D.C. Area Babies
Options

Want to help each other put ourselves first?

After my first year of motherhood, I realized that I have been really bad at putting myself first (although I will give DH credit and say that he puts me first a lot). So I made a New Year's resolution to do a few things for myself.

I get the sense that a lot of us on this board need accountability to treat ourselves (which is funny because I've participated in many accountability posts about denying myself, i.e. Weight Watchers).

So, should we have a weekly check-in about how we are pampering ourselves so that we can be the best moms, wives, friends and employees that we can?

I'll go first with my "putting me first" goals:

1) Go out for lunch with another adult three times a month - one time with either a business contact or friend; another time with a co-worker; the third time with DH (without LO).

2) Maintain my hair cut and color

3) Get a massage or mani-pedi at least once every two months. 

4) Spend at least 2 hours a week quilting/sewing (with a subgoal of making a piece of clothing)

When I write them out like this they don't look nearly as decadent as I thought.

What are your "putting me first" goals?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Want to help each other put ourselves first?

• Options
    Mine are to volunteer at least 4 times this year, and to be more creative.  I'm specifically thinking that I want to get into some drawing... but, sewing, crafting, etc also counts.
  • Options
    I don't know that I have specific goals in this area. The one thing I wish I could get back to is yoga. I used to take a class on weekday evenings, but now it's basically impossible for me to do that, because DH doesn't get home until after the class has started, and I definitely can't take the kid with me to class. Weekend classes don't work, because something else always comes up. I hope to get back to it someday, but probably not very soon.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

What a great idea! Hmm, i don't even know where to start! isn't that sad ;-)

I feel like DH works as hard as I do so i always worry about taking time off when he so rarely does either. Maybe i'll focus on the haircut/eyebrows wax once a month first and go from there. That would make me happy! Weekly is something i have to work on. I'll discuss with DH what we both can do and get back to you.

All i know is that DH and I looked at each other this week and DH said to me, "How the HELL do we handle a second one?!". We obviously would love more than one, i'm no spring chicken so we should probably try sooner rather than later but hats off to all of you moms that juggle more than one. I'm not sure how you do it.

Back to the original thread idea, though - FAB idea, mssaint!!! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker CafeMom Tickers
  • Options

1. 30 minutes of every day set aside for me...reflection, relaxing, whatever. it's my time all alone (to accomplish this, i changed my work schedule)

2. monthly massage (have been doing this for 3 years now)

3. update my wardrobe. it's been way too many years to admit

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Here are my goals:

1. Running at least 4-5 days/week.

2. Get my hair done every other month.

3. Begin to update my wardrobe come summer b/c I have zero decent warm weather clothes.

• Options

I've become pretty good at speaking up when I just need to get out of the house but at that point, I've also started to get grumpy...

Mostly I wish that I had a little one-room cottage detached from the house where I could watch movies w/out interruption or draw or scrapbook or do whatever.  Sometimes I just want the house ALLLLLLLL to myself & that's hard to do.

Anyway, my goal is to schedule 4 outings this year:
    1. weekend or at least day trip alone with husband
    2. trip to longwood gardens (alone or with friends)
    3. wine tasting trip (with friends or w/ husband, sans kid)
    4. day trip alone.  can't decide where to go yet, but some places i just want to spend as much time as I please doing whatever I please w/out having to worry if someone is bored or if I'm going too slow (or, conversely, if the person i'm with is going too slow).

• Options

I need to start small:

1.  Jogging at least once a week - I'm doing the St. Patty's Day race, so I need to get back in to shape.  I consider jogging as part of my "alone" time, so this is kind of two birds, one stone.

2.  Brow wax once a month, pedi once every 2 months.

3.  Sewing/crafting/blogging at least 2 hours/week.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

1. Working out regularly - I was doing well at this but I have a horrendous cold right now and missed my weekend workouts which are usually my main stay.  DH has been really helpful and encouraging with this.  I am doing both the 30 day shred (not all in a row) and C25K (again I am repeating week one but at a much faster pace before moving on to week two)

2. DH and I need a fall getaway.  We are doing a big family vacation this spring so I think the fall would be a good time for an US weekend away.

3. Keep reading.  I think I have been distracted by my iPhone Embarrassed.  I read over 45 books last year and I loved it.  I just need to get my Kindle back out and do it.

4. Crochet/knit again.  This is great for me to multitask while DH and I watch TV.  Since having #2 I have really not done much of anything and DH is going to want to throw away all my yarn when we move if I don't start doing something with it.

5.  Go out with friends more.  Sometimes I think this should even be make more friends in this area.  I have one good friend that I made about 10 years ago and I like my current co workers but we live so far apart right now.  I need to go to more GTG's and a be a little more outgoing in general.

• Options
    I think I'm pretty good (probably a little too good) at spoiling myself, but I would be happy to be a cheerleader for all of you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"