Special Needs
Options

How do you get your child to take their medicine?

I need any help/advise/special tricks I can get.

DS is PPD-NOS. I cannot get him to take any medicine. And I'm just talking about Tylenol/antibiotics for his sinus infection right now. The poor little guy is miserable, so that doesn't help. I have tried reasoning, bribing, hiding it in food - NOTHING works. I am met with complete and utter meltdowns if I even mention taking his medicine or if he thinks I am trying to trick him into taking it. Please help.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How do you get your child to take their medicine?

• Options
    I hide liquid medicine in fruit smoothies or those danimals yogurt drinks.
  • Options
    I'm glad you posted this. No help here because we have the same problem. Last night DS was feverish and I was able to get him to take maybe 1/4 of the dose of tylenol he needed. I'd love to hear from others.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Auntie, how old was he when you switched him to pills?
  • Options
    Moved on to chewables and crushed pills hidden in chocolate milk or ice cream. Some antibiotics are available as chewables as are most over the counter meds.  My DS disliked the after taste of the meds and being forced to take them, due to an undiagnosed speech delay I was unable to get him to understand that he "had" to take them.  We never have an issue with chewables since he puts them in his mouth himself, they generally don't' smell bad and don't have much of an after taste.  

Thomas ~ 07/07/2008 ~ 8 lbs, 5 oz

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

What's in my camera bag: Nikon D5000, Kit Lens 18-55mm, 55-200mm, 35mm 1.8G, 50mm 1.8G, 85mm 1.8G, Tamron 28-75mm, SB 600 Speedlight

Global Developmental Delay consisting of a receptive language delay and self help skills delay

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"