Natural Birth

Want to labor in water, but GBS+

Is it possible at all to use the tub if I'm GBS+? I had to be hooked up to IV antibiotics with my daughter, and I'm fairly certain I will be again. What I'm wondering is, if I only need the IV for 4 hours, can I just take it off after that and then get into the tub? Is it mandatory to have the IV in the entire time?

I'm worried that because I'm GBS+, I'll have no choice but to remain hooked up to the IV the entire time, which will then lead to being stuck in bed, lots of fetal monitoring, epi (because I'll be so darn uncomfortable stuck in the bed the whole time) and episiotomoy just like last time.

I would like to be more mobile this time and I really want to labor in water as well. I'm gettting nervous that this isn't going to be possible now. :(

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Want to labor in water, but GBS+

• I was GBS+ with my first and I laboured in the whirlpool.   I wasn't always hooked up to the IV...I was never stuck in bed, I could move around as I pleased.    I was only hooked to the IV for a few minutes every couple of hours (I went to the hospital too soon....)
  • I was positive as well. I did not need to be hooked up constantly and was allowed in the water.
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I think it should only be an issue if your water has broken.  If it has, you should still be able to move around between antiobiotic doses.
    image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • That makes me feel better. I got worried because on the hospital's website it says using the pool/tub isn't suitable for IV medication, but maybe that's just when the IV is actually being used. I'll ask at our tour next week. Thanks!
  • I was GBS+ and labored in the tub. I sat on the ball while the IV was in place (a few minutes) and went in the tub right after. It actually worked out because the IV was given while the tub was filling anyway.
  • I was GBS+ and my water had broken and I still spent much of my labor in the tub. The only thing you'll have to do is keep the IV sight out of the water. Mine was in my right hand, so I just rested that hand on the side of the tub and kept it dry. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagefrostnoel:
    I think it should only be an issue if your water has broken.  

Why would that be a problem?

My water was broken for my entire 40 hour labor and I spent more than 50 percent in the tub.

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• My OB told me that if I was GBS+ then I would just need to come to the hospital sooner so that I could get both rounds of IV antibiotics in first and then they could take out the IV and I could get into the tub.  She also stressed that just because I came in earlier, that they wouldn't rush me and would leave me be to labor how I wished, but that the antibiotics were just a priority and time was an issue with getting them in me.  So I was pretty happy with that answer and explanation.  I definitely plan to labor in the jacuzzi tub.
    dx MF & FF IF
    Off B.C. Jan '06, started charting Feb '08, 2% morphology and PCOS, no O with meds,
    IVF w/ICSI only option to conceive.
    Licensed Foster Parents 07.11
    Miracle BFP 7.20.11 1st beta 6,274! EDD 3.17.12
    Miracle Baby born March 5, 2012 . 6lbs 1oz, 19 3/4"
    Miracle BFP #2 10.8.12 - edd 6.20.13

Lilypie First Birthday tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • What others have said. I know moms who have had water births and were GBS+. Antibiotics usually are in your system for a while, so as long as you get started on them before you go into labor there really shouldn't be an issue. 

I would honestly tell my doctor, if I were you, no IV's! You will take pill medication, which also will help. IV's can disrupt your hormones while laboring due to the saline diluting them down. 

• I asked my midwife about this because I am planning a waterbirth and she said it's really not a big deal.  I will have a heplock so they will just hook me up to the IV to get the antibiotics and then take it off after that.  I can even stay in the tub while I have the IV hooked up.
  • imagepinksweetpea2:

imagefrostnoel:
    I think it should only be an issue if your water has broken.  

Why would that be a problem?

My water was broken for my entire 40 hour labor and I spent more than 50 percent in the tub.

I agree.  It shouldn't be a problem if your water is broken.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"