Military Families

Favors for a "Military-Baby" themed shower?

So my mom & best friend are hosting my shower and I had the bright idea to have a military themed shower with a combo of digital camouflage & baby blue decorations. The decor will not really be the hard part but we'd like to give out some unique favors, especially since it's a co-ed shower. Anyone have any bright ideas? Maybe little gift bags stuffed with a few small items?

Re: Favors for a "Military-Baby" themed shower?

• What if you did cookies in the shape of dogtags with the baby's name and EDD? Throw one in a cello bag and tie it up.
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • Dog tags for a baby shower make me uncomfortable. They're for identifying bodies. 
    I've seen a lot of military surprise homecomings. It wouldn't work on me. I always have my back to the corner and my face to the door. Looking for terrorists, criminals, various other threats, and husbands.
  • Loading the player...
  • I used an image of dog tags in my invitation. One says, "It's a boy!" and the other has the due date. So the cookie idea would really go along with that.

• You guys could all pose Abu Ghraib style in front of your cake.  Or you could pee on people, as that seems to be the current taboo.

Dog tags aren't jewelry.

Twin boys due 7/25/12
  • If you want to make the dog tag cookies to go with invites, I say go for it.

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMrsOjoButtons:

You guys could all pose Abu Ghraib style in front of your cake.  Or you could pee on people, as that seems to be the current taboo.

Dog tags aren't jewelry.

Or maybe pass out KIA/MIA bracelets! Going along with the dog tag theme.

CJ 05/29/2013

• I asked DH if he would be offended if dog tags were used in a baby shower if we were having a boy. He said no, its part of military culture. He put it as not using a badge for a cops child's birthday cake.  His company makes dog tags for every new baby born. He doesn't make the death connection and he has had to use them for the intended purpose.

If it offends you then you can find another route. But Us, as a military family, see nothing wrong with it. Some people might and that's okay too.

BabyFruit Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • WOW! Completely appalled by some of the comments you received. I think that the dog tag cookie idea is something cute. As a Navy brat and having been married to the navy for 10 years, I don't see anything wrong with incorporating something that is a very big part of your life into the baby shower. I know that I was proud of everyone I knew that was serving and it really pisses me off that people are taking this and being complete asses about it. And as far as the KIA/POW/MIA bracelets, if they weren't so expensive, I would say go for it. I wear mine everyday to remember the sacrifices that were made for me, my children and my country. I hope that you have a super wonderful baby shower
    BabyFruit Ticker IAmPregnant TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Lurker here, former military wife...

I thought of american flags when I read the title of your post. Have fun! 

Momma to 2 sweet girls here on earth and a precious baby boy in heaven
  • I'm OK with the dog tag cookies too. We all know what dog tags are for, but they are used commercially as well. DH, who's a lifer,  wears a pair with an inscribed message from me daily. It wouldn't help if someone found his body, but it's a way of being close to home while he's far away. Once LO is born, I totally intend to send another tag with her name and birthdate on it. I think the cookies are a cute idea.
  • I like the idea.

Everyone who made arrogant comments, can shut the f*&^ up! 

BabyFetus Ticker
    baby
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    danceonacloud.blogspot.com
  • imagemisstorie0304:

I like the idea.

They aren't arrogant. They are the truth. ID tags are to identify dead or seriously wounded bodies. I personally think you walk a very fine line between classy and tacky with a military themed shower.
    30 Rock Pictures, Images and Photos
  • I'm not a military person, however, my impression of her idea is in support of her hubby and the military.  I think the theme is a cute idea.  Dog tags are very popular - my kids get them at school for achievements.  (it's a positive thing)

The rude comments here don't make sense to me.  Isn't The Bump a place where we support eachother and not ridicule? 

Stick with us May Facebook Moms - where we stick up for eachother.  =)

Pregnancy Ticker BabyName Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  •     I see nothing wrong with using them as part of your shower. Besides your suppose to ID a body using the active duty's ID card if available first. This is a military board why be so harsh ladies??

I know the PX and Shoppettes sell gummy Army men maybe some of those or Jello stars in red/white and blue??

GL with your shower

• imagemisstorie0304:

Um, no.

I like American flags, but you'll do what you want. Just like the AW wives who wear their H's dog tags over their clothes. 

I've seen a lot of military surprise homecomings. It wouldn't work on me. I always have my back to the corner and my face to the door. Looking for terrorists, criminals, various other threats, and husbands.
  • imageWishIcouldbeinthe'stan:
    imagemisstorie0304:

Um, no.

I like American flags, but you'll do what you want. Just like the AW wives who wear their H's dog tags over their clothes. 

If you've ever been through a long-term deployment and understand the intense need to find ways to feel close to your deployed spouse 24/7, then this comment makes you the biggest a** EVER.

If you haven't been through a long-term deployment, then this comment STILL makes you the biggest a** EVER.

What makes you think you are better than other people? What gives YOU the right to judge how other people cope?

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • My friend put little plastic army men on her baby cake and on almost every flat surface for the party.
  • imagekitcat6351:
    imageWishIcouldbeinthe'stan:
    imagemisstorie0304:

Um, no.

If you've ever been through a long-term deployment and understand the intense need to find ways to feel close to your deployed spouse 24/7, then this comment makes you the biggest a** EVER.

If you haven't been through a long-term deployment, then this comment STILL makes you the biggest a** EVER.

What makes you think you are better than other people? What gives YOU the right to judge how other people cope?

Her DH is currently deployed.
    30 Rock Pictures, Images and Photos
  • imageshelllbe:
    My friend put little plastic army men on her baby cake and on almost every flat surface for the party.

This, plus flags and a red/white/blue theme would be adorable. I think you can even get little plates and stuff with grenades or camo pattersn. But please stay away from the dog tags.

CJ 05/29/2013

• imageLemonLover33:
    imagekitcat6351:
    imagemisstorie0304:

Um, no.

So then statement #1 applies. As do my last two questions.

• Lurker here...

I'm on team anti-dog tag as jewelry, cookies, etc.  I have plenty of ways that I manage to keep my husband close without wearing his dog tags.  He has a ring for the field/deployment and I wear his good ring on a necklace.  To use that as a defense is just silly.

You know that the tag on the small chain is for the SM's toe when he dies...like a toe tag in a morgue, right?  I have several other reasons I don't like the idea.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagekitcat6351:
    imageLemonLover33:
    imagekitcat6351:
    imagemisstorie0304:

Um, no.

You might want to point that finger back at your self.  The anti-dog tag people in this thread, to include myself, include current or former service members.  When my husband was shot and dying and his clothes were cut from his body, one of his dog tags was taped to him so they would know who he was. No, an ID is not the first thing used to ID you.   When my best friend was killed, the dog tag and the boot it was in was all that was left. It isn't a dagum piece of jewlery for you to wear while he's gone.  It identifies the dead and wounded.  There are many, many things you can do to feal close to your H when he's gone. 

I earned mine.  That's what gives me the right to judge.  If that's what you want on your cookies, fine.  You think about this post when you eat that cookie. 

• imageiluvmytxrgr:

You might want to point that finger back at your self.  The anti-dog tag people in this thread, to include myself, include current or former service members.  When my husband was shot and dying and his clothes were cut from his body, one of his dog tags was taped to him so they would know who he was. No, an ID is not the first thing used to ID you.   When my best friend was killed, the dog tag and the boot it was in was all that was left. It isn't a dagum piece of jewlery for you to wear while he's gone.  It identifies the dead and wounded.  There are many, many things you can do to feal close to your H when he's gone. 

I earned mine.  That's what gives me the right to judge.  If that's what you want on your cookies, fine.  You think about this post when you eat that cookie. 

well. if that doesn't drive the point home, nothing will.  

• imagekitcat6351:
    imageLemonLover33:
    imagekitcat6351:
    imagemisstorie0304:

Um, no.

I feel silly responding after Tx's comment, which I completely agree with, though I'm not a service member, nor have I been. 

I have been through long term deployments on the home front. MH is currently deployed, as LL pointed out. He has a dangerous MOS. We don't talk as often as most couples get to, but I know we talk more than a lot of people whose H's are stuck at remote FOBs and the like. I feel connected to him pretty much all the time even without talking, because, well, I dig him. Also, I've got a wedding ring which, you know, connects me to my husband as well. All the jewelry I need regarding him.

If you'll look again at my comment, it was A) in response to being told to shut the f up, and B) a specific comment about wearing dog tags over one's clothes to gain attention. You want to wear your H's dog tags on a chain under your shirt? I'll think it's weird as heck, but I won't judge it particularly harshly. My issue is 100% with the need for attention that seems to be in the DNA of 50% of dependent spouses. Women do not wear their H's dog tags over their shirts, visibly, to feel connected to their H. They wear it so that everyone knows that their H is in, and that he's deployed. That's not only AW, it's bad PERSEC! C) I'm a civilized homo sapien. That's what gives me the ability to judge, I don't need the right to judge, because it's a natural ability that comes with critical thinking ability. Judgment is how society maintains its standards.

• imageLemonLover33:
    imagemisstorie0304:

I like the idea.

They aren't arrogant. They are the truth. ID tags are to identify dead or seriously wounded bodies. I personally think you walk a very fine line between classy and tacky with a military themed shower.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Plus, why would you want to see camo everywhere you go? I tend to stray far, far away from military themed anything....by the end of the day, I've had enough of the military. I don't want reminders scattered throughout my free time. 

I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds dog tags morbid instead of cutesy. Those two little metal pieces are not used in joyous times. The larger chain has 365 beads so that a soldier who has become a P.O.A can keep track of the days he spends somewhere off in a dark hole. The smaller is used as a toe tags

They don't put the SM's religion and blood type on the dog tags just in case someone is curious...they put it there because once the dog tags actually fulfill their given duty, the SM is in dire need of a blood transfusion or, even worse, a chaplain to bless them before they pass in the religious manner of their choice.

Yeah, no thanks. 

• Seriously? Hahahaha- they're dog tags!! The military engraves and gives them out in the masses to kids at family events and for youth program promos. I know tons of spouses, in addition to myself, who wear them while they're spouse is deployed, same as those "in honor of" bracelets (which are incredibly popular too, are you against those as well since some wear them for KIA or POW, etc?). MH *asked* me to wear them while he was away, as a sign he was coming back to me. And it's not like she suggested bullet-shaped cookies... Aye, people...

• imagekitcat6351:
    Seriously? Hahahaha- they're dog tags!! The military engraves and gives them out in the masses to kids at family events and for youth program promos. I know tons of spouses, in addition to myself, who wear them while they're spouse is deployed, same as those "in honor of" bracelets (which are incredibly popular too, are you against those as well since some wear them for KIA or POW, etc?). MH *asked* me to wear them while he was away, as a sign he was coming back to me. And it's not like she suggested bullet-shaped cookies... Aye, people...

It's not the same as a KIA/MIA bracelet. Those are for rememberance, not identifying someone's body. Apples == oranges. Plus, you realize those dog tags have SSNs on them right? So if you were wearing them and lost them or the chain broke, you're setting yourself up for identity theft.  And I have never, in my 7 years enlisted, been to an event where they handed out engraved dog tags. I have a plastic one that my chaplain gave me with a bible quote on it, but that's the only one I've ever been given. But it appears there's no changing your opinion so it's pretty pointless to keep explaining this.

CJ 05/29/2013

• OP, check out this site: https://www.orientaltrading.com/api/search?Ntt=military (Sorry, I can't make it a clicky on my mac...). I like the little rubber duckies and think they'd be great for a baby shower! 

Munchkin born 11/22/11
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pipsqueak born 6/9/14
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imagekitcat6351:
    imagemisstorie0304:

Um, no.

I just finished my enlistment and my husband is still in, thank you very much. I served my country. 

Dog tags are everywhere, people bedazzle them. Technically not even a wife or anyone should have them but the military member themselves on a deployment.

But if someone wants to have a baby shower in camo/military theme, so what? She asked for f*&$ing advice, not to be trashed. 

BabyFetus Ticker
    baby
    danceonacloud.blogspot.com
  • First off, I don't feel as though I'm being trashed because I only asked for ideas for favors. (And I think I only got one or two ideas). Truth is, there are members of the military who feel that using the dog tags any other way than what they were originally intended for is just wrong and there are members, like my DH who is still in the military who doesn't have a problem with it. One of you ladies stated that the reason I am having a military themed shower is in honor of my husband and in support of him and that is exactly why I've chosen that theme. To ease the minds of all of you who feel that dog tags are inappropriate, I will not be using them but only because I found something that I feel is perfect to give to my guests.

• imageSammy0709:

Lurker here...

I'm on team anti-dog tag as jewelry, cookies, etc.  I have plenty of ways that I manage to keep my husband close without wearing his dog tags.  He has a ring for the field/deployment and I wear his good ring on a necklace.  To use that as a defense is just silly.

You know that the tag on the small chain is for the SM's toe when he dies...like a toe tag in a morgue, right?  I have several other reasons I don't like the idea.

I wear my husband's Air Force Academy ring as a necklace when he's deployed. I'm currently wearing it right now.

As for the dog tag cookies, I say go for it.  I think they are cute.  I grew up in an Army family and I'm married to an AF officer.  Yes, I know what the intended purpose of the dog tags are, but I view them as just being part of the uniform.  My husband may not wear his around his neck due to flight regulations, but he is still required to carry them in a certain pocket of his flight suit.  I never get upset or start feeling uneasy when I see him shove them in that pocket before he leaves for work. Even though my husband has an extra pair (he recently noticed that the pair he's had for the last 7 years had the wrong blood type on it), I don't wear them.  Personally, I'm not a big fan of other people who aren't the military member actually wearing dog tags or replicas of dog tags, basically, just because I view it a piece of the uniform.  However, I see no problem with using things made to look like dog tags as part of military themed party, since they are part of being in the military and part of the military uniform.  When my cousin came home from Iraq the first time he was there, his wife sent out invites that looked like dog tags and said "Operation: Welcome Home Tim."  I did not think to myself "that is morbid sending out an invite that looks like the item that would have been used to identify his body had he died over there."  I just thought of the invite she made as representing a very important piece of his uniform.  Since the dog tag cookies aren't something that anyone would actually wear, I have no problem with them and actually think they are very fitting for the theme of the shower.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker image
  • imagejlgregory75:

First off, I don't feel as though I'm being trashed because I only asked for ideas for favors. (And I think I only got one or two ideas). Truth is, there are members of the military who feel that using the dog tags any other way than what they were originally intended for is just wrong and there are members, like my DH who is still in the military who doesn't have a problem with it. One of you ladies stated that the reason I am having a military themed shower is in honor of my husband and in support of him and that is exactly why I've chosen that theme. To ease the minds of all of you who feel that dog tags are inappropriate, I will not be using them but only because I found something that I feel is perfect to give to my guests.

Oh, and by the way, I like the little military baby holding the flag thing that you found to use instead.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker image
  • imageTomHope2011:
    imagejlgregory75:

First off, I don't feel as though I'm being trashed because I only asked for ideas for favors. (And I think I only got one or two ideas). Truth is, there are members of the military who feel that using the dog tags any other way than what they were originally intended for is just wrong and there are members, like my DH who is still in the military who doesn't have a problem with it. One of you ladies stated that the reason I am having a military themed shower is in honor of my husband and in support of him and that is exactly why I've chosen that theme. To ease the minds of all of you who feel that dog tags are inappropriate, I will not be using them but only because I found something that I feel is perfect to give to my guests.

Oh, and by the way, I like the little military baby holding the flag thing that you found to use instead.  

Thank you!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"