Cloth Diapering
Options

What am I doing wrong?

I use gdiapers for DS during the day and I use BG 4.0 for bedtime, everything is great, except that in the morning DS's diapers smell so bad like ammonia.  I don't think it's just his urine because the cloth doesn't smell.

Now DS STTN so he has the diaper on for about 12 hours, however I still don't think this is normal, when I pull the cloth inserts out my eyes burn from the ammonia smell.  I have tried stripping them in the washing machine and when they are clean there is no odour at all.  I use Rockin Green soap and I also use the Rockin Green powder in the laundry bag to keep the smell away.

Any suggestions or thoughts as to why or what I should be doing differently?  

I bought the diapers new and have been using them for about 9-10 months.

TIA 

image image image

Re: What am I doing wrong?

• Options

You're not doing anything wrong. Any pee sitting around for 10-12 hours is going to smell like ammonia. 'Tis the nature of the beast.

As long as they smell clean when they're washed, don't reek at the first hint of pee, or aren't causing any irritation, you're good.

• Options
    imageDr.Loretta:

You're not doing anything wrong. Any pee sitting around for 10-12 hours is going to smell like ammonia. 'Tis the nature of the beast.

As long as they smell clean when they're washed, don't reek at the first hint of pee, or aren't causing any irritation, you're good.

Ditto this. My ON diapers smell pretty bad in the morning too. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Diagnosed with PCOS March '10 - Started 1000mg of Metformin
    After 3 unsuccessful Clomid cycles, FSH+Ovidril+IUI+Progesterone=BFP!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Time to make Emilie a big sister!

May '16 2.0: Letrozole+FSH+Menopur+Ovidril+IUI+Progesterone=BFP! first beta-45.44, second beta-148

BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I had horrible ammonia issues until I switched to Tide.    I had used rockin' green, Nellie's, and tiny bubbles.     Tide got rid of the ammonia and stink issues.    Just make sure to rinse thoroughly.   I haven't had to strip my dipes in a year.

eta:   ditto pp's.......morning dipes will smell bad, no matter what.   Although, I do notice my pockets smell worse than my fitteds in the morning. 

• Options

In my personal experience it means they are not getting clean enough. The bacteria is not getting rinsed clean and the urine is reactivating it. This is just my opinion but RnG does not work for most people. Ammonia is not normal. I used to think it was but after using CD for 4 years and being on many CD message forums I think it just comes down to they are not clean enough.

Again, this is only my opinion but I would disinfect them (bleach, TTO, Hydrogen Peroxide, Oxy) before I would ever put them back on my LO. Then I would switch detergents. You really can't ruin them by getting them clean. The best thing I ever learned from lots of CD veterans is to treat them like you would a load of towels that got pee and poop on them. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"