Stay at Home Moms
Options

For Hope: What to do with old diaries / journals

Lurkers were included in the request, right?  : )

With the New Year I am trying to clean up/organize.  I have about 5 journals that I've kept throughout the years (most from about 15-20 years ago).  I don't know if I should shred or keep.  I doubt I will take the time to read through all of them, nor would I ever want anyone else to read them.  But for pure nostalgia, I can't seem to destroy.

What have you all done?  Hopefully someone can relate... or I'll feel really silly being the only one with a diary!

Re: For Hope: What to do with old diaries / journals

• Options

I found this on unclutter.com:

• If you wrote them for therapeutic reasons, as a way to work through problems in your life, then go ahead and burn them.
    • If you wrote them as messages to your future self, then keep them.
    • If you wrote them as a record that you were alive in that moment, then keep them.
    • If you wrote them to vent your frustrations, then burn them.

It's a cute article, but the issue is that most people probably have a mixture of the above reasons. I keep mine.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I have a pretty lock box that I keep on the top shelf of my closet that has my old journals in it. Next to it I have my old toy box that I have all my childhood memory things in (girl scout uniform, porcelain unicorns, stuffed animal, notes and letters from old friends (some are IM chats that I printed!), coloring pages, art projects, old pictures, camp shirts, school spirit memorabilia etc) I love to look through it and remember. DD#1 is increasingly interested in it and I love to share my past with her. When my DD's are older I *might* share some of my old journals with them just to relate to their teenage angst... we'll see!

I actually used to have two additional boxes of stuff but I weeded everything out and organized it all into the toy box or the lock box and everything else got chucked. I shredded a few things, like some of these ridiculously embrassing stories I used to write that I dont even want to see anymore! And some notes  with people I wasn't that great of friends with or didn't mean a lot to me.

My 2 girls, both born on a Friday the 13th, are exactly 2 years, 2 months, 2 hours and 2 minutes apart! And Baby Boy joined us October 11, 2013! image
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

***former hoarder/pack rat, almost fully recovered***

I used to have every diary and journal that I'd ever made, starting with my first grade journal (Mostly illegible). I have a huge box that I carried from house to house every time I moved, along with loads of other art-related memorabilia. One day, I realized that I would rather eat glass than ever share any of that stuff with any living soul on this planet. I realized I was just carrying around this giant box of shame with me everywhere I went in life. I was forced to downsize everything at the end of 2009 when J and I bought an RV and moved all our stuff into storage.

I broke them up into smaller, inconspicuous looking packages and threw them in dumpsters in rest stops along the interstate going south from when I lived at the time. I didn't really have a place to burn them safely, and it seemed like the easiest way to get rid of them myself one afternoon.

Elkanah Brave, born 02/06/2012 7:26am
  • Options

Mine are all boxed up in the top of my closet but I love going back periodically and reading them.  If I die, I think DH will be the only one to read them, and I don't think he will be too surprised by the contents.  I'm a big time journal person and I can't imagine burning them. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"