Austin Babies

So this happened...

If we're FB friends, you probably know that last week a Camaro with three 16yo boys was racing at 80 mph around the bend on my street, lost control, and went crashing into my front yard and through my tree. They're all okay. Miraculously. They were very, very lucky. And we were lucky that I'd taken the boys to the library right after school instead of straight home or else the timing could have been tragic.  I'm having nightmares about the possibilities.

Anyway, now I'm pissed. They're complete assholes that are lucky they didn't kill anyone. (One eyewitness was in front of the house 2 doors down.) That is the busiest time of day on my street for families to be walking along with little ones, pets, bicycles.  Ugh.  So I want to do something about it.  I'd like to write to the city or whatever I need to do to try to get stop signs and/or speed bumps and/or a painted center line down the middle of my street.  It's a really wide street with no stops down the entire stretch, and people are always speeding down it.  So my question is who do I write? What do I need to do? Do I need to collect signatures? I figured some of you guys might know. Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: So this happened...

• I don't know, but I just wanted to say HOLY CRAP and I hope that there were very serious repercussions for those kids. 80mph on a residential street??? They don't deserve to have licenses. WTF.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • What is your city or municipality?  I'm familiar with how Austin does this.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageFireChiefsBride:
    What is your city or municipality?  I'm familiar with how Austin does this.

It's Austin.

• i don't know what you do but it made me think of modern family where she petitions for a stop sign, sounds like you definitely need one! glad everyone is ok and hopefully they are replacing your tree for you- those boys should come over and apologize!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageRach03k:
    I don't know, but I just wanted to say HOLY CRAP and I hope that there were very serious repercussions for those kids. 80mph on a residential street??? They don't deserve to have licenses. WTF.

this. seriously, not cool.

i would guess that you would need to talk to a city councilperson to see what you need to do. probably some signatures. (i'm just going off what i saw on modern family when the mom wanted to get a stop sign added in her neighborhood.) 

• That is so crazy.  We could hear the sirens from our house when it happened.  I have no advice, but just wanted to say I'm glad you were all ok. 

Is there a neighborhood association you could contact?  They might have some ideas or know who to contact.

• imagechristym0606:

That is so crazy.  We could hear the sirens from our house when it happened.  I have no advice, but just wanted to say I'm glad you were all ok. 

Is there a neighborhood association you could contact?  They might have some ideas or know who to contact.

No HOA, which normally I like but would be helpful right about now.   Confused

• I would also write to your city council member.  We have a church in our neighborhood that plays really loud bass, and we've called the police countless times to get them to turn it down.  The police are really not interested in helping, and I got so frustrated with the booming all day on Sundays that I sent a letter to the mayor, every city council member, and the chief of police.  I got a response from my city council member's office, and they put me in touch with these "noise experts" at the city, who worked with the church to get them to turn it down.  It isn't completely gone, but it is generally lower and on for less time.  Obviously this isn't the same situation, but I feel that the city council people have been the most responsive in my quest to get this resolved.
  • https://www.austintexas.gov/department/local-area-traffic-management

They did a pretty quick review on my subd and got back with me with good info.

• Try this link. It's a cached page from the City website about speed humps (they've been switching to a new website, so some of their pages aren't working).
  • Yeah, I kept feeling like the a$$hole on your FB page by saying that these kids should get some kind of citation, SOMETHING, and no one else was saying that.  I feel for the boys, but in a way, I think they're the jerks who put lives at risk. 

I don't know about Austin stuff.  I just know that where I live, NB can't even do anything for me (I'd love speed humps on our street b/c cars race through here as well, jerks) b/c we're outside city limits and the county people I called kinda laughed at me.  

• my neighborhood (old enfield) has been dealing with 'traffic calming' with the city of austin for years and we still don't have it in place, so don't get your hopes up.  Every year, they select a couple of neighborhoods (typically those with the highest # of traffic accidents, or the most vocal/influential complainers) and they're selected to have a traffic calming study done.  The city puts up devices on the streets and collects detailed data (speed, number of cars, number of cars they determine are cutting through vs actually trying to get to their homes, etc).  they come up with a plan (speed bumps are hard to get because of emergency vehicles) and put it to a vote to all home owners in that neighborhood/street.  they must have a majority vote (no response = no) and even when it does pass, as it did in my neighborhood last year, they have years to actually implement it. 

but yes, start with your city council member.  that's who worked with our neighborhood to get the ball rolling several years ago.  

image  image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Let me rephrase this.  If you don't get an answer you are satisfied within a week, call me. (aka: send me a msg on FB)
  • imagejoyco:

Yeah, I kept feeling like the a$$hole on your FB page by saying that these kids should get some kind of citation, SOMETHING, and no one else was saying that.  I feel for the boys, but in a way, I think they're the jerks who put lives at risk. 

I wasn't saying it, but I was thinking it. I have zero-tolerance for people doing stupid sh!t in cars that could get themselves or other people killed.

FF: Good luck getting things going. I'm not sure if I'd count as in the neighborhood but I'd be happy to help anyway I can. 

• imageChicklit:
    imagejoyco:

Yeah, I kept feeling like the a$$hole on your FB page by saying that these kids should get some kind of citation, SOMETHING, and no one else was saying that.  I feel for the boys, but in a way, I think they're the jerks who put lives at risk. 

I wasn't saying it, but I was thinking it. I have zero-tolerance for people doing stupid sh!t in cars that could get themselves or other people killed.

FF: Good luck getting things going. I'm not sure if I'd count as in the neighborhood but I'd be happy to help anyway I can. 

Don't worry, Joyco.  I'm pretty sure almost everyone who posted was thinking the same thing. I didn't want to say anything until I was sure the boys were okay, but now that I know they are, I hope their license is revoked, they're forced to ride a bicycle until they're 21, and that when they do finally get another car that their insurance is through the rough.  What jerks.

• imageMrs.Purdue:

my neighborhood (old enfield) has been dealing with 'traffic calming' with the city of austin for years and we still don't have it in place, so don't get your hopes up.  Every year, they select a couple of neighborhoods (typically those with the highest # of traffic accidents, or the most vocal/influential complainers) and they're selected to have a traffic calming study done.  The city puts up devices on the streets and collects detailed data (speed, number of cars, number of cars they determine are cutting through vs actually trying to get to their homes, etc).  they come up with a plan (speed bumps are hard to get because of emergency vehicles) and put it to a vote to all home owners in that neighborhood/street.  they must have a majority vote (no response = no) and even when it does pass, as it did in my neighborhood last year, they have years to actually implement it. 

but yes, start with your city council member.  that's who worked with our neighborhood to get the ball rolling several years ago.  

This just makes me sad.  Sad

But now that you've written, I have seen them collecting data like that in our neighborhood, actually on the street that connects to ours.  Ugh.

• I have no idea, but just wanted to say I'd do the exact same thing in your shoes.  That's terrifying.  And I'm sorry it has you shaken up - I would be, too.  Thank God you and your boys weren't home.  :(
    the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • i don't know who to contact, it seems like you've already gotten a few good leads.

you could always make your own speed bumps out of quikrete and yellow spray paint. :) just kidding...sort of.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagejml5q:

i don't know who to contact, it seems like you've already gotten a few good leads.

you could always make your own speed bumps out of quikrete and yellow spray paint. :) just kidding...sort of.

What an excellent idea.  There may be some midnight subterfuge in my near future...

• imageFeistyFille:
    imagejml5q:

i don't know who to contact, it seems like you've already gotten a few good leads.

What an excellent idea.  There may be some midnight subterfuge in my near future...

i can come help. i'll bring the wine. :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagejml5q:
    imageFeistyFille:
    imagejml5q:

i can come help. i'll bring the wine. :)

YesYesYes 

• imageFireChiefsBride:

https://www.austintexas.gov/department/local-area-traffic-management

They did a pretty quick review on my subd and got back with me with good info.

Thanks! This my reading material for tonight.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"