious, but of course I can't stop thinking about it.

Anyone ever had experience with something like this?

DS - Born 6/17/12 

DS#2 - Due 2/11/15

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Received call from Doc today

• Is it placenta previa? I haven't had experience with is but and high risk because of my blood pressure and will not go past 38 weeks. I see the doctor every two weeks as of last month. I know how scary it is but I'm glad your doc is watching you close and being proactive!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Hi Ashley,

I'm sorry about the elevated protein.  After I had the second blood draw for the Down's Syndrome test, my AFP came back elevated. I'm not sure if that is the same protein that is elevated for you.  If it is, it's a protein that the baby produces, so it has nothing to do with your nutrition or anything that you are doing.  My OB also said that it could increase the chance for early delivery.  On a separate note, I also have a partial placenta previa, but I don't think the two are related.  Like you, I'm going to monitored a little more frequently.  An u/s once a month and a separate doctor's appointment once a month. 

I'm sure that everything is fine and your doctor is just being cautious, which is good.  Sorry for the long response.  Try not to worry!

• Loading the player...
  • imageambiep:
    Is it placenta previa? I haven't had experience with is but and high risk because of my blood pressure and will not go past 38 weeks. I see the doctor every two weeks as of last month. I know how scary it is but I'm glad your doc is watching you close and being proactive!

I think that might be it. He did say there was a chance of my blood pressure going up. I know there is really nothing I can do, so I am glad my doctor is on top of it too. Thanks for the response.

DS - Born 6/17/12 

DS#2 - Due 2/11/15

• I hope everything stays okay. I'm glad they are going to be monitoring you more regularly - that is definitely a sigh of relief. That way, it will be easier to keep you & LO under the radar. GL & I hope everything stays a-okay with you & your LO.

Elonah [3], Bentley [1]

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I don't have any experience or knowledge about this, but just wanted to send out T&P your way!   It sounds like since it's just increased chance and not for sure going to affect your pregnancy that he just being cautious and keeping you informed.  I know it's hard to get things off your mind though!

BabyFruit Ticker
    image imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageambiep:
    Is it placenta previa? I haven't had experience with is but and high risk because of my blood pressure and will not go past 38 weeks. I see the doctor every two weeks as of last month. I know how scary it is but I'm glad your doc is watching you close and being proactive!

Placenta Previa is when the placenta lays either covering the whole cervix or partially covering the cervix. It is seen on ultrasounds, no blood work needed. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
  • imageabbyhannah8:

imageambiep:

Placenta Previa is when the placenta lays either covering the whole cervix or partially covering the cervix. It is seen on ultrasounds, no blood work needed. 

Oh then I don't know what he called it. I am going to the doctor on Thurs and will ask him again. I just am really bad when I talk on the phone and have a hard time getting all the facts.

DS - Born 6/17/12 

DS#2 - Due 2/11/15

• imageabbyhannah8:

imageambiep:

Correct. Thanks for pointing this out so that the OP wouldn't worry even more. I don't want the OP to think she might have placenta previa when it sounds like she doesn't. I urge people to google up some medical terms before posting them even though we are innocently giving advice to others with good intentions.  I'm not trying to be mean or anything along those lines. Its just that I've seen some mommies on this site get really worried about abnormal results on tests and throwing more into the mix doesn't help (especially if it has nothing to do with her current condition).

OP speak with your doctor tomorrow and don't hesitate to get all the details. I work in the medical field and I know how simple it is for medical professionals to throw out medical terms that are common and instantly recognizable to us in the field but aren't for the lay person. Call him/her up! That's what they are there for :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"