Special Needs
Options

Custom SMO questions

DS2 has received a prescription to get custom SMOs. The case manager put in the consult today and we have our appointment at the brace shop tomorrow. I have to bring DS2 and they said the appointment should be around 45min.

Anyone have any experience and can tell me what to expect? Bonus if you have dealt with a brace shop on a military base.

Re: Custom SMO questions

• Options

We had custom AFO's made which seem pretty similar just different parts are braced neutral. 

We laid DS down on the table and they put lovely cotton gauze socks on him.  They then wrapped his legs from toes to mid calf in the similar material they use for casts (it's gauze soaked in plaster).  It takes about 5-10 minutes to set.  While it was setting they held his foot at a 90 degree angle to his leg.  This was the worst for us because of DS's hypertonia his heel cords were really tight (the reason we got them).  Then they use a pair of scissors and cut it off.  They then repeated it on the other side.   We had to go back a week later for a fitting at which point they put them on him and grinded back some of the length at the toes.

To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew
  • Options

Same experience as toastie but Nate was able to sit in his stroller.

Bring snacks, book or an ipad/itouch/phone to keep him occupied. It was relatively simple.

WAY 2 Cool 4 School

• Loading the player...
  • Options

P has custom SMO's but wasn't casted.  The orthotic/prosthetic dr took a ton of measurements, etc.  

I'm not sure what makes them do the casting vs  just taking measurements.

(I assume Peytons were custom, they had to be made..) 

DD1(4):VSD & PFO (Closed!), Prenatal stroke, Mild CP, Delayed pyloric opening/reflux, Brachycephaly & Plagiocephaly, Sacral lipoma, Tethered spinal cord, Compound heterozygous MTHFR, Neurogenic bladder, Urinary retention & dyssynergia, incomplete emptying, enlarged Bladder with Poor Muscle Tone, EDS-Type 3. Mito-Disorder has been mentioned

DD2(2.5): Late term premie due to PTL, low fluid & IUGR, Reflux, delayed visual maturation, compound heteroygous MTHFR, PFAPA, Bilateral kidney reflux, Transient hypogammaglobulinemia, EDS-Type 3

• Options
    Thanks ladies! Toastie - what you described is pretty much what happened this morning during our appointment. :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"