Health & Exercise
Options

Caloric Needs & Exercise while BF'ing?

Hi all!

I lurk here pretty regularly :)  I've posted only once or twice... but have a question for anyone who is BF'ing and trying to get back into a regular diet and exercise program.

What/how are you doing this?  I still have about 11 weeks left in this pregnancy, but I want a plan in place for myself as soon as I have her.  I understand I'll have to wait until I'm cleared for exercise (and that most often, that's about 6 weeks time).  I guess I'm more concerned with the diet end of it.

Has anyone found any good resources/websites for how to eat healthfully enough and keep calories low enough to lose the baby weight while still eating ENOUGH to maintain supply?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Caloric Needs & Exercise while BF'ing?

• Options

weight watchers has a program for nursing moms. i know a few moms using it, but BFing didn't work out for me, so no first hand experience.

most (not all) moms say that they lose weight b/c of the BFing, so focus on eating healthy, going for just walks at first, then adjusting from there. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks!! I didn't know that about Weight Watchers; I'll definitely check it out!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I lost all my pregnancy weight (22 pounds) the first week after giving birth. I started working out 3 weeks pp lightly and I just focus on eating clean and reasonable. I have breast fed since birth and my son is 3 months and healthy. I don't like counting calories and i just focus on eating things with good nutrition. I currently do a mixture of slim in 6, 30 day shred and ripped in 30 6 days a week and haven't had a drop in my milk production. Drink lots of water and just focus on eating clean. 
  • Options

I'm a group fitness instructor and went back to teaching (6-10 classes per week) right at the 6 week mark and had no problem maintaining supply.

Keep hydrated and eat. . . and if you notice supply issues just eat some more.

With my DD, the weight dropped off right away and I was actually below my prepregnancy weight.

With DS, I held on to a few pounds above my prepregnancy weight and then lost them (about 8 lbs.) right after he weaned, so experiences can be very different.

imageimage Ashley Sawtelle Photography
  • Options

I am now 11 weeks pp and have only lost 10 of my 30 lbs of baby weight.  I'm EBF and thought that nursing would help shed some of the weight.  I also still look like I'm about 5 months pg, and I'm normally a pretty slender person.  I'm telling you this because I was really surprised that I'm about to go back to work and barely fit in any clothes.  I should have gotten my butt off the couch a lot sooner! 

Are you familiar with kellymom.com?  This is an awesome website with lots of info about BF, not just weight/exercise.  I have found a lot of great info here.  I'm now starting some exercise videos and am not seeing any dip in supply.  I try to drink a lot of water and eat lots of fruits.  Good luck!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    The whole idea that BF makes "weight fall off" is bull$hit. See my siggy. I expected to hold onto maybe 10lb while BF but not 40! I know I am only 5.5wks PP but I haven't lost any weight in 3 weeks. I walk 3-4 miles everyday as long as it's not raining. I also started back doing yoga last week. I guess my point is BF isn't a magically solution to losing baby weight.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Options

Thanks so much ladies!! I've done clean eating in the past, so I can definitely go back to that once she's here to help the weight come off... I was worried that BF-ing wouldn't be a magical solution, so even though I plan to BF, I don't want to depend on that. 

Ill definitely check out that website too!! Thank you for the resource. 

• Options
    My friend is a WW leader, and you can absolutely join while breast feeding!  I'm thinking about it, too!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

imagejesselayne8:
    The whole idea that BF makes "weight fall off" is bull$hit. See my siggy. I expected to hold onto maybe 10lb while BF but not 40! I know I am only 5.5wks PP but I haven't lost any weight in 3 weeks. I walk 3-4 miles everyday as long as it's not raining. I also started back doing yoga last week. I guess my point is BF isn't a magically solution to losing baby weight.

I am the same way! I exercised up until the day I delivered. My Dr. even cleared me at 1 week pp to start running again. I have been running/exercising every day since then. I only gained 30lbs while I was pregnant and thought it would fall off since I worked so hard. Not the case. BF makes me hungry!!!! I am not even eating dairy and I haven't lost a single lb in weeks! ugh......at least my baby is happy and healthy:)

BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"