Breastfeeding
Options

Can I BF if I have a Cold?

I have a bad head cold and my ob told me to take mucinex dm. I'm 34wks prego but I've been told by ob to stay off my feet because of my cervix being thin, so I could go into labor at any time really. I'm affraid if I go into labor while I'm on mucinex that I won't be able to bf. But I also don't want to stop taking it because I want this cold to be gone before baby gets here.

Can I BF if I'm on Mucinex DM? Can I BF if I have a cold?

Re: Can I BF if I have a Cold?

• Options

Definetly BF if you are sick. Baby will get antibodies in the milk.

About the Mucinex, I'm not sure. I know any meds with pseudoephedrine(sp?) are safe for baby, but they tank your milk supply. I'd check with a LC.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    If you can take it while pregnant it is safe to take while nursing but as pp said,some of the cold type medicines can really affect supply.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Your milk won't come in for a few days after you give birth.  The colostrum is already in there.  I'd take it and get healthy before LO arrives.  Even if it isn't recommended during BF...it'll be out of your system by then anyway.

Feel better and good luck!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Like others have said - definitely nurse while you're sick! I've nursed with colds and with the stomach flu (got that one from DS who got it from daycare!). I generally don't take medicine and instead try to eat healthy and get sleep to get better faster - but that was how I was previous to BFing too. Just an idea if you are nervous about meds.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"