Military Families

Air Force Paternity Leave

I know paternity leave is not guaranteed, but they can give you up to 12 days. Does anyone know if it is chargeable or non-chargeable? I thought it wasn't, but my husband's supervisor told him it was. Thanks!

Re: Air Force Paternity Leave

• It's 10 days, non-chargeable.
  • imageThe_Spanish_Inquisition:
    It's 10 days, non-chargeable.

This 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • 10 days non-chargeable. Must use within one year. Now, depending on the command/sup it may or may not include weekends. Some count weekends in those 10 days and some do not.
    30 Rock Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Yup, yup and yup
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageRelativeChaos00:

That is addressed to reservists.  While the guidance may be the same, an active duty office looking for a reliable source will not use that.

AFI 36-3003. Table 7, Rule 48.  (Table 7 is for permissive TDY, which is not chargable leave.)  Paternity Leave: Unit commanders may approve up to 10 days. 

(1) Authorized for married members of
    the Air Force on active duty whose wife
    gives birth to a child. (2) Must be taken
    over consecutive days and no later than
    one year following the birth (for
    extensions to this period submit requests
    for review and approval to wing
    commander or equivalent). (3) May be
    used in conjunction with ordinary leave.

Some commanders are really lenient and throw in the weekends without charging the Airman, but that's not how the AFI is worded because it says the days must be consecutive.

You and your husband were/are both active duty.  Neither of you thought to check the AFI?

Twin boys due 7/25/12
  • Ugh, I looked specifically for active duty, it pulled "Active Reserve."  -.-  My apologies! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageLemonLover33:
    10 days non-chargeable. Must use within one year. Now, depending on the command/sup it may or may not include weekends. Some count weekends in those 10 days and some do not.
    this is definitely the most important question to ask. For adoption, I got a certain amount of maternity leave that sounded great but they counted weekends so it ended up being 3wks only.
    33 yo, DH with MFI Iui x4, Dec 2009 to Jan2011 all BFN.... IVF May 2011 BFP, mc June 2011 at 6.5 weeks, FET Oct 2011 BFP! Sweet baby girl born 25 June 2012** started adoption process Feb 2010, approved Oct 2010, failed match in delivery rooms Feb & Aug 2011... Birthmom called back 3d after we returned home. Aug 26 2011, our sweet baby boy comes home for good!!
  • Did your base clinic hand out the AF's pregnancy book?  There is an entire page in there about active duty paternity leave.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker image
  • At DH's last command, they made him take the days consecutively.  Stinks.

Me – 33 (no diagnosis), DH – 41 (MFI)

IVF #1/ICSI 2008 – 22 ER, 21 F, Day 3 transfer (8A and 8B) - BFP, 3 Frosties

Surprise BFP 2010

Surprise BFP 2011

Shipped frosties from TX to VA in 2012

FET #1 May 2013, single blast – BFN

FET #2 August 2013 2 blasts – BFN

IVF #2/ICSI/AH Jan 2014 – 8 ER, 7M, 6 F Day 3 transfer (grade 2 & 3), no frosties - BFP!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"