Military Families

Hey all.

It's been awhile since I've posted here due to DH separating from the NG. But, now he's enlisted in the Marines and is leaving in around a month for Basic. So I've decided to start popping back in. 

I do have a question. But, I think I already know the answer. I've been checking out base/privatized housing at different Marine bases and noticed that some allow pets, some don't, and some have restrictions. I have a Great Dane and Golden Retriever. The Dane will reach around 150 lbs and the Golden around 80 lbs. My best bet will probably be finding somewhere off base to rent I'm guessing?  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Hey all.

• The pet accommodations vary between each base depending on whether or not the housing is privatized and who the company is that runs it and what their policies are. 

FWIW, there are two families in H's class alone who have Danes and live on base. However, our base doesn't allow pit bulls.  

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Ah, cool. I know on Shaw they've made it to where you can't have Pit Bulls, Huskies, Rottweilers, Chows, etc, unless you already had one there. But, you can't get another. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I believe a lot of bases have started to limit restricted breeds and making a limit of 2 four legged pets. 
  • Speaking for Camp Pendleton, which is run by Lincoln, there are family neighborhoods that allow dogs & family neighborhoods that don't. Those that allow dogs have a 2 pet limit. Danes & Goldens are not restricted here. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've not heard of a base that restricts pets based on size, just what they consider to be "aggressive breeds."  In my experience it's just been a two pet limit (without an exception to policy letter).  I've never heard of either of those breeds being considered aggressive though, so I'm sure you'll be fine on post.  Finding housing off post may actually be the more difficult choice, most places that rent do not want large dogs, let alone two of them, and anything over 40 lbs is often considered large.  Imagine their shock when they meet our 90 lbs shepherd... Heehee.  :)
  • imageRelativeChaos00:
    I've not heard of a base that restricts pets based on size, just what they consider to be "aggressive breeds."  In my experience it's just been a two pet limit (without an exception to policy letter).  I've never heard of either of those breeds being considered aggressive though, so I'm sure you'll be fine on post.  Finding housing off post may actually be the more difficult choice, most places that rent do not want large dogs, let alone two of them, and anything over 40 lbs is often considered large.  Imagine their shock when they meet our 90 lbs shepherd... Heehee.  :)

My first choice would def. be on base. Haha, I saw one that said that you could have two animals but there weight together could not be over 50lbs. I was like well...I guess 180 ish lbs over the limit is a little much.  

• Here at Camp Lejeune, you can have 2 four legged friends on base, and as far as I know there is no weight limit. In fact both of the main housing areas for enlisted have dog parks! They just don't allow aggressive breeds, and I don't think they are considered aggressive. They also have to be microchipped and UTD on shots.

• imagejulesdac65:

Here at Camp Lejeune, you can have 2 four legged friends on base, and as far as I know there is no weight limit. In fact both of the main housing areas for enlisted have dog parks! They just don't allow aggressive breeds, and I don't think they are considered aggressive. They also have to be microchipped and UTD on shots.

Awesome :) I wouldn't think a Dane would be considered aggressive unless they have it categorized as a Mastiff (Danes are German Mastiffs). But, the Cane Corso is considered a "military dog" and they are Mastiffs lol. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"