Pregnant after 35
Options

I missed the Dr. Oz Ama show...

Did anyone get a chance to watch it? What did you think about it?

Re: I missed the Dr. Oz Ama show...

• Options

I didn't see it but it might be online soon, if not already.  I did find some interesting info about it on his website though.

Check it out.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I watched it. It really focused on women over 40 who aren't pg. They talked about fertility treatments etc. There was this one woman on the show who said if a woman is pg at 40 or more than most likely she conceived with donor eggs. I think this is a bunch of crap and there are so many women who used their own eggs( like me and I am 40).

They also went through stats that 97% of your eggs are used by age of 40. Also, that your chances to conceive each month are only 5%, at 30 it is 20%. The whole show was pretty dismal as far as being able to conceive after 40.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    The "experts" he had on the show were less-than-impressive.  I think the stats were fine and probably accurate, but the spin put on it was mostly negative, and the one RE they had on there wasn't able to hold his own very well. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

After watching this show I felt like I should have played the lottery.  Against all the dismal odds presented on the show my old dusty eggs produced a healthy baby. 

The show discussed cultural bias against older moms.  They had the doom and gloom doctor, RE, and the regular OB/GYN that on the show. As PP stated doom&gloom said most women 40 and over conceive with donor eggs.  She express her dislike of the commoditization of the donor egg/sperm market.  RE guy just presented cost of various fertility treatments. So basically the show summary is get knocked up when your too young dumb and poor to take of a baby.

• Options

I didn't watch but I heard it was all about all the horrible things that will happen if you defy the extreme odds and get pregnant after 40. I would never watch that show, he is a joke. That show is right up there with "The Doctors."

I never take medical advice from doctors who are more interested in being stars than treating patients.

• Options

It made me furious.  I posted over on PGAL about it.

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/62786049.aspx

Me: 39 DH: 35 - TTC #1 since October 2010
    BFP #1 2-1-11 Missed Miscarriage 3-14-11(9 wks)-D&C
    BFP #2 9-17-11 EDD 5-29-12
    Edward James born 3-14-12 weighing 1lb11oz at 29w1d via c section due to low fluid and growth restriction from crappy placenta.
    My BFP Chart
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers <a href="http://s1088.photobucket.com/albums/i339/sbphotos1/?action=view
  • Options
    imageleffe1:

I watched it. It really focused on women over 40 who aren't pg. They talked about fertility treatments etc. There was this one woman on the show who said if a woman is pg at 40 or more than most likely she conceived with donor eggs. I think this is a bunch of crap and there are so many women who used their own eggs( like me and I am 40).

They also went through stats that 97% of your eggs are used by age of 40. Also, that your chances to conceive each month are only 5%, at 30 it is 20%. The whole show was pretty dismal as far as being able to conceive after 40.

Boy, i'm glad I didnt waste my time watching this.  Why do they have to make it sound so awful for women over 40?  I would have cried if I watched this when we decided to go for #2.  I would have thought my chances of conceiving were next to nil. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

Thanks all for responding...Guess I didn't miss much and by the sound of things, I'm glad I didn't watch because what you all mentioned would have infuriated me as well.

• Options
    While I did not watch, I trust that every woman over 35 knows statistically her chances diminish and so forth. We're over 35 which means we can read.  I'm not sure why they needed a whole show pointing at AMA's who are having trouble. Some of us had an easy time getting here some of us took many years to get here - I don't suppose they represented both?  Just sounds annoying.
  • Options
    I saw the show and like many others I was infuriated within the first five minutes!  It did not represent all sides of conceiving after 35! He is an alarmist. If I did not know any better I would have thought I should have never tried after watching that nonsense.  I got pregnant at 39 delivered at 40 and expecting number two at 41... Without any help, other than prayer! Smh!
  • Options
    Yes, it was definitely biased against older moms, it was a waste of an hour. The one that ticked me was the audience member that got up and said she believes in women having children when they are younger because her mom had her when she was 40 then died at 47 leaving her motherless. I am very sorry about her loss, but 47 isn't a standard age of a woman passing away - that could've happened if her mother had her at 20 and died at 27. I feel it was really pointless that they even included that in the show's airing. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    It was another negative hour of TV.  I had to turn it off.
  • Options
    imageYaraC:

I didn't watch but I heard it was all about all the horrible things that will happen if you defy the extreme odds and get pregnant after 40. I would never watch that show, he is a joke. That show is right up there with "The Doctors."

I never take medical advice from doctors who are more interested in being stars than treating patients.

ITA! 

DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"