February 2012 Moms

Questions to ask doctor(s) before induction

I'm scheduled to be induced at 39 weeks due to GD and I have my final appointment (unless there are complications or my blood sugar numbers go bonkers) tomorrow with my MFM then with my Ob.  What questions should I be prepared to ask?  This is what I have so far:

- Can I eat that morning?  If so, do I follow GD diet? 

- Will I be on glucose or insulin drip during labor/delivery?

- Do I continue to test as usual during labor/delivery?

- Do I test my sugars after delivery and if so when/for how long, etc.

- Can I get the whooping cough vaccine at the hospital?  DH? 

- What entrance do I use (the one I usually go in opens at 5am and that's what time I'm supposed to be there but not sure if I go in there or not?  And where to park is included in this as well).

What other questions would you ask or would you think is important?  Thanks so much!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Questions to ask doctor(s) before induction

• I am also being induced for GD. Have you already discussed the type of induction with them? If not, that's what I'd ask about. I don't know about your cervix but mine is 0cm dilated so my questions would also focus on that since I've heard pitocin with an unfavorable cervix is a recipe for a c/s.

-Will you take steps to get my cervix more favorable before starting full induction (ex. cervadil the night before pitocin)?

-What would be the plan if the cervix-ripeners fail? Would I have the option to postpone the induction and attempt other cervix ripening techinques.

-Is there a timeframe in which you consider the induction to be a "failed" induction? What steps do you take then?

DD #1: 2012; MMC: 2014; DD #2: 2015; It's a boy! 3/31/2018

• At my internal last week I was 1 cm dilated and 50% effaced, so I think that means I'm favorable since I have some progress, but I'm adding it to the list!  And I don't need to be in until 5am so I don't think cervadil is in the cards for me but adding it too thanks!
  • Loading the player...
  • Do you have questions about the actual induction?

-Will they start ripening your cervix using a foley bulb or cervadil before pitocin?

-What are your pain med options at what points during dilation?

-Will they/when will they break your water?

-When do they start considering c-section and is there anything you can personally do to avoid it?

I was induced with DD and am considering if for this one, so these are some things I've learned to ask from my first experience.  GL!!! 

• Ooh good for you! Since you're somewhat dilated I would also ask their thoughts on sweeping your membranes at least a few days in advance of the induction to see if that could get things kickstarted! GL

• imagemintea:
    Ooh good for you! Since you're somewhat dilated I would also ask their thoughts on sweeping your membranes at least a few days in advance of the induction to see if that could get things kickstarted! GL

She said she will be willing to sweep my membranes at tomorrow's appointment if she can reach them since I've been having so many contractions already.  I'm HOPING I have more dilation, even if it's a 1/2 cm I hope I have some more progress.  I feel like I'm having more pressure than last week so I hope that's a good thing.

• imagemintea:
    Ooh good for you! Since you're somewhat dilated I would also ask their thoughts on sweeping your membranes at least a few days in advance of the induction to see if that could get things kickstarted! GL

Yes, and I would ask if they would consider a ripening technique, too, even though you're already progressing slightly.  I'm 2cm and 75% and my OB is still saying she wants me to come in the night before. 

• Thanks for the replies, keep them coming so I know what to ask lol.  With my son (#1) my water broke at home and we went in (I was GBS + but I am not this time) and they had to give me pitocin because I had zero progress and 19 hours later I delivered, so the doctor mentioned the rule of thumb with second labors being about half the time of the first, and while that's not a science or anything, I'm just curious if me having any dilation will have any affect on her opinion in that regard - just to satisfy my curiosity.
  • imagechristinak22:

imagemintea:

Yes, and I would ask if they would consider a ripening technique, too, even though you're already progressing slightly.  I'm 2cm and 75% and my OB is still saying she wants me to come in the night before. 

not trying to hijack your thread, but quick ? for you mintea; I'm in the exact same position as you; what are they doing to "ripen" you? I'm 2cm and 70% effaced, although I still have over a week til the induction. TIA.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers
  • For me they're going to try cervadil first for about 12 hours

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"