C-sections

Should I leave my wedding rings at home?

I know they usually have you take off all jewelry during surgery, does this include wedding rings?  With DD1 my fingers were too swollen at the end, so I wasn't wearing my rings.  I'd rather leave them at home than have to take them off in the hospital.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Should I leave my wedding rings at home?

• I left them at home. My fingers were sausages at the end of my pregnancy and for about two to three weeks afterwards. There was no way I could get my ring on even if I wanted to after surgery.
  • Probably. No need to have them when they make you remove all jewelry before surgery.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Every piece of jewelry I had had to come off for surgery, including rings.  At that point, I was wearing a cheap band since I was too swollen for my wedding rings, but I did have DH go ahead and take all jewelry home with him while I was in the hospital. (My water broke at work, so I had jewelry on when I got to the hospital.)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • By the end with ds2 I only wore my band and dh kept it for me while I had my c/s then I put it back on in recovery.
    BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I can't remember specifically but in all my pics I'm wearing my rings so I don't think they made me take them off.  I know I kept my contacts in.  I even had a ponytail holder in my hair which was ok but I took it out because it was hurting my head. 
  • I had dh hold on to them during the c/s and I put them back on in the recovery room.
    After many years and tears our baby boy is finally here
    Born 11-6-10

• I just left mine at home. Well, they didn't fit last time, so it wasn't an issue. This time they still fit so far, but I wouldn't take them anyway. Maybe if it was a smooth band or something but I didn't feel comfortable with mine around such fragile baby skin! I had enough problems with him scratching himself, I didn't want to add my rings to the mix. 
    photo newsig2_zps17ef14af.jpg
  • imagekatken232:
    I left them at home. My fingers were sausages at the end of my pregnancy and for about two to three weeks afterwards. There was no way I could get my ring on even if I wanted to after surgery.

This.   

• I left mine at home.  I was able to wear my rings with both pregnancies until the bitter end but as soon as I get hooked up to IV fluids my fingers swell instantly.  I didn't want to have to worry about them if I took them off at the hospital. 
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I was able to wear them until the end but I took everything off (rings, earrings, necklace and bracelet) and my parents took them back to our apt when they picked up our oldest son from the hospital. The nurse said I either removed everything or they would tape it all down. I didn't know if my hands would swell after surgery so off it all came. Better safe than sorry. If I hadn't gone into labor in the middle of the night and had made it to my scheduled date I probably would have left them at home.
                                                 Rainbow - Married - 5/31/03
                                               Christian Alexander - 11/13/06
                                        Amelia Rose & Owen Thomas - 3/29/11

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie - (eGB2)
    Be The Match - and help save a life by signing up for the National Marrow Donor Program.
  • The let me wear my small wedding band during the surgery, but I left my big engagement ring at home. One of the nurses told me that she has had to cut people's rings off before because of swelling. 
    Married 07.07.07. Mom to 3: Ruby 11/08 and Oliver & Austin 12/11
  • I can't think of any good reason to bring your rings.
    the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
  • I left my rings at home with both kids.   DS1 was a vaginal birth and DS2 was an emergency c-section.   The only jewelry I wore into the hospital both times was a cheap pair of hoops.   I didn't want to worry about losing my rings.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I left mine at home last time and I'm so glad I did! After all the fluid they gave me there was no way my rings would fit and they didn't for a few weeks after.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • I was able to wear my rings (and earrings) during my surgery - no one had me take anything off.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"