Stay at Home Moms

Talk to me about fevers and ear infections

Rowan went to the doctor yesterday for an unrelated issue but was dx'd with an ear infection while we were there.  At the doctor she had a 100.3 fever.  An hour later she was up to 102.6.  We were managing her fever with Tylenol during the day but then last night she reached 103.7.  We started doing Motrin/Tylenol at offsetting hours and it's helped to bring the fever down through the night.  

This morning her fever was around 101.6 but she's still lethargic and uncomfortable- not eating, pale, etc.  She did throw up this morning but she didn't eat last night and we were pumping her with the Motrin/Tylenol that I'm sure it was related to that and nothing else. She's had some Cheerios and crackers since and kept them down fine.

She's now down for a nap and her fever's remained around 101.6 with the meds.  Is this all related to the ear infection or do you suspect something more like a virus?   

Re: Talk to me about fevers and ear infections

• With my kids ear infections always mean a fever.  We had to take DD in last week because of a continuous high fever and of course she had a ear infection.  

Did you start her on antibiotics? Even though they need to take it for 10 days or so you should usually see improvement within a couple of days and if you don't that could mean she needs a different antibiotic.  DD's ear infections never go away with amoxicillin so we always have to do a different combo (it's something stronger). 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageToBeMrsT:

With my kids ear infections always mean a fever.  We had to take DD in last week because of a continuous high fever and of course she had a ear infection.  

Did you start her on antibiotics? Even though they need to take it for 10 days or so you should usually see improvement within a couple of days and if you don't that could mean she needs a different antibiotic.  DD's ear infections never go away with amoxicillin so we always have to do a different combo (it's something stronger). 

Oh yeah- forgot to mention that we started the antibiotic yesterday when we got back from the doctor.  She's had three doses.  Her antibiotic isn't amoxicillin but it's in that family.

• Loading the player...
  • I would say that her current antibiotic isn't working for the ear infection. I think the ear infection is causing the fever, but different infections respond to different antibiotics.

• I would call the doc.  DD had her first ever ear infection 2 weeks ago, she had a low fever and after about 3 doses of antibiotic she was feeling much better.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"