Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Half day preschool program - question?

How much time does DC spend outside in a mornings only program?

One I looked at is a 3 hr program, and 1.5 hrs are outside. It is my first tour, so I don't know what to compare it to, but it seems like a lot....

(also posted on Preschool board)

Re: Half day preschool program - question?

• Options
    There is a ton of research that shows kids actually thrive more in an environment when they are outside. I would 100% choose a school with more outside time than less. My ds spends at least 1.5 hours of 3 outside.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

sounds very age appropriate and awesome to have that much outside time.

I used to be Goldie_locks_5 but the new nest is so screwed up that I was forced to start over.
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree that it sounds like a great program. If you're worried about it try asking what they do outside. Is it a free for aloof kids playing or do they have activities. Either way, outside time is great. T goes outside everyday & loves it. Plus it's great come bed time because he has burned off all his energy!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I agree that 1.5 hours seems like a lot, but not necessarily bad. I'd be impressed with a pre-school that encouraged so much outside play. We live in a very cold climate so there's not much of the school year that can be spent outside, but I know that on the nicer winter days they still bundle the kids up for outside time.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I think ours is like 30 mins!  DS1 goes 8-11am.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I guess I am struggling to understand why you think so much outside time is a bad thing?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    DD goes to a 3 hr program and they spend 50 min- 1 hr outside.
  • Options
    Don't think of it as free play, kids just running around time.  I worked as a preschool teacher and we were required to have a "curriculum" for outside time.  The children were still able to play but we also interacted with them.  We played games together which, if the teacher is creative enough, reenforces what they are learning in the classroom.  It's also science lessons, going on natures walks, observing changes in nature, etc.  At this age children learn through play so outside time is great!
  • Options

Thank you so much! It was our first preschool tour (Montessori). I guess I imagined more circle time/centers/crafts/practiacal life applications. 

Maybe I take our warm weather for granted :) 

• Options
    I'd LOVE it if dd spent that much time outside! But only goes for 2 hours but they only spend about 20 minutes outside. Sadly.
  • Options
    I would be thrilled if a preschool I was looking at offered that much outside time. It is so important for that age group. I would go as far as saying it's crucial!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I feel like a schmuck! I never even asked about outside time at my daughter's preschool! I suppose I will have to ask when I drop her off this week. =)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    September 2015 Siggy Challenge - Happy Dance
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"