D.C. Area Babies

PPD

I need some advice, my SIL is suffering from the baby blues.  She had a baby about a month ago, but I think it goes beyond it.  I am pretty sure you can take meds while nursing, but I just wanted to ask and make sure before I next talk to her.  She is really worried about taking care of herself and continuing to feed her son. 

Re: PPD

• She should talk to her OB. There are anti-depressants for nursing moms. She's lucky to have you looking out for her!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Yes, there are meds you can take while nursing. Definitely encourage her to talk to someone. I wish I had spoken to someone when I had PPD b/c it would have made those first 6 months so much better than just sitting at home dreading life with babies.
  • Loading the player...
  • I took Zoloft the entire time I nursed my son.  I had talked to my OB and my pedi about it prior to having my son, because not only have I struggled with anxiety for years, there is a strong history of PPD in my family.  Please encourage her to go talk to her OB. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Zoloft is generally accepted as safe for nursing moms. 
  • You can absolutely take meds while nursing. I did.  I was on Zoloft and then Celexa.  Perfectly safe. I know moms who take much stronger meds (like Klonopin) and still nurse.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thank you ladies.  Her OB, for lack of being able to publish a stronger term, was a jerk and dismissed her outright.  On Friday she went and saw her PCP and she was incredibly sympathetic.  She's meeting with a therapist this week and her PCP gave her xanax and zoloft prescriptions.      
  • imageHey Jellisy:
    Thank you ladies.  Her OB, for lack of being able to publish a stronger term, was a jerk and dismissed her outright.  On Friday she went and saw her PCP and she was incredibly sympathetic.  She's meeting with a therapist this week and her PCP gave her xanax and zoloft prescriptions.      

Ugh. This infuriates me. When I was going through this, if my OB had been a jerk, I would have been devastated and it would have been a huge setback. Luckily, she was amazing and spent probably 30 minutes with me just talking to me about how I was feeling and offering sympathy, advice and prescriptions.  It makes me mad that not every OB is like that when PPD is so common.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"