D.C. Area Babies
Options

Selecting flights based on LO's sleep schedule?

My parents are offering to use their FF miles to purchase a flight to MN for me and C to visit over Easter weekend.  The flight in the FF miles range they are offering departs at 6:30am, and the return flight arrives back to DC at 8:45 (then there's baggage claim, drive to SS, and then get C in to bed).  C's current wake up time is around 7:15am, and his current bedtime is 7:45pm.  Would I be setting myself and C up for a miserable trip, and probably more miserable readjustment when we return?   
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Selecting flights based on LO's sleep schedule?

• Options

I do usually try to select flights that jive with LO's sleep schedule. How far is the airport?

These are the only two available? The one on the way home wouldn't bother me as much since he will be on Minnesota time so he will still have a little while before meltdown occurs.

Off to the beach

DS 7/18/2010
    Handy 2.0 Due Early August

2011/2012 Races
    12/17/2011 Christmas Caper 10K
    2/11/2012 Have a Heart 5K
    3/17/2012 DC RNR Half Marathon
    4/22/2012 10M Parkway Classic
    10/28/2012 Marine Corps Marathon
  • Options

You know your child best and how he will react to being up earlier than normal/later than normal. DD has traveled the country (And world) with us and has always done better waking up earlier than normal (i.e. leaving the house at 4 am to catch an early flight). The absolute worst flight ever with her was a short flight scheduled during her afternoon nap time. She was exhausted by then and needed sleep but was too wound up to go to sleep. Second runner up was a flight that got us home about 11:45 p.m. and that was just too long a day for her. THe times you have seem like they won't extend his day too much, but just be prepared to be his clown and entertain him :)  Good luck!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ditto pp who said you know your child best.  I think with T, the flight times would be ROUGH because she'd have to be at least half awake way earlier than normal to get through the airport (and wouldn't fall back asleep on the plane), and then she'd be a crying mess on the return flight because she wouldn't really change time zones over a long weekend and being up that long past her bedtime would throw her off.  The biggest problem for us would be that T doesn't sleep on planes.  Does your DS?  If he would nap on both flights, you might not be in such a bad spot?
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    I choose flights that I think work best with M's schedule, and I'll even pay more for them. We had a pretty disasterous early morning flight once, because he was tired and cranky from waking up too early. But if the only flight option had less-than-ideal timing, I'd have to suck it up and deal with the cranky kid.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

Honestly, I'm to the point that picking flight times are such a crap shoot.

We picked time to correspond best with Sprout's sleeping schedule over xmas & BOTH flights (to & from) where delayed 4+ hours.  Needless to say, he was a hot mess on the plane until he just passed out from over-exhaustion about an hour in.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"