C-sections

How early do doctors schedule c sections

I just found out i will most likely need a c section this time around. I have symphysis pubis dysfunction and the risks of natural birth seem not worth it. Anyway when i had DS1 my water broke at 38w6days well some people say they dont schedule c sections till 39 weeks. That doesn't sound soon enough for me, especially since this will be my second baby. 

So how far were you when the doctor scheduled your c section? 

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How early do doctors schedule c sections

• I am an OB nurse and the recommendations is to not schedule Csections until 39 weeks.  Studies show that babies born at 39 weeks do much better than if they were born even a week earlier.  Not to say that if you baby is born at 38 weeks they won't do just fine, but that is the newest protocol.  Unless there is a medical reason to do one earlier, then 39 weeks is the time to be scheduled.
  • Yea, most doctors schedule at 39 weeks.  That is when mine was scheduled for DS (he was breech).  I had him at 38 & 1 because contractions started and the little booger was still breech so they did the section at that time. 

PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

• Loading the player...
  • Most insurance and hospitals won't allow for c-sections to be scheduled prior to 39w unless there is a medical reason.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • 39 weeks is the recommended unless there is a medical necessity.  i'm having mine at exactly 38 weeks.  i got pg when DD was only 8 months old, and had a previous c-section.  the MFM and my OB were concerned about my scar, so they felt it was necessary.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had already talked to my Ob about this. She said we can pick the date and continue to post it note it to hold the date, but it technically wouldn't go on the schedule until about the week before it's actually "scheduled" for.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • 39 weeks like everyone is saying, BUT if you go into labor say 37 or 38 weeks they will go ahead and do a csection. That is what my dr has said.
  • My doctor won't do a repeat c/s until 39 weeks.
    After many years and tears our baby boy is finally here
    Born 11-6-10

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• My doc said she's not allowed to schedule them until 39 weeks...if I go into labor before then so be it, but she can't schedule before then.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • My OB scheduled mine for 37w0d, at 35w6d. That was due to a lot of issues with the pregnancy, including it being twins. However, I wound up having them at 36w0d.
    After 20 months TTC with PCOS, we were blessed with twins!
    They arrived at 36 weeks after PTL and bedrest for 14 weeks. Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    imageimage
  • imagem&m2006:
    39 weeks is the recommended unless there is a medical necessity.  i'm having mine at exactly 38 weeks.  i got pg when DD was only 8 months old, and had a previous c-section.  the MFM and my OB were concerned about my scar, so they felt it was necessary.
    Just curious, what's their reasoning? Is there something wrong with your scar? I got pg at 12 weeks pp and nobody has had a problem with it.
    photo newsig2_zps17ef14af.jpg
  • My OB wont schedule before 39 weeks unless it's absolutely necessary. Mine was at 39 weeks.
    image imageimage Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • 39 wks is the earliest my dr will do mine.
    Loving life's blessings!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    imageimageimageimage
  • imagemommytoconnor:
    I am an OB nurse and the recommendations is to not schedule Csections until 39 weeks.  Studies show that babies born at 39 weeks do much better than if they were born even a week earlier.  Not to say that if you baby is born at 38 weeks they won't do just fine, but that is the newest protocol.  Unless there is a medical reason to do one earlier, then 39 weeks is the time to be scheduled.

This is what I was told, as well.  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Visit The Nest!
  • 39 wks or later. We will be deciding on a date at my next appt. If I go into labor sooner then it becomes "medically" necessary and will be done then of course but until then, elective csections are 39 wks at my hospital. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Mine won't schedule until 39 weeks unless there are other health problems, such as pre-e. Even then they will wait as long as possible.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"