C-sections

How long in the hospital??

I am scheduled for a c/s on Friday the 3rd at 10:30am. What are the odds I will be able to go home Saturday night? I know my insurance will give me 72 hours in the hospital with a c/s, should I take it? My parents are coming into town Saturday night, and I figured it would be nice to be at my house when they got into town. This is my first baby. I have been told that once you are up and moving and have pooped they will usually let you go, although you have to stay at least one night. Just curious what you all did/plan on doing. Thanks
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How long in the hospital??

• Saturday night? Probably not.

They kept me there for 4 days with both my children. It takes time to heal. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Sunday morning at the earliest.  I had mine on a Wednesday and left Friday morning and I was healing extremely well. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I doubt you'll be home by Saturday. I had both of mine on Mondays. First time I left on Friday (he was still in the NICU so they let me stay another night) and second time I left on Thursday.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • I had an e-c/s and they kept me 7 days, 5 nights.

TBH, I though it was great. I had help, alone time with DS, and tons of time to rest.

• A c-section is major surgery.   They are not going let you go home the next day!   I was supposed to stay for 4 nights(had c-section on Tues night) but wound up having to stay longer due to complications.   My dr also did my friend's c-section and gave her the option of going home after 3 nights(can't remember off the top of my head if she stayed the 4th night or not)

• I think my hospital keeps you a minimum of 2 nights after a c-section.  I was there 3 nights because I didn't have DD until 8:15pm and my doc thought it would be better if I stayed the extra night.  If I pushed, I think he would have let me out after 2 nights.
  • I highly doubt that they will discharge you the following night. My hospital has a mandatory 3 night stay.
    After many years and tears our baby boy is finally here
    Born 11-6-10

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• My baby was born the night of the 23rd, and they said I could go home on the 25th since it was Christmas Day, but encouraged me to stay one more night. It was a good decision to stay.

I needed a little more help with BFing, baby needed more monitoring for jaundice, and the encouraged me to take that last night to get lots of sleep by sending the baby to the nursery which was the best advice I got.

If you do leave early, expect to be having to take the baby into the pedi, which on a Sunday would be difficult.

I would not even consider, with a first baby, leaving the next day.

• I would stay as long as you can get it covered so that you have a safe healing environment and professional help with the baby... Maybe tell your folks to come after the 4 days or towards the end of your stay.

What's the rush to go home right after such a serious procedure?

I am planning to stay the entire allowed time.

• I doubt your hospital or your OB will discharge you the next evening. With DS1, he came at 1140pm on a sunday and got out on wednesday. With DS2, I had him at 8am thursday morning and got out on sunday morning. I stayed an extra day with ds2 b/c I knew how busy it would be at home with 2 little ones so close in age.
    BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • 3 nights, including the one she was born.  I had DD at almost midnight Friday and was discharged on Monday.  No poop, could hardly stand straight/walk, still in bad pain.  The dr on call wanted to send me home on Sunday.  I would've stayed the 4-5 days I thought all c/s pts do if I could.  I didn't expect to deliver so soon, DD was still in the NICU and I was really unprepared.  I was miserable and upset when I had to leave. 
  • I agree leaving after one night is pushing it! My ob was going to dc me after 2 nights, but DS was jaundice and couldn't be discharged, so since my insurance covers 3 nights (for cs's with no complications) I stayed the third night! 

I am so glad I did. The extra care and quiet alone time with DS was worth it! 

• I highly doubt you will feel like going home the next day or that it would be an option at all.  I had my c-section on a Monday and went home Friday.  I would have loved to be able to stay more.  It's a major surgery and I was still unable to move much for awhile.
    7 mm/c
    APS, hetero factor v leiden & MTHFR
    bfp #1 - 12.11.07, edd 8.14.08, mm/c 1.21.08 (10w4d)
    bfp #2 - 4.4.08, edd 12.3.08, mm/c 5.14.08 (11w)
    bfp #3 - 8.3.08, edd 4.15.09, mm/c 9.17.08 (10w)
    bfp #4 - 1.15.09, edd 9.26.09, mm/c 2.16.09 (8w2d)
    bfp #5 - 6.16.09, edd 2.25.10, mm/c 7.23.09 (9w)
    bfp #6 - 8.12.10, edd 4.27.11, mm/c 9.16.10 (8w1d)
    one more try -> bfp #7 - 2.11, our miracle baby boy arrived 10.11
    ttc again -> bfp #8 - 5.3.13, edd 1.13.14, mm/c 5.30.13 (7w3d)
    bfp #9 - 9.23.13, our miracle baby girl arrived 5.29.14

• I had my c-section at 5 am Saturday, and went home Tuesday at lunchtime.
  • I doubt - and dont think you'd really want to - go home Sat night.

I had A monday at quarter after 6 at night and didnt leave till thursday mid afternoon. I probably could have gone home Wed night bc I was fine but Ana's biliruben levels were high and I didnt want to go home without her.

I was up walking around at about 1am tues morning - they make you get up and walk - and used the bathroom by Tuesday afternoon (and let me tell you what even peeing was weird). I was able to shower Tuesday as well but bc I couldnt bend down, I couldnt put my pants/undies on by myself and needed help. You'd be surprised how many things you use your stomach for that you dont realize it - like getting out of bed, coughing, sneezing, using the bathroom... It was nice being in there as long as I was and getting the extra help from the nurses.

I understand you wanting to be home when your parents get there but I wouldnt push to get out of the hospital any earlier than the doc says your ready. And IMO, I'd take the time that your insurance offers you - I know if I have to have a repeat c/s I would stay that long again if they offered/I needed it.

• I was home in 48 hours.
  • With both previous c-sections I stayed there the whole four days and I didn't want to leave. Especially if this is your first, take the time they give you and stay. Breastfeeding with #1 was really hard for me, and it was absolutely invaluable having the nurses/lactation consultants there at my fingertips. It was also wonderful having to not make food or think about it at all. The nurses were super helpful and sweet and I thought it was great. I cannot PICTURE wanting to leave after one day. No way, no how. This will be my third c-section and I'm still going to advocate to stay the full four days.
  • You are having major surgery and will require a lot of healing time and observation by medical professionals to make sure you are healing properly.  I seriously doubt your OB will d/c you the next day.  Don't rush it.  You will be glad you stayed the recommended amount of time.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersimageimageimage
  • I just had my c/s last week and stayed there for 4 nights. I found I really needed the time I spent there. My last night likely could have been spent at home, but I was glad I stayed. I found I was a lot more comfortable in the hospital adjustable bed than my own bed at home.
  • Check your hospital policy. Ours is two days for a vaginal birth and three for a c/s, if there are no complications. I was in the hospital from Monday-Friday and had a pretty straightforward labour and delivery.
  • They wanted to keep me for 4 nights...I stayed for 3 nights.

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog

• Doubtful Saturday.  You probably need to stay a min of 48 hours.  I stayed for about 96 hours after but was ready earlier.  They kept me longer because we has babies in the NICU 2 hours from home.
  • my advice is to stay as long as possible.  i had mine on the 20th (unscheduled) around noon and came home late afternoon on the 24th.  I actually asked for an extra night so my baby could room in since he was in the nicu until then.  i think i made the right choice-- first day or two home was hardest physically and emotionally.
  • Not very likely!

I had DD on a Monday afternoon and didn't leave until lunch time Friday and I had no complications!

image imageimage Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • No I wouldn't think sat night would b possible. Plus you'll want to stay as long as u can to rest and get all the nurse help u can! I had my DD at 1am. Walked the halls 24 hrs later and went home two days later in the am. Its not really safe to leave that soon after a major surgery like that.  :(
    Loving life's blessings!
    imageimageimageimage
  • I highly doubt that they would let you leave on Saturday.  Your body needs time to heal and they have to make sure everything is functioning properly before they send you home.  
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Visit The Nest!
  • I delivered 1pm Monday, and they told me I could go home Wednesday but we were having our LO circumsized and that didn't happen until Wednesday afternoon so we stayed until Thursday morning, and I really could have even stayed longer. This is coming from a person who HATES doctors AND hospitals. 

I would stay as long as you possibly can. It's surgery and it doesn't feel good. 

\image  image

• I am scheduled for a Thursday at 11:30am and they said I would go home Sunday or Monday depending on how I felt.

I highly doubt they would release you on Saturday.

| <a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Tracker</a>[url=http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/43ff7d]
    [img]http://www.fertilityfriend.com/ticker/43ff7d/ttc.png[/img]
    [/
    RA with Sjogren's Syndrome. Risk of heart block in newborn. Age: DH and I are both 38.
    BFP #1: 11/25/2007, EDD 7/28/2008 - Missed m/c (blighted ovum) 12/6/2007 6w3d, D&C 1/3/2008.
    BFP #2: 4/2008 - Natural m/c at 6w.
    Met with RE in 5/2008 full cycle analysis and SA normal. Not considered high risk for blood clots but prescribed 1 baby aspirin a day precautionary during TTC and Progesterone suppositories during 1st trimester of pregnancy.
    BFP #3: 10/17/2008. EDD 6/23/2009,  Third time's the charm! Healthy baby boy born 6/27/2009 via emergency c-section.
    BFP #4: 6/14/2011. Healthy baby boy born 2/16/2012 via elective c-section.
    BFP #5: 1/15/2014. EDD 9/22/2014. 
    2/17/14:.We have a BABY!!! Heart rate 167 and measuring on time. 3/10/14 u/s #2 baby measuring perfectly at 12 weeks at heart rate of 166. NT u/s was normal. Maternit21 blood draw on 3/5/14. Results back on 3/19 - Normal.  It's a BOY!!!  4/10/14 at 16 weeks, 3 days discovered baby's heart stopped at 15 weeks, 6 days. D&C 4/11/14.  Pathology results were all normal.  New information on 8/11/14 - blood test revealed 1/3 of babys blood was in mine caused, most likely, by a tear in the placenta from extreme coughing.  Doctor believes this to be the cause of death.  Repeat D&C and Hysteroscopy scheduled for 8/19/14.  My Chart

• There is no way my doctor would have released me that early. She was going to let me out on day 4, but Kate had jaundice and had to be under the bili lights so they let me stay another night knowing my insurance would pay for it. It would have been pushing it to ask to leave on day 3.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • With my last, I had a rsc on the 26th at noon and was home by noon on the 27th.  I don't think sitting around a hospital for days on end does anything to help with recovery.  I was at the gym on the eliptical within a week after the surgery and went for a liesurely jog 2 weeks to the day after my c-section, with dr.'s approval.
  • they will definitely not let you go home on Saturday!  I had my c-section on Fri morning at 9am and I wasn't released until Tues morning.  I was told I could leave "if I wanted to" on Monday....but there was no way I was leaving the hospital till they kicked me out.  It takes a lot of time to recover from this surgery - and every day you do feel a TON better than the previous one, however, it takes time.  Stay until they kick you out, seriously.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"