Trouble TTC

Questions about Metformin and IVF (PA/SAIF Welcome)

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question!

I'm planning my grocery shopping list for the next week and a half, and we're expecting my ER to be early next week (maybe Tuesday).  Here's what's tripping me up: usually I'd buy some Gatorade and salty snacks for post-ER consumption -- but that was before I was on Metformin.  Is it OK to eat that stuff while on Metformin?  I've had some issues with potato chips, and I'm not sure if the sugar content of Gatorade is too high.  I'd hate to drink it and then have Metformin-related stomach trouble, because post-ER that will hurt like h%ll.  

Anyone on Metformin during IVF have an opinion on this?  

Also, as a side question, has anyone on Metformin during IVF stimulation had issues with sudden hypoglycemia?  I've had hypoglycemic attacks twice now since starting stims, and I haven't changed anything about my eating habits (which were working fine for me before starting stims).  

The Table Has Shoes (and Other Ambiguities)
Follow Me on Pinterest
Me = lean PCOS;DH = poor morphology (3%)
3 IUI/TI cycles = BFN
IVF #1 with ICSI: antagonist protocol = BFFN
IVF #2 with ICSI : Lupron downregulation = BFFN...FML
IVF #3 with ICSI and AH (Antagonist) = IT'S A BOY!!!!

dumbledore

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Questions about Metformin and IVF (PA/SAIF Welcome)

• I haven't started my IVF cycle yet so I can't give you any previous experience or suggestions.  I just wanted to say good luck!

After more than 2 years of fertility treatments, FET did the trick!
    IVF March 2012 - BFP! - Severe OHSS = 8 days in the hospital in kidney failure
    No heartbeat at 10w6d
    FET August 27,2012 = BFP!
    It's a boy!
    My Blog - 3 Dogs, No Baby

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had no issues with my stomach and drinking gatorade after ER.    I also didn't notice any changes while I was stimming either. 

Did you have a follie check or b/w yet? 

TTC #1 since 6/09
    Dx: PCOS and MFI
    3 IUIs, 4 IVFs = BFFN
      3rd RE: IVF #5/FET = BFP
    14dp5dt=1170 16dp5dt=2573

1st u/s=
    TWINS!
    It's a Boy and a Girl!

Born at 34w3d! 

• Loading the player...
  • imagehootie123:

I had no issues with my stomach and drinking gatorade after ER.    I also didn't notice any changes while I was stimming either. 

Oh good, maybe I'll try drinking a bottle of Gatorade pre-ER to make sure that's true for me, too.

I had a follie check/blood work today, and I go again on Thursday.  I already had a bit of growth today, so I'm definitely looking on target for the originally-estimated ER date of 2/7 or 2/8, at least so far!  :-D

Follow Me on Pinterest
    3 IUI/TI cycles = BFN

dumbledore

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagelimpetfan:
    imagehootie123:

I had no issues with my stomach and drinking gatorade after ER.    I also didn't notice any changes while I was stimming either. 

Oh good, maybe I'll try drinking a bottle of Gatorade pre-ER to make sure that's true for me, too.

I had a follie check/blood work today, and I go again on Thursday.  I already had a bit of growth today, so I'm definitely looking on target for the originally-estimated ER date of 2/7 or 2/8, at least so far!  :-D

Yes

TTC #1 since 6/09
    Dx: PCOS and MFI
    3 IUIs, 4 IVFs = BFFN
      3rd RE: IVF #5/FET = BFP
    14dp5dt=1170 16dp5dt=2573

1st u/s=
    TWINS!
    It's a Boy and a Girl!

Born at 34w3d! 

• I was on Metformin for two years, and I had no trouble with Gatorade. I didn't have many side effects while on Met though. I don't know if that helps or not, but I wanted to say good luck to you! :)

08.2008 | Diagnosed with PCOS
    11.2011 | First appointment with RE
    12.2011 | HSG reveals 100% blockages in both tubes
    02.2012 | Laparoscopy & Hysteroscopy to unblock tubes...success!

{ BFP # 1 | April 1, 2012 }
    Jonah Alexander is here! Born 12.07.12 @ 39w3d

{ BFP # 2 | May 22, 2013 }
    Chemical Pregnancy :(

{ BFP # 3 | February 12, 2014 }
    So far, so good! We love you, little peanut!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I heard some advice over on the IF board to try coconut water rather than Gatorade post-ER.  Apparently it has a higher concentration of electrolytes (and quite a bit of potassium, which is good for anti-cramping) and no sugar.  I actually find the taste of Gatorade kind of repulsive so I loved the coconut water.  By itself, it kind of tastes like slimy water, but I added a little bit of strong-tasting juice (pomegranate or blueberry) and it was quite nice!  So if you're worried about sugar maybe that's a good alternative. 

And OMG I can't believe your ER is getting so close!  I'm excited for you, and hoping like heck that luck will finally be on your side this cycle -- plus all of the great changes that you made will finally pay off. 

Severe MFI. Me: supposedly all clear but eggs showed vacuoles.

IVF #1 January 2012, ER Jan 14th: 34R, 27M, 23F. Day 3: 18 embies still strong. Day 5: zero "good," one "fair," the rest "poor." Transferred 3. None made it to blast or to freeze. Jan 28: BFN.

Lucky IVF #2: Transferred two beautiful day three embies on St. Patrick's Day. BFP on HPT 7dp3dt. Beta 1 (14dpER)=106; Beta 2 (16dpER)=140; Beta 3 (19dpER)=264! First u/s 4.17.

imageimageimageBabyFruit Ticker

Hope is the thing with feathers - that perches in the soul - and sings the tune without the words - and never stops - at all - (Emily Dickinson)

• imagefarmerlynda:

I heard some advice over on the IF board to try coconut water rather than Gatorade post-ER.  Apparently it has a higher concentration of electrolytes (and quite a bit of potassium, which is good for anti-cramping) and no sugar.  I actually find the taste of Gatorade kind of repulsive so I loved the coconut water.  By itself, it kind of tastes like slimy water, but I added a little bit of strong-tasting juice (pomegranate or blueberry) and it was quite nice!  So if you're worried about sugar maybe that's a good alternative. 

And OMG I can't believe your ER is getting so close!  I'm excited for you, and hoping like heck that luck will finally be on your side this cycle -- plus all of the great changes that you made will finally pay off. 

Oooo, coconut water, that's interesting!  I don't love Gatorade, so I am definitely going to check that out - thanks!

I can't believe my ER is getting close, either.  I'm terrified something is going to go wrong, and even more terrified we're going to show up for the ET and get our usual awful news.  But, also excited that maybe the changes worked :)

Follow Me on Pinterest
    3 IUI/TI cycles = BFN

dumbledore

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thoughts from a lurker:

I did experience hypoglycemic events while I was stimming. I couldn't decide if I felt blah from the met, or from the stims.  I think it was both.  The RE dropped me from 1000mg to just 500 mg and that seemed to help.  I also tried to eat often, even though I felt nauseous al the time!

Knock on wood, I never had tummy trouble with the met, but I didn't have any problems with Gatorade post ER.  But like you mentioned, any troubles post ER would not be pleasant. 

Good luck to you!

Wickedly nice Step Mom to JJ since 5/2/09
    Born 7/26/01-- Adopted 3/6/02

Two and a Half Years, Too Many Treatments, One Precious Miracle
    Abby born 11/5/12 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• imagedatagirl79:

Thoughts from a lurker:

I did experience hypoglycemic events while I was stimming. I couldn't decide if I felt blah from the met, or from the stims.  I think it was both.  The RE dropped me from 1000mg to just 500 mg and that seemed to help.  I also tried to eat often, even though I felt nauseous al the time!

Knock on wood, I never had tummy trouble with the met, but I didn't have any problems with Gatorade post ER.  But like you mentioned, any troubles post ER would not be pleasant. 

Good luck to you!

I'm glad it's not just me with the hypoglycemia issue!  I know my RE won't drop my Met dosage, so I guess I'll bring loads of extra food to work with me for the next week or so :)

Follow Me on Pinterest
    3 IUI/TI cycles = BFN

dumbledore

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"