Late Term and Child Loss

3 months and terrified to try again.

This weekend was 3 months since our loss. We had had a lot of fertility issues, which we thought were the result of my crappy eggs (thought to be responsible for my first 2 early losses), but now I've had 2 losses with donor eggs (an ectopic and Samantha). The doctors checked me out and said there's no reason I shouldn't try again - they can't find anything really wrong with my uterus. Of course they also don't know why I developed a huge SCH with Samantha, which caused a lot of bleeding and led to PTL (she was perfect). It scares me that it could happen again.

So I'm getting ready to cycle again in a couple of months. But I am scared out of my mind. Then I think that I must be crazy for trying this again - why am I setting myself and DH up for more heartbreak? I really want to carry a baby and this will be our last chance. So I do want to do it - but I'm also petrified. I'm having a lot of anxiety and it's still months away.

Am I crazy/selfish/delusional to be trying this again? How do I handle the fear? 

Dx: High FSH, stage IV endo, homozygous C677T MTHFR and PAI-1
Early loss 10/08
Lap 1/09
IVF #1 "natural IVF" - 1 egg retrieved, missed m/c
Tried several mini-stim cycles with no response
Switched clinics - dx'd as carrier for Fragile X
IVF #2 MDL protocol Jan/Feb converted to IUI, BFN
IVF #2 take 2: Antagonist, one embie, BFN
IVF #3: Antagonist, no fertilization
One last ditch effort at OE IVF (antagonist with Clomid) cancelled
DE cycle #1 Jan/Feb 2011, BFP, ectopic
DE cycle #2 June/July 2011 - BFP
10/28/11 Baby girl lost at 17 weeks due to pre-term labor. We love and miss you.
DE cycle #3 June/July 2012 - BFP, twins, both heartbeats stopped, D&C
2 frosties but don't know what's next
FET Dec 2012: BFP! Praying this one sticks for the long haul!

Re: 3 months and terrified to try again.

• I wish I had some advice sweetie but I don't. Have to deal with IF and loss makes things so hard. I remember the doctor was so upset when we were leaving the hospital becaue he said, usually I tell parents, I am so sorry but try again in a couple of months and we will see you back here very soon but I know it not that easy for you guys.  He said, I hope you find the strength and courage to try IVF again and I promise we will do everything we can if you are lucky enough to get pregnant again to get you a baby that you will get to take home.

It has taken me 11 months to be even ready to try and again and honestly every moment I am scared.  Scared I will never get pregnant again and terrified if I do it will just be taken away again.  The only way I handle is leaning on friends and family as much a can and just take it one day at a time.  I can no longer let myself look into the future.

It is just so sad that the joy of getting pregnant and being pregnant have been ripped away from us because of IF and loss.  I just pray in the end we will have babies at home and that might lessen some of the pain.

TTC since 07/2009
    Me: PCOS, Blood/Immune Issues DH: Low all 3
    Jun.- Sep. 2010 IUI#1-#3 = BFN
    Oct. 2010 = IVF #1 = B/G Twins (passed away Feb. 2011)
    May 2011 = Myomectomy and trans-abdominal cerclage (TAC)
    Sep. 2011 = Surprise BFP = C/P
    Feb. 2012 = sFET #1 = BFN
    Feb.2012 = Hail Mary IUI #4 = BFN
    April/May 2012 = FET #2 w/our last two embies = BFP (Please let this be it!)
    Beta #1 8dp5/6dt = 234 Beta #2 10dp5/6dt = 695 Beta #3 12dp5/6dt = 1796 Beta #4 17dp5/6dt = 17,888 U/S #1 May 17, 2012 = Twins
    Baby B's heart stop beating at 9 weeks 5 days
    Our little miracle baby is a boy. :)

Baby Boy Owen and Baby Girl Avery were born too early on Feb. 13, 2011 due to a pedunculated fibroid, incompetent cervix and suspected placental abruption.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

"What the heart has once owned and had, it shall never lose." - Henry Ward Beecher
    SAIF/PAIF Welcome
    Lots of love and luck to my PAIF/3T/IF Veteran ladies, especially my dear friend Zookie. Congrats to Papps, Teach84 and Starbuck on their little ones.
  • If you aren't ready yet, wait. The TTCAL mantra is "you know you are ready when the desire to have a baby outweighs the fear of another loss." We were ready at 4 months, and after we got the okay, we started trying. I was terrified I would have another late loss, but I wanted to be a mom to a living baby. When the test came up "pregnant" my first thought was "are we seriously risking this again?" As we all know, we don't have a free pass now that we've had a late loss and it could happen again, but you have to remember that a loss isn't contagious.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Loading the player...
  • Hang in there sweetie. Trying again is terrible and the only thing that makes it easier is taking it one day at a time.  I had IF then a loss (due to most likely a SCH) and then two more failed IVF attempts before finally getting pg again.  I am 23 weeks 3 days with a singleton and so far, all looks good.  No bleeding, no SCH's.  Nothing out of the ordinary. 

I am very scared, so scared that I haven't even told my family (only my parents) the news yet, but time has helped a little.  Getting close to that 24 week mark is helping too.

The subsequet IVFs sucked, and your nerves are so shot but in the end, if you want a baby to take home, IVF is the answer (at least for us IFs!). 

Once you get pg., it's hard but you can do it.  Just one day at a time.  Do not look to the future...just tkae it one day.  I don't even know my due date yet since I can't look that far into the future.  Do what you need to do to feel comfortable. 

We're here to support you through it.  Good luck!! I'll be thinking of you. 

TTC Since 10/08 4 IUIs=BFNx4
    IVF#1=BFP!! Twins!!
    Bradley and Billy born and lost on 2/2/11 at 19w2d due to pPROM/PTL. I miss you, little angels.
    IVF#2=BFN
    IVF#3=c/p IVF#4=Empty Follicle Syndrome; 1 mature, fertilized, & made it to blast. 5dt of "the lone ranger" on 9/6. Please stick, little one! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Sending hugs your way.

Jenn

image 3 IUI's all BFN

IVF#1 BFN IVF#2 BFP, loss at 19 weeks FET#1 BFN IVF#3 BFP, m/c FET#2 BFN

Missing our twins Zachary and Madison, lost at 19 weeks on 11/13/09, edd 4/9/10

BFP 7/17/10, m/c 7/25/10, edd 3/25/11

Ectopic, lost left tube 4/20/11, edd 12/6/11

my blog

• imagemagdalina.h:
    If you aren't ready yet, wait. The TTCAL mantra is "you know you are ready when the desire to have a baby outweighs the fear of another loss."

I'll echo this. We ended up having a miscarriage with our pregnancy following our late loss (never had one before), and while you're never 100% prepared for any of this, you have to be ready enough that it won't break you beyond all points of return.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    ? to Loss+M/PL+TTCAL+PgAL+PAL

PgAL/PAL welcome
  • I am looking for this answer too. I'm terrified! We are talking about trying next month and honestly I change my mind every hour. I'm scared I won't get pregnant again, then scared that I will & won't be able to handle the anxiety.

I think it will be impossible to not be scared, no matter how long I wait. I think the bottom line is that I still want a baby. I doubt that will make it any easier once (if) I do get pregnant though. I am trying to focus on the plan we have in place for the next pregnancy. I noticed you lost Samantha due to PTL- I lost Nathaniel due to PTL too. It may help to have a solid plan in place with your Dr. I'm going to have a cerclage & P17 shots. I know that's no guarantee but at least it's something concrete that's being done to prevent the same type of loss.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"