High-Risk Pregnancy

Amnio experiences?

Has anyone had an amnio?  I am currently 34 weeks and will be having one in the next 2 weeks to check lung maturity. 

I have read a little about the risks and am really nervous about it. 

Any info would be helpful.

Thanks

Re: Amnio experiences?

• I had one at 18 weeks. It was nothing at all like I expected! It didn't hurt. It was very uncomfortable and felt like a huge cramp. It was over very quickly. My husband wasn't in the room because he has a huge needle phobia and was making ME nervous! The genetic counselor held my hand. The MFM did the amnio and an OB did the ultrasound at the same time. Good luck!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had one failed attempt at an amnio and one very successful amnio.

The failed attempt was due to my fainting twice while they were prepping me, due to physiological reasons (blood vessels constricted due to length of time lying down flat on my back) and the doctor doing the amnio decided that two tries was enough. 

The successful attempt was with my usual doctor. She let me lie with a pillow under one hip and did the amnio first, before my normal ultrasound screening. I did not get faint at all and it took less than 3 minutes all told including the prep work. I had a feeling like a little pinch where the needle went in, and then sort of a muscle fatigue (not like a cramp, nothing that severe) while they drew the fluid, and then was fine. I went out to lunch with hubby and worked the rest of the day, no cramps, no pain, no discharge, no nothing. 

I am super scared of needles, kept my eyes closed through the whole procedure and my husband held my hand, but in retrospect none of that was necessary. 

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks ladies!

That does ease my mind a little.  I was thinking more pain would be involved. 

• Mine didn't hurt. I was fine during and after. The doctor described it to me as the "hitting your funny bone" feeling when the needle hits the uterus, and that is exactly what it felt like.  The risks are higher earlier in your pregnancy. 
  • It wasn't that bad.

You feel a little pinch and then a little cramp and that's it. No pain for me. It lasted a little longer than I expected and I didn't watch the needle or ultrasound during the amnio. Just kept my eyes shut.

Recovery was fine too.

Good luck! 

• Had one at 20wks with DS..Almost totally painless ( big surprise!)..Had some mild cramping afterwards but that was about it. I have to do the same thing again at 35-36wks and it is the least stressful part of this pregnancy..Try not to worry and if you are squeamish about needles DON'T LOOK because it is a big needle..
    Born 27wks 3 day 2 lbs 10 oz 15 inches image My BFP chart BabyName Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"