Babies on the Brain

What are your favorite house plants?

We don't have any in our current house because the light is terrible but when we move soon I'd like to get a few that are pretty low maintenance. So what do you recommend?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: What are your favorite house plants?

• I have a "lucky bamboo" that has done well. Sometimes I forget to change the water for over two weeks and it still is thriving!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I love my orchid and I really like spider plants.  However, if you've got bad lighting and need something low maintenance, hands down I LOVE the Zamioculcas Zamiifolia.  Sometimes just called the ZZ Plant.

It is awesome.

You can forget to water it, it can take poor lighting, and it looks cool.  I really love this plant every since I first encountered it when I was working at a garden center several years ago.  Love it!

• Loading the player...
  • I have ten or twelve different varieties in my house. Some of them are a PITA, but as far as low-maintenance plants, I love my spider plant (which I keep around for my cat to chew on, so she doesn't eat any of the poisonous ones), pothos ivy, jade plant, and shamrocks. 
    TTC with MFI, PCOS, and endometriosis since February 2010
    BFP January 20,2012, Loss confirmed January 22,2012
    March-August 2012: Various medicated/IUI cycles, all BFN
    Laparoscopy/Hysteroscopy October 2012: Fall Cleaning, Uterus Edition
    BFP 2-17-12 @12DPO Beta#1: 256 Beta#2: 1061
    EDD:10-27-13
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have an aloe plant. I'm horrible with plants and yet this thing keeps on growing. It's gotten so monstrous that I've given parts of it to friends and had to re-pot it several times now. 
    BFP#1=12/24/10 missed m/c @ 9w2d BFP#2=4/13/11 EDD 12/24/11 (coming full circle!)
    Ella born 12/21/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My silly little Rex Begonia is one of the only plants I've kept alive. I've had it for a few years now, so I'm weirdly attached to it. It needs no direct light, and I water it only when it's looking a little droopy (it doesn't like over-watering). 
  • Philodendron. They're hard to kill and they grow pretty quickly, which is satisfying. 

Basil is also a pretty easy to grow plant, and it smells good, even if you don't pick it to use. 
  • Oh and don't be daunted by orchids.

Depending on what kind you get, they are ridiculously easy.  I got a Just Add Ice orchid from DH & DD on my 1st Mother's Day ever.  It has never gone dormant yet and it is still blooming right now w/ a couple buds left to open.

I suspect it will go dormant after this strain, but I thought that a year ago when a new shoot with tons of buds cropped up.

They are Phalaenopsis orchids and they got it at Wal-Mart of all places.  Still kicking!  You just add 3 ice cubes once per week (or a 1/4 cup of water if you don't have ice).  That's pretty easy if you ask me.  I keep it in my kitchen window sill.

More info at:  https://justaddiceorchids.com/

• Thanks ladies. I bookmarked this and will be checking them out shortly!
  • Christmas cactus!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Spider plant! My mom gave me a baby from hers andive had mine for 2 years and it's still kicked and now growing babies of its own!
  • I had a bear paw house plant. They are really cute. Mine really thrived until my mom and brother and I moved. My mom threw it away :'( I was so sad. 
  • My apartment also has low light, and african violets flourish in all my windows.  Also crotons, golden pathos and christmas cactus all do great here.
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"