Breastfeeding
Options

How much time does it take to pump?

I have heard that it takes FOREVER to pump.  Is this true?  How long does it take to pump?  I am looking at the Ameda purely yours and the Lansinoh double electric for cost reasons and the fact that they are both closed systems. 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How much time does it take to pump?

• Options
    Medela PISA. 20 minutes
  • Options

I got  a single electric, Evenflo, 20 min and I get 3-4oz... 

In the morning you have more so you can pump shorter or pump the same and get a little more....  for a lot of people its the same in the evening too. 

image  image  image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My Lansinoh takes me about 15 minutes tops.  When using the Medela Symphony it took me about 25.
  • Options
    I have a pump that only does one side at a time..so 30-35 minutes total
    Photobucket Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I have a Medela PISA and I pump for 15 mins per session.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Well now I feel slow! At work I pump for 30 minutes and then quit no matter what (as long as I'm not in the middle of a let down). At home I pump about 30-40 minutes. I get 3-4 let downs during that time and typically fill about 5-7 ounces (each).
  • Options
    I think it depends on the person more than the pump. I have a medela freestyle and get 5-6oz in 5 mins, but I have oversupply issues and a fast let down. You also have to factor in time to wash or wipe off pump parts and store your milk- the whole process takes 15-20mins for me.
    BFP#1 9/14/10 (EDD 5/21/11); no fetal pole 6w6d, 7w4d, d&c 10/8
    BFP#2 3/16/11, beta 138; 4/12 Baby/HB DS born 9/10/11 at 29w4d due to partial abruption and PTL
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BFP#3 8/19/13 Another boy! 17P, modified bedrest and Nifedipine helped us have a termie! DS2 born 4/19/14 at 38w5d.
  • Options

imagehaziedaze:
    I think it depends on the person more than the pump. I have a medela freestyle and get 5-6oz in 5 mins, but I have oversupply issues and a fast let down. You also have to factor in time to wash or wipe off pump parts and store your milk- the whole process takes 15-20mins for me.

It takes me about 10 minutes, but I could go longer. I only pump so I have enough for a bottle at night. (2-4 oz)  

• Options
    Wow, I don't ever pump for as long as a lot of these ladies.  I have the Ameda Purely Yours and I pump for 10-12 minutes.  At work, I can pump, clean, store the milk and be back to my desk in less than 20 minutes.  I pump twice a day at work and I get 8-10 ounces each time.
    Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imagejholbel:
    Wow, I don't ever pump for as long as a lot of these ladies.  I have the Ameda Purely Yours and I pump for 10-12 minutes.  At work, I can pump, clean, store the milk and be back to my desk in less than 20 minutes.  I pump twice a day at work and I get 8-10 ounces each time.

i'm jealous! i have the ameda purely yours as well, but i have a really hard time getting an initial letdown. i'll give myself 30 minutes for set-up, pump and breakdown. if i can get a letdown, i get 4-5 oz total. if i can't, only 2 oz (1 each side).

training your body to get a letdown will be the most effective thing. if anyone figures out a surefire way, let me know! 

• Options

I have the Ameda Purely Yours. I take three breaks a work day, each about 20 minutes, but a lot of that is set-up and clean-up. I actually timed my morning and lunch sessions today and found I really only spend around five minutes actually hooked up to the pump (4.5 in the a.m., 6 in the p.m.).

Letdown takes about a minute for me, then I get about two oz. on each side (more in the a.m.), and the flow dries up pretty fast. I try to get that second letdown, but haven't been able to yet. Maybe I don't wait long enough, since my first letdown is so fast? I do know that there's a litte left after the flow stops completely, because I usually hand-express it to make sure my supply doesn't decide it's not wanted and go down...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have the Ameda Purely Yours and it takes me 15 minutes at the single most.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"