High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

I have another cerclage? Working as nurse after?

Anyone have a preventative cerclage placed for IC and then still work?  My high risk OB said that I can keep working as an ICU nurse so I did my first shift 7 days after the placement and I was in so much pain....extreme cramping that wrapped to my back, some pressure on my pelvic floor.  It started about 3 hours into my shift.  I couldn't sit down or slow down because it was a really busy day.  I even had some stabbing "ice pick" pain in my middle of my uterus.  By the end of the shift I was pink spotting and had a few small spots of red blood.

I called the office and they told me that as long as I wasn't really bleeding then I was okay, that cramping was okay and normal.  I just don't know.  My gut is telling me that it isn't okay.  I guess do I just keep working and hope for the best?  Did anyone else have that sort of pain and everything was fine?

And anyone work in a strenuous job like a nurse, on their feet for long long periods without breaks and had to lift things with a cerclage?  I am not looking to get out of work because in all reality I may lose my job if I have to go out so early but my #1 goal to have a healthy baby.  I can not lose this baby...I just can't.  I feel like everyone I read about either does light bedrest with restrictions or at least doesn't do work in a "hard on body" field.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: I have another cerclage? Working as nurse after?

• Options

I had a preventative cerclage placed at 13 weeks due to IC.  My MFM released me back to work a week after my procedure; however, I don't have a physically demanding job like yours.  My MFM does have me on restrictions, including no standing more than 60 minutes at a time, no lifting over 10 lbs, pelvic rest, etc.  I feel like these are pretty "standard" restrictions for a cerclage, so I'm surprised your doctor doesn't have you on any limitations, especially considering your job. 

It is your body and you need to trust your instincts.  Has your doctor seen you since your cerclage was placed to check the stitch and measure your cervix?  I have learned you really need to be own advocate, so if you feel something is off then you should try to get in to see your doctor or possibly get a second opinion from a different MFM.

Hopefully some other cerclage ladies with job demands similar to yours will respond......your cervix may just still be sore from the cerclage, or it might have been too much activity too quickly, but it couldn't hurt to get things checked out just to be safe.  

I wish you all the best - IC is a scary thing, so listen to your body and try to rest when you can!

BFP #1 6/16/10 - B/G Twins! Born into Heaven on 10/10/10 at 20 weeks due to IC.

BFP #2 5/4/11 - Missed miscarriage on 6/24/11. BFP #3 9/29/11 - Hoping for our rainbow baby!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

It does seem that there is a standard restrictions and my job does not fall within that range at all....I am often on my feet for hours at a time and I *may* get to sit down for a few seconds in that time frame.  Boosting patient is way over 15-30 lbs...heck, some patient's have a leg that is well over 30 lb :/

I am supposed to work monday and then I see the OB for my first cervical check up post cerclage.  I feel like I am fishing to get out of work and that is totally not it, I just want the best for this pregnancy and yesterday scared me with all the pain.  It lasted until about 2 am and then finally I stopped cramping and I could sleep.  My goal was to work until at least 20 weeks like I did with my son (sans cercalge) but I didn't know I had a problem then.

Thanks for the response :)

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I was put on severe restrictions after my preventative cerclage (though keep in mind, I don't have typical IC - I have cervical damage at the internal os, the cerclage is supposed to stabilize that internal platform and keep from dilating inside out).  I work primarily at a desk, but my three departments are on the other side of campus from my central office.  I used to visit daily.

They immediately said two - three times a week, max.  They issued a prescription for a temporary handicap permit.  I'm not supposed to walk or stand for more than 20 minutes at a time.  I'm allowed one flight of stairs a day.  That's it. 

No way they would release me back to such an intensive job, and they would bedrest me for any signs of spotting.  Talk to your MFM/Peri/OB again about just how physically intense your job is and explain how it went your first day back.  I'd find that worrisome.  Granted, again, my situation is different (the big concern is instability, internal dilation and water breaking, so whatever pressure we can keep off the cervix, we do), but still - what you describe sounds agonizing and anxiety filled.

Gabriel Ross - August 24, 2009 * Vivienne Rose - May 1, 2012

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My Blog

• Options

I plan to call in on monday and when I see the doctor that week I think I'm going to just flat out ask him to release me from working.  I am per diem status so I have no benefits so I can't file for "light duty" work as a secretary or anything. 

I have decided I can't risk this....will everything be okay even if I work a couple shifts a week?  Probably.  Do I want to take a chance that something does happen?  Absolutely not.

I left my shift yesterday at 8:30 pm and even now at 6:00 pm the next day I am still crampy and have a heavy pressure on my lower parts.  This was not like this the day before I worked. 

If my high risk blows it off as normal I'll call my regular OB and talk to him.  I know some cramping can be normal but the "bend over and squeeze your legs together cramp/pressure" is not.  I know it's not.

• Options

I'm also a nurse and I'm high risk. I don't have a cerclage, but I'm getting 17P shots because my first baby was premature. My doctor has already mentioned taking me out of work because she knows my work is intense and I'm on my feet all day like you. I refuse to do any lifting, pushing or pulling though and my boss and coworkers are ok with that. 

Last Thursday night/Friday morning I lost my mucus plug and she immediately pulled me out of work. I have a feeling when I see her Wednesday she's going to tell me I cant work at all until after baby is born.  Better safe than sorry? 

I would definitely want to be out of work if I were you. Especially with having those symptoms. I know what you mean about wanting to work as long as you can. I don't know where you are, but I work in pennsylvania and the FMLA laws and my hospitals policy isn't very beneficial to pregnant women. I have the same fears as you do. Not to mention I have to figure out how to budget on short disability. But healthy babies are all that matters!!! 

Good luck to you.  

imageimage

"When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible"--Harry, When Harry Met Sally

• Options

Yeah, sweetie, that sounds like too much.  I hope you are bedresting right now as much as possible.  Anytime I've done too much (which is laughable compared to what I used to do), I feel the pressure, heaviness, achiness and I have to bedrest for awhile to get rid of it.

Definitely take care of yourself.  Stay hydrated.  Off your feet for a bit.  Thinking of you and your LO.

Gabriel Ross - August 24, 2009 * Vivienne Rose - May 1, 2012

My Blog

• Options
    a nurse on my unit had a cerlage placed and was required to go to light duty and do no patient care. ima rn on a medsurg unit. i would def listen to your body. does your mfm really understand what you do? i find most people other than nurses actually know what nurses do. gl
  • Options

Thanks ladies...I have spoke with my DH about everything too and I am basically going to tell my doctor I can't keep working.  It's not worth the risk.

I'll update after my appointment on the 1st.

• Options
    That's a good question.  I hope to finish school for nursing within the next couple years and maybe get a CNA job in the meantime.  I don't know how that will all pan out if I get pregnant again b/c the dr says I need a preventative cerc next time.  Regardless of your job or what's "normal" it seems what you're experiencing is not.  I had an emergent cerc so I was on bedrest all the time.  The only time I had really bad pain like you're describing is when the cerc pulled through and I had to have it re-done.  I would take it easy like you said.  You certainly don't need to be lifting patients. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"