Preemies
Options

Weighted blankets...

I know this is not a preemie specific item, but I could not think which board this would fit on better.  I know a lot of preemies receive therapies, so I thought this would be a good place to start.

My twins have been getting PT and Speech therapy and have recently started OT due to rocking.  They rock a lot of the day and wake in the middle of the night to rock.  None of the therapists think they are autistic (rocking is a sign of autism, but they have really appropriate or better than appropriate social skills and interactions), but the rocking is keepig them from sleeping and causing pretty crabby babies!  On a good day they nap for an hour (but may be in their cribs from 2-3 hours), but most days they nap for 20 minutes.  The OT recommended a weighted blanket (and maybe vest or belt) to help with sensory input when they are sleeping.  We are also using the brush method and are working on other sensory input.  Anybody use any of these items?  Anybody have any luck?

With working, 6 hours of therapy is a lot to fit in and it is hard for DS#1 to watch and miss out on other things (going to the store, attention from me...)  I am getting to be a bit overwhelmed and am wondering if anybody had luck with these items - basically, I am just looking for any encouragement.  TIA!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Weighted blankets...

• Options

Welcome!

I'm certainly not an expert nor am I an OT, but I sure feel like one. I have some experience with the whole sensory thing, my LO is a major sensory seeker.  She "stims" (shakes her head side-to-side as if to say "no") since this is a vestibular input that she is seeking, we put her in a swing.

LO has a left side preference (reaching, eating, etc.) for which we brush to make her "feel" and use her right side.   Brushing has worked wonders, shortly after brushing she began combat crawling (using BOTH arms).

Since Isabella suffered a grade III brain bleed in her cerebellum (controls coordination, blanace and sensory processing) it's to no surprise that she would have sensory issues. 

Did your LOs have brain bleeds? Perhaps they rock to seek vestibular input? Maybe a swing will help?

We've also been told to try a weighted blanket/vest.  They are super expensive, and we already spent $200 for the swing. Hopefully we will be able to get one soon.

I totally understand how overwhelming therapy can get.  We have 4 therapist, 5 times a week(literally Mon-Fri).  Even though progress is often slow, we are seeing progress. 

Hugs!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageladybugbella24:

Welcome!

I'm certainly not an expert nor am I an OT, but I sure feel like one. I have some experience with the whole sensory thing, my LO is a major sensory seeker.  She "stims" (shakes her head side-to-side as if to say "no") since this is a vestibular input that she is seeking, we put her in a swing.

LO has a left side preference (reaching, eating, etc.) for which we brush to make her "feel" and use her right side.   Brushing has worked wonders, shortly after brushing she began combat crawling (using BOTH arms).

Since Isabella suffered a grade III brain bleed in her cerebellum (controls coordination, blanace and sensory processing) it's to no surprise that she would have sensory issues. 

Did your LOs have brain bleeds? Perhaps they rock to seek vestibular input? Maybe a swing will help?

We've also been told to try a weighted blanket/vest.  They are super expensive, and we already spent $200 for the swing. Hopefully we will be able to get one soon.

I totally understand how overwhelming therapy can get.  We have 4 therapist, 5 times a week(literally Mon-Fri).  Even though progress is often slow, we are seeing progress. 

Hugs!

Thank you for sharing your experiences.  The OT thinks the rocking is both vestibular and proprioceptive.  They were extremely late crawlers and one of them just took his first steps two days ago, so they are late walkers too.  The one that is walking had a grade I bleed, but it has not seemed to be a problem, because he does everything exactly like his twin brother, who did not have a bleed, but did have heart surgery at 10 weeks old for a heart defect.  They both have different histories, but are both still rocking and are reaching all the developmental milestones within weeks of each other.  Their cribs have no wheels and are on hard floor, and they rock so hard that we find them in different spots every morning. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageroyalcrown1:
    imageladybugbella24:

Welcome!

Hugs!

Thank you for sharing your experiences.  The OT thinks the rocking is both vestibular and proprioceptive.  They were extremely late crawlers and one of them just took his first steps two days ago, so they are late walkers too.  The one that is walking had a grade I bleed, but it has not seemed to be a problem, because he does everything exactly like his twin brother, who did not have a bleed, but did have heart surgery at 10 weeks old for a heart defect.  They both have different histories, but are both still rocking and are reaching all the developmental milestones within weeks of each other.  Their cribs have no wheels and are on hard floor, and they rock so hard that we find them in different spots every morning. 

Wow!  I don't know how well you know your way around a sewing machine but I've seen tutorials on youtube on how to make your own weighted blanket.  It's worth a shot! Good Luck!

• Options

I didn't use them with my preemie.  But, I taught 6th grade and our kiddos who had sensory issues were SO MUCH better with weighted blankets and vests. 

"The Out-Of-Sync Child" is an awesome book about sensory integration disorder.  If you have't read it, I'd recommend that too.  

Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options

I don't have experience with this particular issue, but you may want to check in with the special needs board.  The blanket sounds like it could be a huge help with sensory input though.

Also, katie4253, thanks for the book recommendation.  I suspect my son does have some sensory issues too, so I'm going to check it out!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"