Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Off Topic - MIL Issue

I found out that I had a miscarriage 12 days ago and had a D&C 11 days ago.  I have found a lot of comfort reading on this board over the last several days.  I have been loving distractions from thinking about the miscarriage lately, so I thought I would ask this question here to provide some of you a distraction for a few minutes.

So onto my MIL issue... My MIL stays the weekend at my house ALL the time (usually at least twice a month). She lives about 2 hours from us and since my BIL and his GF had a baby in June, she is in town constantly (I live in the same town as the BIL). She always stays at our house (even though she is here to see their baby), unless we specifically ask her to stay somewhere else for a particular weekend. I just noticed that she keeps 6 shower items (shampoo, body wash, etc) in my guest bathroom shower. Last time I cleaned the shower it was 4 items, so I guess she added a couple last time she stayed. It really annoys me that she is kind of "moving in" to my guest bathroom, and I would like to ask her to take her things home and just bring what she needs when she stays. Am I over-reacting? It is a guest bath that we rarely use, so it's not like the stuff is in the way all that much. What would you guys do? Ask her not to leave things, or just let it go?

Re: Off Topic - MIL Issue

• I always find MIL issues to be tricky. I am not confrontational by any means so I would most likely let it go. It all depends though. Is she the type of person to take things personally and get offended? If so, it might be better to just let it go- at least it's only the guest bathroom. If she starts leaving her mark throughout the house then I would probably speak up. Hope this helps!
    Married my best friend 8/05/11 BFP: 1/19/12 Natural M/C: 1/28/12 @ 6wks3d 3/12 Officially TTC
  • While annoying, it's not the end of the world.  I have crap of ours at my parents house that I leave there in the shower and we stay way less.  I'd let this one go and pick your battles. 

But yeah, I would b!tch about it first, too.  :)

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Hehe... it would annoy the sh!t out of me, but, like the other posters, I'd probably let it go. :)
    It was a rough road, but Arlo Daniel was born April 1, 2013—and our second rainbow is due October 12, 2014.
  • Is it that she's leaving stuff in the bathroom and perhaps not cleaning up after herself or that she's there all the time. If it is really the bathroom, then maybe you are overreacting. Perhaps you could have a basket that she keeps in the closet in the bedroom or underneath the sink or something. To note, this is what I do at my parent's house so I don't have to haul the specific toiletries I like on the plane and can do a carry-on.

If it is that leaving stuff is a symptom that she's just there too much, then perhaps you need to have a deeper talk with your DH. Has this all come up since the m/c? Maybe you just need more space/privacy now? Maybe she can split her time between your house and the BIL's house.

imageLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Maybe you can keep them in a drawer or basket under the sink for when she stays? It seems like it is more out of convenience since she stays there so often to keep some stuff there. It wouldn't be an issue for me but if it is for you I would def have your DH talk to her rather than you and hopefully there wont be any hard feelings.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP#1 on 02/14/09 BIRTH to Mason 6lb9oz on 10/12/09

BFP#2 on 5/28/11 EDD 2/1/12 Natural M/C on 6/13/11

BFP#3 on 1/20/12 EDD 9/30/12 Natural m/c on 1/27/12

BFP#4 on 4/23/12 BIRTH to Isabella 7lb1oz on 12/19/12

• I am sure I will end up letting it go, I just wanted to complain about it first.  If she starts leaving things anywhere else in the house, then I will definitely say something.
  • I agree with the others. I would get her a nice basket or a drawer. You could always say you wouldn't want other guests using her things.  But I could see how you wouldn't want it out and how shes sort of "moving in". It would annoy me, but I probably wouldn't say anything.

Just out of curiosity, many doesn't she stay with your BIL?  Feel free not to answer if it's none of my business.  

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Oh God, if I felt like my MIL was "moving in" via the bathroom I'd move to Africa. I think it depends on just how much you like her. If she's really pushy or you feel like she never leaves, just put it all under the sink and remind her of the difference between visiting and being there all the freaking time.
  • So I read this post on my phone and for some reason I can't post using my phone. I dragged out the laptop because I couldn't resist. MIL issues really get my blood going. If she were my MIL, the next time she visits and it's time for her to leave I would pop into the bathroom and bring her stuff back with me and say something like "Oh (whatever her name is) I noticed you left some stuff the last time you stayed with us. I wouldn't want you to forget it." Is it a bit passive aggressive? Sure, but maybe it would get her stop taking over your guest bathroom. First it's shampoo and conditioner. Next it's...omg...clothes in the closet! ARGH!

Okay, that was fun. But seriously, that's what I would do.

BTW, I'm glad you've found some comfort from this board.

As long as I live, you will be loved. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers PGAL/PAL welcome.
  • Ah, MILs!  They are impossible, aren't they?  I have an ongoing passive-aggressive battle with my mother-in-law on a subject almost the exact reverse from your situation.  Every time we visit her, she insists that I fully unpack my bags (I prefer to keep everything in one central location when I travel).  If I don't do it, she will literally go into the guest room, unpack my bags, hang up all of my clothes and put my toiletries in the bathroom.  It's crazy making.  Last trip, I brought locking-luggage.  HA!  Then she responded by taking a pile of hangers and setting them on top of my bag.  And another pile of hangers on the bed.  GAAH!  My DH tells me she's just trying to be hospitable.  But come on, WHO DOES THAT?

While completely different from your situation, perhaps it'll give you a chuckle!   

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"